DIY Headnet from Elastic Sewing Band

Hey!
I have been playing with the ide to make a headnet/driver net from Elastic Sewing Band for long, and after doing it I like to share my findings and struggles.

image.jpg

materials and tools:
Elastic Sewing Band ~3m
Polyester tread
Sawing machine
Sewing needle
3d printer and material

Attach method:
Tha hardest part was to figures out how the net should attach to the rig, so that looks well and most importantly is nice to use.

after manydifferent connection designs I ended up with the simplest one.
Just a slot with a t shaped insert.

This way just one hand is needed to close the net and you don’t mind using it :)
67FC37D7-4BDC-45C4-BCB8-6D61E4BB6F9F.jpeg

image.jpg

The lock is connected to the rig using flatbar of steel with holes for the 8020 profile.

the back of the net is using belt buckles I printed so that it can be adjusted.
image.jpg

and in order to get the net so sit where I liked I have to add some extra 8020 profile I hade from a different project, but my first ide was to make the net go around the seat and attach with velcro sticky tape.

Making the net:
This was the easiest part of the build, and I more or less just tenshend up the elastic bands where I wanted them and placed an x with sawing needles and dismounted the net and started sawing boxes with and x in the center.

tip: is to use polyester tread ass they ones seems to slip easier true the band.

I left extra band on the horizontal strands that I later trimmed and put some fire on to lock the fibers.

Tip: make sure that the side you see is the one facing up, as the tread seems easily get tangled on the backside : out of sight…

E8567ACF-BD63-40D2-A812-626E791CA740.jpeg

56DDF988-09C6-4733-A973-11A84FB94307.jpeg

Decoration:
And in the end I felt the need to prettyfi it a bit, so using the safecraft headset as inspiration I made 3 slip on part that where attached using superglue. I will share the 3d model soon.
image.jpg

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea