DIY Ferrari 2011 Wheel

At this point in time I'm in the research phase for my future DIY project. I have never done anything like this, and I'm certainly no handy man. You think this sounds weird? Wait till you read what I want to do...

In short, this is what I want to build:
Ferrari-Replica-Steering-Wheel.jpg

Features:
Leo Bodnar SLI-Pro
Shifter paddles
Clutch paddles
Hall effect sensors for clutch (Allegro A1302)
Microswitches for shifters (???)
12 rotary switches
3 regular switches
10 (knitter) pushbuttons (only if I can strike a deal)
Quick release
2 layers of Carbon fibre shell
glass fibre cast
rubber grips

I will create my own CAD drawings, guestimating measurements, with the help from some known sizes, and my own 3d model made for my 3D portfolio.

Estimated cost: €450,-

Yes, this might seem way out of my league for someone who has no experience with this stuff at all. Because it is. But I'm a stubborn bastard and I would love to do this. There isn't a single product on the market which suits me for an affordable price. Buying a Thrustmaster and adjusting that still sucks, since thats costs about 500 without the SLI-Pro and buttons added, and it basically is a plastic toy still..

For now, I have the following questions:
- According to Bodnars' website, the hall effect sensor can be connected directly to the SLI-pro, is this true?
- Is it expensive to have moulds routed/cnc-ed?
- Which microswitches for the shifters? What about the mounting, no idea how just yet.
- Is the quick release worth my money?
- Is it possible to route all wires through the steering wheel/colum into the steering wheel base?
- I will be in the market for a new steering wheel base, Im still using an old Momo Racing. second hand g27?

Any feedback, opinion, help etc, is much appreciated.

edit:
Before I forget, any plans, templates, files I create, will be free to use by the community :) Im just not responsible for any mistakes in them :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Who speaks Italian and can translate the stuff from 8 minutes onward?

I do see the part where the tumble switches are in my model is too shallow, sucks! I'n not going to have another mold milled though, too expensive, I'll deal with this one. There's already some filler in place anyway*. I will fix it in my designs and mold files, so if I screw this one up horrible, it is going to be improved. Maybe when we get a router at work I can take 5mm off or something who knows :)

* I'm using filler in the 90 degree angles to smooth those out to avoid airpockets when making the mold and subsequent castings. (Picked that up from an instruction video ;) )

Upvote 0
What exactly do u want to know? in short he is explaining which button does what, regulate fule mix, regulate max rev, regulate kers etc.. The middle Ferrari switch is more like a menu button of a mobile phone, here u can switch the function of the side buttons.

Upvote 0
He is also explaining what some of the pushbuttons are used for, I would very much like to know what they do. Also, the two tumble switches on the back of the wheel are still a mystery to me :)

The boost switch, I think he mentioned that is used to set the KERS harvesting?

Btw, here is the first render of the new grips, it now includes the indentation for the thumb and is more accurately modelled, I'll have to double check everything this week and will have it 3d-printed or cnc-milled in two halves. Will have to check prices.

2n02f7c.jpg

More filling and sanding on the mold this evening yay.

Upvote 0
Some progress on the part that will be used for the mold:
fntee.jpg

Still a bit rough, but I'll buy a dremel tool next month or the month after. Those things are very handy to use in and around the house anyway :) For now, this is fine. Next week I should receive the 3d prints. After those are in, I'm going to take it a bit slower, because I need money to start building a new computer :)

Upvote 0
I really like your work wgeuze. If you`re going to sell this somewhen you really should take care of the licenses. I got also a f1wheel service running with the t500 ferrari wheel and got a mail from ferrari weeks ago to either stop or change my service.

Also if i where you i wouldnt call Zroso or anyone elses wheel BAD LOOKING until you got something serious to show!:thumbsdown:

Upvote 0
Thanks, if I'm going to sell it at all*, I'm not selling it with a Ferrari logo on it ;)

About the Zroso design, whether or not I can do better, thats not the point, I just don't like the design.

incase belldanndy is foaming at the mouth right now, in the end it will be an expensive item. If it
doesn't live up to my expectations, quality wise, it probably won't to people paying money for it
either. His price by the way, man that is tough to beat!

