Hi all. I've been working on a DIY steering wheel project for some months and now it's done so want to share my work. The wheel I made is inspired by Cosworth CCW MK2 which is mainly used in many LMP2 cars. I reckon all of you want to see the final product so here it is!:)
Cost report / Parts list can be found here
Download magnetic paddle shifter 3D files (.stl) here

All the links are for Japanese pages but most of them can be found in any countries.
The whole build only cost approximetely $300.
Thinking about selling data of the wheel for 3D print and laser cut (EDIT* The model was updated with better paddle shifter and side covers to hide all the mess inside. The price is now 30Euro.) Incase you’re interested, please contact me for further info (Dimentions need to be adjusted depending on buttons, encoders, display, Quick release you desire to use)
If you want a complete wheel, please contact me too.

NOTE: After building quite a few steering wheels, I though I should redesign this wheel fundamentally. The data and the complete wheel will be available soon. Thanks for your patience.

Photo 14-01-2019, 15 22 54.jpg

Photo 14-01-2019, 15 23 02.jpg

Photo 15-01-2019, 23 14 39.jpg

Last edited:
Just to heads up. I’ll be working on a new wheel later this month - next month. It will be Corvette C7 GTE style rim. As I’ve started to order some components/electronics for the build, it’ll go smoother for me to make one. Let me know if you’re interested. :):thumbsup:
Encoder knobs look a bit odd so I'll fix it lol
Also I can put toggle switches instead too.
Assembly_2019-Jan-26_03-14-26PM-000_CustomizedView12501031531_png.png

Upvote 0
BloodySalmonMan, you not need use 2 arduino, and usbhub: you have 10 push button + 2 shift paddles, 3 encoders, 1 rotary switch (I'm dot understand how you use it), pins #: encoders 2+3+gnd,4+5+gnd,6+7+gnd. matrix for buttons+shifters+rotary switch; rows 8,9,10,14,15,16 columns 18,19,20 ( 18 buttons : 10 push buttons + 2 paddles + 6 rotary switch); leds pin #21

Attachments

• pins.png
    pins.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 663
Upvote 0
BloodySalmonMan, you not need use 2 arduino, and usbhub: you have 10 push button + 2 shift paddles, 3 encoders, 1 rotary switch (I'm dot understand how you use it), pins #: encoders 2+3+gnd,4+5+gnd,6+7+gnd. matrix for buttons+shifters+rotary switch; rows 8,9,10,14,15,16 columns 18,19,20 ( 18 buttons : 10 push buttons + 2 paddles + 6 rotary switch); leds pin #21
Yep, one arduino can handle two tasks and that's exactly what I noticed quite recently.
I'm new to using Arduino so thank you for the tip I'll test it out:thumbsup::thumbsup:

P.S. And yours looks awesome! Nice work mate

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your steering wheel is amazing. I, too, made such a, but not can understand as to combine in one sketch on Arduino two analog axis, several encoders and array from buttons. Do not know how to do it?

Upvote 0
Your steering wheel is amazing. I, too, made such a, but not can understand as to combine in one sketch on Arduino two analog axis, several encoders and array from buttons. Do not know how to do it?

Thanks mate!
I just followed the step from this video so not sure about the analog inputs but 4 rotary encoders work with push buttons.
After building this wheel, I found this rotary encoder. I wanted to use this so bought a LeoBodnar board, which by the way supports analog inputs, in order to get it work perfectly. So I'd say go for LeoBodnar board because it's a lot more reliable than Arduino although it is a bit costly.
Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Wow that looks amazing, well done.
Would there be anyway for me to make this compatible with a Thrustmaster T300RS for PS4, or will this only work on PC? Thanks!
Hi Ellis, thanks for the kind message. :)
The wheel is only compatible with pc unfortunately. It might be possible to get it work with PS4 by using the original circuit board from the original thrustmaster wheel, although I'd say it could be hard as this wheel as quite a few buttons on it. Thanks

Upvote 0
hello I finally succeeded after a lot of research on the subject a person who offers to detail how a DIY project of a simracing wheel to tell the truth I like the result which is magnificent. I have in mind to make a steering wheel to replace my g29 which is not appreciable after several hours spent on AC or F1. I would have 2 questions to ask the first because you do not have to use a usb card which would be frankly more practical for the buttons on the steering wheel and then why not improve the fixing of the thrustmaster towards a fast fanatec style? ?

Whether it is in the style of your DIY and just incredible I love ^^ but for people like me who do not have much knowledge in DIY and who are quite young it will be very complicated to reproduce ?? by ^^? par ^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hello I finally succeeded after a lot of research on the subject a person who offers to detail how a DIY project of a simracing wheel to tell the truth I like the result which is magnificent. I have in mind to make a steering wheel to replace my g29 which is not appreciable after several hours spent on AC or F1. I would have 2 questions to ask the first because you do not have to use a usb card which would be frankly more practical for the buttons on the steering wheel and then why not improve the fixing of the thrustmaster towards a fast fanatec style? ?

Whether it is in the style of your DIY and just incredible I love ^^ but for people like me who do not have much knowledge in DIY and who are quite young it will be very complicated to reproduce ?? by ^^? par ^^

Hi, thanks for your message.
I'm not quite sure what you meant by saying 'fast' Fanatec style. The LeoBodnar board offers instant connection too.
Some of the reasons why I didn't implement the thrustmaster connection system are:
a) Lack of compatibility. If the buttons are wired through the Thrustmaster wheelbase then the wheel can only be used with the Thrustmaster wheelbase.
b) Thrustmaster wheel's PCB is relatively larger than LeoBodnar board.

Also, I didn't make wheels for those who want to reproduce. All I did was to found my own business (Taichi SRW). And by the time I made the first wheel, I had ZERO knowledge about wiring buttons, the connection between Software and Hardware, etc. I was 19 years old, although it can be very old for you. :rolleyes:

There's no easy path if you want to make good things mate, keep learning and you'll get there. (I might perhaps Tweet some useful things on my Twitter @SalmonAcEng . You'll still probably need a translator tho)

Upvote 0
Haha no it's okay i can read a message in English I'm not so bad:whistling:. But Understand that your products are slightly out of my budget :whistling: (300€) but I go look every time your product to better understand how I should organize myself. But i'am on G29 logitech product is not like thrustmaster mechanics. I going to use the ams tutorial is more for beginners like me. I know I don't keep de easier choose but I crazy about diy and challenge ^^ thanks for your help. And no 19 years old is not old I'm just little bit younger than you...
(this message was write with out Google translate ;)

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea