DiRT Rally DiRT Rally latest patch brings VR support!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Dirt Rally Oculus Rift Support Patch.jpg

Codemasters have released a mammoth 10gb update for popular rally title DiRT Rally, finally bringing Oculus Rift support to the off road racing game.

Teased just last week by the British studio, Codemasters have today released a patch for PC users of the rally title enabling early Oculus Rift support. Oculus compatibility is currently only available for PC players of the game, with support for other Virtual Reality headsets and console versions of the title possibly coming to the game at a later date.

Although sizable at 10GB, the patch doesn't bring any further enhancements to the sim other than the addition of motion blur to the AI cars in game.

Oculus support is compatible with both the earlier DK2 versions of Oculus and the more recent consumer unit (CV1) headset.

Oculus Rift CV1.png.jpg

Some notes on using Oculus Rift VR Support can be read below:

• To get the game to boot in VR, simply plug in your Oculus headset before you press Play in Steam.
  • We don’t recommend you turn on VR in the Steam Client, as doing so will disable the Steam Overlay on the desktop image of the game.
  • To re-centre your view, just hit the Left Ctrl key.
  • We have added configurable options in the HUD settings in order to reduce motion sickness, which are active by default. We’ve also given each track a comfort rating as a guide to help control motion sickness.
  • DK2 does work with the VR version of DiRT Rally.
Additional comments:
  • Graphics - Motion blur being applied to AI cars.

Check out our DiRTY Forum for news items, discussion points, quality downloads and of course access to our wonderful DiRT Rally Racing Club and Leagues! Join in the fun today!

DiRT and VR? Sounds like a good combination... if you are lucky enough to have Oculus Rift and DiRT Rally let us know how you find the experience below!!

I can't actually believe people still complain about the size of patches in 2016 .....
10 gb can be downloaded in minutes ....
Speak for yourself, I pay an arm and a leg for 50mpbs (approx. 6.25mb/s) here in Ontario. At least I'm not capped. I'm absolutely jealous when I see the prices for Gigabit in places like Sweden compared to what I pay, and for a fraction of the service.

/Canadian rant:mad:

I can't actually believe people still complain about the size of patches in 2016 .....
10 gb can be downloaded in minutes ....

My most sincere apologies for living in a developing country with bad infrastructure... I completely forgot that I was not supposed to voice my discomfort because there are other people out there that do not have those issues. Sorry... I was not thinking straight when I posted about my slow internet, but I'm now completely sure after reading your post that nobody else in the world could be suffering from that problem for any sort of reason whatsoever. I'll go flog myself 10 times in that corner over there for crossing the line, master. I see the major fault in my ways now, a 10 gb non optional patch that does nothing for me other than screw with my 90 gig data cap should be applauded indeed. :notworthy:

Same here. Out in Malaysia I got screwed on a 10mbps as part of my tv deal. Only after I was locked into a 2 year deal the internet company launched a better option for 100mbps for the same price...

But yes. Sorry for going on about my useless connection that costs a fortune and takes me about half a day to download 10gb files that I don't need...

How about all of you start reading once in a while .
Quote from a Dev(Neil McCabe) :

"To be clear, it is not 10GB of new data. Any files that have been altered at all have to completely downloaded again. The game is still around 40GB, it has not went up to 50GB. We had to make alterations to a lot of the base files, which means this would not have been doable as a DLC.

There are some non-VR changes in there as well."

It's not only VR implementation .
also internet doesn't cost a fortune by a long shot .
+ data cap atleast in my own country it was never a thing even 10-12 years ago .
But that's a topic for another time .

You obviously don't live in Australia. It took me several hours, and I'm on the best (fastest) service available to me right now. I guess I live in a third world country.
I live in Australia, never even noticed it had downloaded. I do however leave my pc on 24/7 so it just downloads as it comes available.. 12mbps adls 2+. unlimited tpg. best way to go! Even at this crappy speed it's only 1.5 - 2 hours.

How about all of you start reading once in a while .
Quote from a Dev(Neil McCabe) :

"To be clear, it is not 10GB of new data. Any files that have been altered at all have to completely downloaded again. The game is still around 40GB, it has not went up to 50GB. We had to make alterations to a lot of the base files, which means this would not have been doable as a DLC.

There are some non-VR changes in there as well."

Okay, so Neil doesn't get it either.
Yes, there are non-VR changes in there.Motion blur has been added to AI cars.......Wow.
Presumably it isn't 10 gigs worth of motion-blur.

I mean, I don't really care since I have the bandwidth. It's just the inefficiency that annoys me.
It's a pretty big patch (some 20-25% of the original game) that is only usable by MAYBE 10% of the player-base.
Everybody else has to re-download the new files, despite the fact that it doesn't change anything for them.
Surely it can't have been much of a bother to do the VR files as a separate branch, and those who wanted it could download it.

It's like asking everyone to re-download Skyrim, because someone added Chinese sub-titles.

My Bro bought me Rift, I should be able to buy the new PC for it at the end of this month. I did try his rift on his new mega PC at his place for a test, jebus.... I was disappointed to be back in the real world and I now look at any screen (even my TV) with a new found utter dispair. 3D Vr really is a game changer. I know, not to many native VR games, and rift is still not 100%, but feck-me it really is fantastic. I now wait for the enviitable slagging, but to quote a modern day poet 'haters gonna hate' < lol

So looking forward to get VR, just need to save some more... until then, do I need to download this patch or can I play anyway? Though I guess it just updates itself?

BTW I feel for those of you that happen to come from countries with underdeveloped IT infrastructure which, based on my travel experiences, are surprisingly many (even western countries). I've had my 250 mbps line for 5 years and only recently thought about upgrading since it doesn't cost that much in Sweden. Also, what's the deal with cap space, are you using LTE? If so, why?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back