I think the latest parts will come in on Wednesday, and thanks to the big-ass pricedrop of the G27 wheel, that one will arrive on Tuesday hopefully :D

Thats the last of my expenses for this month though, we also bought a new oven, so need to save money again for my new desktop!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks, if I'm going to sell it at all*, I'm not selling it with a Ferrari logo on it ;)

About the Zroso design, whether or not I can do better, thats not the point, I just don't like the design.

incase belldanndy is foaming at the mouth right now, in the end it will be an expensive item. If it
doesn't live up to my expectations, quality wise, it probably won't to people paying money for it
either. His price by the way, man that is tough to beat!

I think the latest parts will come in on Wednesday, and thanks to the big-ass pricedrop of the G27 wheel, that one will arrive on Tuesday hopefully :D

Thats the last of my expenses for this month though, we also bought a new oven, so need to save money again for my new desktop!

Yes, you're right about me!!

Upvote 0
I really like your work wgeuze. If you`re going to sell this somewhen you really should take care of the licenses. I got also a f1wheel service running with the t500 ferrari wheel and got a mail from ferrari weeks ago to either stop or change my service.

Also if i where you i wouldnt call Zroso or anyone elses wheel BAD LOOKING until you got something serious to show!:thumbsdown:

I think the different between your wheel and wgeuze's one is with all the Ferrari's logo on the wheel and also because you base on the t500 and modify it. As you may know, the t500 is a licensed product from Ferrari. That's why you received that warning from Ferrari.
With wgeuze's one, he created the wheel all from the sketch, and develop the parts bit by bit. So basically, he own the patent right of his design. You may argue the wheel is base on the outlook of the Ferrari 2011, but without the logos and new parts created by wgeuze, it's hard for Ferrari to challenge for the right, if they have ever apply one in the first place. There are others creating F1 wheel looks-a-like here without any problem, so I think he is free from the license problem, I think! Correct me if I'm wrong, just my thought.:)

Upvote 0
I think the different between your wheel and wgeuze's one is with all the Ferrari's logo on the wheel and also because you base on the t500 and modify it. As you may know, the t500 is a licensed product from Ferrari. That's why you received that warning from Ferrari.
With wgeuze's one, he created the wheel all from the sketch, and develop the parts bit by bit. So basically, he own the patent right of his design. You may argue the wheel is base on the outlook of the Ferrari 2011, but without the logos and new parts created by wgeuze, it's hard for Ferrari to challenge for the right, if they have ever apply one in the first place. There are others creating F1 wheel looks-a-like here without any problem, so I think he is free from the license problem, I think! Correct me if I'm wrong, just my thought.:)

Sure, but i never talked about the design, im sure hes smart enough to do patent on it.
I just meant the wheel logos including the rotary labels. Ferrari dont care if its a modification of a licensed product or something scratch build wich got their labels on.
They are just really strange guys like the guys from porsche. Really pitty with all of "their" stuff. Recently im not allowed to offer the ferrari sticker or the rotary labels, thats why my project was delayed. If it got the outside design it doesnt matter, there a real Ferrari Replica Car kits out there for about 15000$ and they sell great.

At least i have to say i like the idea from wgeuze and also the way he do it, thats great!
Im sure it will be a great thing if he sell it, not for the mass cause of the price but great.
Thats why i offer my service wich is "just" a modification, but not a too easy one though.
The price is more reasonable .

Greets Modmate

Upvote 0
The Sli-F1?? Does he gave you any ETA for real? The last thing ive heard that he will have verry limited stock wich is already sold out since monthes.
They told me they were in production big time, to hopefully cope with the demand next month when they plan to release the unit. If that is still the plan, I don't know, they are, especially with the cases, relying on their suppliers, as much as we rely on the Bodnar and Beeson company.

