GT Sport Discussion Monday - Gran Turismo Series

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Gran Turismo 3.jpg

From Gran Turismo on the PlayStation 1 all the way through to the new GT Sport, it's Monday morning so let's have ourselves a good discussion!

Polyphony Digital have held the lion share of the console racing game marketplace pretty much ever since they released the original Gran Turismo back in 1998, however the landscape is changing and as technology continues to march forward and new rivals appear on the scene, Polyphony and the GT series have had to make some dramatic departures form customary form to stay ahead of the times.

Always presented in near flawless graphical fidelity and benefiting from a mega development budget, how does the GT franchise of games resonate with our readers here at RaceDepartment?

From tips on how to get the most from the various different GT games, to sharing your personal favourite moments, please use the comments in section in this article to discuss all things Gran Turismo!

Mondays be like....

Sim Discussion Monday - Gran Turismo 1.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Gran Turismo 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Gran Turismo 2.jpg

I don't know, FM1 took the crown for me but then the career modes in FM3&4 sucked so much and completing the event list in FM4 was mind numbingly boring with so many almost identical events which were just filler. GT5 had them beat handily and that's saying something because that game had a terrible grind system as well to get to level 20 before it would even let you actually race certain events. However it had dynamic weather and lighting and whilst it couldn't hold 60fps at least it was ambitious which is more than Forza can say.
FM4 also disappointed me, because that gigantic grid of nonsense did have some cool stuff, like multiclass events, passing cars and stuff like that, plus various types of traditional racing events, but it was a sea of random stuff to pick at. I do remember getting my X360 with a bundled FM3 and playing for days, discovering the exclusive content and stuff, truly felt like a next-gen experience.

Still remember the heat flickering effect in GT3 on PS2 and Kaz explaining that the PS3 didn't have a high enough fill rate to recreate the effect in GT5 on PS3 - epic :). I hope that effect returns in GTS. That said I'd have to agree with most that GT3 especially was a benchmark and years ahead of its time. Sadly, they're now years behind mostly due to the strangely huge delay in release when it came to GT5 and then again GT6. I think PD never really got warm with the PS3 and that somehow threw a brick into their development cycle big time.

In the end it is a console racer, it is optimized for gamepads and above all it is a game made for car lovers and doesn't hide the pride and feel of accomplishment of the car industry and heritage of the nation of Japan. Just think of this epic intro to GT5:

Then again this will never be forgotten in the history of racing games:

All I'm gonna say is Viper Team Oreca, Castrol Tom's Supra and Pennzoil R34 Skyline GT-R - bliss.

With GTS I think they're gonna absolutely nail what they were always best at - graphics fidelity. Say what you want about GT6 but there is no other software out there that gets the lightning THAT right in certain conditions. Yes, there are technically better games out there and yes it doesn't always get it right but pick any of the dynamic daytime tracks like the Nurb and set it to early morning with some cloud cover - it's still breath takingly cool.

What they've never done and I think anyone who's followed PD for as long as I have is timely react to customer opinions, complaints or feedback. It seems highly patriarchal in its decision making and very rigid and not flexible at all. So many times I've prayed for customization of opponents, standing starts, etc. just the simple things that would've made it that much cooler or all those little functionalities like changing a driving option in-game instead of going back to the menu. I think in 6 they finally put that in. Friend of mine I've played 1000s of hrs of GT3 with and I used to joke that PD is like they know exactly what everyone wants and they can do it but they just love to tease and hide and keep things away until the time THEY decide everyone's gonna have it. Not very market orientated especially in today's market but also maybe a charming characteristic of a kind of ancient studio and overall creative director.

I'll never leave AC for GTS but I'm sure as hell going to enjoy the **** out of the visuals and photomode...maybe even the driving experience :). They have missed the turning point of staying relevant in the sim sphere no matter how good the game looks is my opinion based purely on observation and past experience without having spent one second in GTS.

Rock on Kaz!

PS: The thing that really kept me in the franchise after GT6 was launched and again had an impossibly screwed up grinding system was the BMW M3 or M4 bug that allowed that car to be sold multiple times for several million each until an update corrected that by which time I had amassed 20mn+ credits and bought every single car I ever wanted and all others as well and still had 10+ M4s left. Didn't feel bad for a second cuz PD had put me on the grind wagon one too many times before with GT3, GT Tokyo-Geneva, GT4P and GT4 (bough a PS2 for those games alone) and GT5P, GT5 and GT6 (again bought a PS3 just for them)...without it I would've spent about 90% less time in GT6 and never done those 1000+ laps around the Ring.

Last edited:
It was innovative and fresh for a while, but the last versions were seriously lacking: bad sound, not enough cars that could be driven with the cockpit cam, no damage. And, of course, the uber-annoying system of having to buy cars instead of unlocking everything from the start. Also, not enough real tracks as opposed to fantasy tracks. It's simply not a fun game to play, at least to me. Because of all of these reasons, I'm not planning on buying GT Sport.

Gran Turismo was why I bought a Playstation back in 1997. Bought it as it was bundled with Gran Turismo.

Remember in the months prior reading through the Playstation magazines in WH Smith's and seeing all the previews about Gran Turismo and just thinking WOW! there's nothing like this on PC. Remember the license tests, the decision of which car to start with and the grind to earn money to buy more cars. Not forgetting the classic fictional tracks that the game brought us.

Brought me many happy hours of playing on the Playstation and striving to get gold in all the license tests (something I never quite managed). Followed up with GT2, GT3 and GT4 but skipped GT5 and GT6.

Played the closed BETA of GT Sport and like others have commented, the game felt very Gran Turismo. I only use controller and it was just like the old GT games but with the improved PS4 visuals. Happy to give GT Sport a go next week, more as a casual pick up and play offering, when I can just crash in the comfy chair and play.

Certainly not expecting it to tear me away from the driving titles I have on PC, but hoping to have fun with it all the same.

We will have a great GT Sport 2 (in 3 years).

I tend to agree with this statement, GT Sport feels like Forza 5 was, a mostly complete game but lacking in content compared to its predecessors but showed good potential for a sequel and Forza 6 was a very good sequel. I would except GT Sport 2 will be also. Its clear that Polyphony finally realized they had to let go of those tired old standard model cars and start over with a lower car count but proper high resolution models. They can build off of GT Sport going forward.

Yeah. You know when you see your child sweetheart after 20 years?... It's the same disappointment you'll get with the demo.

Question is why do they take so long to publish the game if it is a GT6, with less content, upscaled to PS4?

I'm not sure I follow any of what you're saying. It is nothing like GT6 other than the core gameplay. It certainly isn't GT6 upscaled for PS4. Everything in GT Sport has been overhauled compared to the GT6 other than the some of the same boring core gameplay mechanics like license tests.

I'm not sure I follow any of what you're saying. It is nothing like GT6 other than the core gameplay. It certainly isn't GT6 upscaled for PS4. Everything in GT Sport has been overhauled compared to the GT6 other than the some of the same boring core gameplay mechanics like license tests.

I haven't played any GT game since GT3 and it felt exactly like I remember it did back then.

Lol me too.

Very boring and tired format, just seem to be a company going through the motions.
I would not buy it, whereas in the 90's I think I would be one of the first in the shop to buy it.

But that ended with all the messing about with PS3 and now PS 4 versions, that are basically 3 year patcghes for a previous game.

Fanboys will tell you it is all new, but games are rarely new these days. Unless the core engine has changed and the physics been rewritten this is not a new game.

Having said all that, it usually works nicely, looks good and has features in it that will make people think. Usually a more polished version of a console racer compared to the rest. And to credit them it will probably work as well with a wheel as a pad. Something not every game can manage!

I have really fond memories of the early games, loved 1+2 (after getting a bit bored of just racing F1 or Indy cars), bought a PS2 just for GT3 and endured a LONG wait for the damn game to be released. Utterly loved GT3, awesome intro (big Feeder fan!) incredible graphics at the time, and awesome replays (GTs always had good replays, only AC get's close today).

GT4 disappointed me, yeah a huge car list but seemed uninspiring plus crappy rolling starts(I was also starting to get back into PC sims by then with SCGT bundled with a Logitech wheel). Bought a PS3 just for GT5 and didn't like the game, initially happy standing starts were back but then they patched rolling starts back in and that killed it for me, wasn't happy with standard/premium cars fiasco and the original tracks weren't given much of a makeover (if at all!). Didn't help that I had GTR2 still going strong which crapped on GT5 in everything but graphics.

Never bothered with GT6 and GTS is not giving me a compelling reason to drop my limited funds on a PS4+wheel. Mind you with PC1+2, AC, R3E, RF2 and AMS I don't really have any need at all for GT (or Forza). They're good stepping stones to get into proper race sims and fine if you don't want or can't be bothered with proper racing structure.

GT 1 was one of the most amazing games of that era. No GT game in the series has come close to the original. I suppose the same could be said about Forza... but Forza 1 tried to replicate GT1 so go figure.

GT4 is my favourite game ever and from what I've seen and played of Gt Sport so far I'm very impressed. I loved GT5 as well but was let down by GT6. I'm hoping that, despite the change of direction, this game will be a return to form and it certainly looks like it. The upgraded handling is great, the tons of additional features, and the incredible graphics are selling me so far. Will certainly be league racing this.

I'm caught up in the un-supported Fanatec Carrera wheel crowd. I can either buy a new $500 wheel (CSL Elite??) or a PS4, but not both. AC on my PC seems to constantly change my wheel rotation during a driving session. So in spite of $250 PC upgrades this week, AC is not an option right now. The RF2 demo seems to work well though.
So I'm thinking about jumping back into GT6 for as long as the online servers stay up. Are any of you guys who are clean RD racers still going to fire up the PS3 this fall?

I'm caught up in the un-supported Fanatec Carrera wheel crowd. I can either buy a new $500 wheel (CSL Elite??) or a PS4, but not both. AC on my PC seems to constantly change my wheel rotation during a driving session. So in spite of $250 PC upgrades this week, AC is not an option right now. The RF2 demo seems to work well though.
So I'm thinking about jumping back into GT6 for as long as the online servers stay up. Are any of you guys who are clean RD racers still going to fire up the PS3 this fall?

Count me in...my PS4 Pro/HDR TV purchase is still a ways off so if you're game with GT6 I'm in...

I don't have one (I bought a new wheel before I knew they existed) but these do apparently work very well:

https://collectiveminds.ca/shop/allconsoles/drivehub/

Anyway after getting fed up of the litany of bugs in PCars2 I've got GT Sport arriving today. Hoping for a better experience online even if the handling doesn't quite have the same feel as that game. Hopefully it'll at least tide me over until PCars2 is patched into a playable state.

With this focused genre to racing and switch the name to SPORTS, I really feel Assetto Corsa vibe. Don't get me wrong but with this car list, track selection and the photo mode for me this is too AC. Well when in campaign mode you can feel GT vibe, and one thing their livery editor absolute beast!

Literally have more quality than FH3 or NFS 15, well with least sponsor selection and and quite limited feature (no layer grouping and masking ffs) and all wing have glitch make me down little bit.

22499167_10203707348840247_3571541141141966057_o.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back