If it's sold out for months, that would suck, but also explains why they want to have a lot of parts in stock ;)

@belldanndy
I knew that ;)
Technically, Modmate and me are both at fault. We are selling a product we do not own the rights to, either by design, copyright, or patent. Yes he is altering an excisting product, which by itself is protected by coopyright and trademark probably as well.

In my case it's very easy though. I'm building this for personal use. I'm not offering anything from a companies' perspective and I'm not planning to. If someone sees what I am doing/have done, like yourself, and asks me to build one for them, sure thing I can do that. Ferrari doesn't care about that. If I were to set up a company, selling these for 1500 euro's, which I could do easily to be quite frank, advertising on all simracing shows, websites, forums, ebay and the like, now that would not take long for them to demand me to stop my venture al together or they will take other measures, maybe even leading up to a lawsuit or atleast threatening with one.

You can compare my case with copying a cd for a friend. Nobody is going to care. Now if you start a cd copying company, that's asking for a shitstorm :p

@modmate
Did they give you a hard time about the rotary labels even? That's just plain silly.
I know team ARC is offering the same thing actually, for 1200 euro's if I'm correct! But, they
are an Italian company after all...

Upvote 0
Sure, but i never talked about the design, im sure hes smart enough to do patent on it.
I just meant the wheel logos including the rotary labels. Ferrari dont care if its a modification of a licensed product or something scratch build wich got their labels on.
They are just really strange guys like the guys from porsche. Really pitty with all of "their" stuff. Recently im not allowed to offer the ferrari sticker or the rotary labels, thats why my project was delayed. If it got the outside design it doesnt matter, there a real Ferrari Replica Car kits out there for about 15000$ and they sell great.

At least i have to say i like the idea from wgeuze and also the way he do it, thats great!
Im sure it will be a great thing if he sell it, not for the mass cause of the price but great.
Thats why i offer my service wich is "just" a modification, but not a too easy one though.
The price is more reasonable .

Greets Modmate
So are they just asking you to remove the sticker and the rotary labels, and you can sell it after that?

Upvote 0
They told me they were in production big time, to hopefully cope with the demand next month when they plan to release the unit. If that is still the plan, I don't know, they are, especially with the cases, relying on their suppliers, as much as we rely on the Bodnar and Beeson company.

@modmate
Did they give you a hard time about the rotary labels even? That's just plain silly.
I know team ARC is offering the same thing actually, for 1200 euro's if I'm correct! But, they
are an Italian company after all...

Hi,

well yes sort of a hard time yes. They force me to offer it without the labels, and that i cannot sell the complete ferarri addon wheel new and modded, just offering the modding service is allowed for me.
Also i add the line that you`ll loose TM guarantee of the wheel itself.
Dont know about ARC, maybe they got some good connections to ferrari itself, and since its italian corp its possible.
They do offer me something more so i can use the stickers on my wheel but that was just off the line and completely NOT good.

For the Sli-F1 i wish you the best to get it, i just heard some rumors over irc these days.
I was also interested in it but honestly as good as leos products are as bad is his support so i went off. Also it would be no longer a reasonable priced Mod i offer cause that thing will be sort of expensive with 150€-200€. But anyway if its on stock somewhen i will offer it also for anyone who want it.

Greets

Upvote 0
you`re right. Its absolutely ok for me. Beside the labels they cant hunt me down on anything. I just offer a modification of a product and also make sure customers know they loose guarantee of the wheel. Therfore i will add guarantuee on my work and installed hardware.
Now enough of that and btt.I look forward to your process and the final product!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Since the SLI-F1 hasn't been released yet, and I'm in the process of saving money for a new desktop pc, this is sadly on hold until I have money available again for this project. I hope to resume work again in early December. Either way, I am going to build this wheel, I've put too much time and effort in to this and don't want to put that to waste.

Of course, donations are still welcome on www.wgeuze.nl/f1wheel ;)

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea