DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0 Announcement Tomorrow?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT Rally 2.0.jpg

Recent teaser images suggest a sequel to the very popular DiRT Rally could be announced by Codemasters tomorrow.

DiRT Rally took sim racing fans by surprise back in 2015, releasing to Steam Early Access without so much as a clue as to its existence and providing a welcome return to a more simulation focussed take on the world of loose surface racing than had been the case of late.

Following up DiRT Rally with the less successful DiRT 4, it very much looks like Codemasters have a nice treat up their sleeve with various postings of "2.0" across the Codemasters social media platforms, including tweets from both the FIA WRX and the son of World Rallycross champion Petter Solberg.. indicating that a new version of the rally and rallycross title might well be in the works...

DiRT 2.0 FB Teaser.png

With speculation running rife as to exactly what this could mean, and almost as importantly when we will find out more, Codemasters have just revealed the image at the top of this article, accompanied by confirmation that an announcement is incoming tomorrow at 10:30BST...

Not long to find out what's happening. Let's get DiRTy!

DiRT Rally is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC right now.

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally sub forum for a great place to pick up mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Looking forward to the upcoming announcement? Do you think it will be DiRT Rally 2.0? Let us know in the comments section below!

After Dirt 4 I try not to get too excited about Codemasters games, such an enormous downgrade from Dirt Rally and nothing at all like they said it would be. Would love to get a worthy successor to Dirt Rally though

After Dirt 4 I try not to get too excited about Codemasters games, such an enormous downgrade from Dirt Rally and nothing at all like they said it would be. Would love to get a worthy successor to Dirt Rally though

You would have to expect there being a reason for 2.0 and not 5.0 - something other than the fact that DR sold better than D4 (at least on PC).

Then again, one would expect huge companies like EA and Take-Two to not use microtransactions as they earn loads of money on sales alone.

Dirt 4 was never supposed to be a successor to Dirt Rally. Dirt 4 was a successor to Dirt 3, which is their arcade line of rally games. If you bought Dirt 4 expecting Dirt Rally 2, it's on you, not the game.

Dirt 4 was never supposed to be a successor to Dirt Rally. Dirt 4 was a successor to Dirt 3, which is their arcade line of rally games. If you bought Dirt 4 expecting Dirt Rally 2, it's on you, not the game.
According to a certain Paul Coleman it was. Yup, it really is on me that I believed him.

"With DiRT 4 we are taking everything we learned with DiRT Rally and using that as our foundation. That means we are taking our simulation engine, improving it and building everything else on top of that. We are then taking everything we loved about all the other games in the franchise and bringing it all together into a much more coherent package.

DiRT 4 will resonate with all players regardless of whether they consider themselves an arcade or sim racer. The beauty is that you can choose exactly what type of experience you want to have, and then play the game on your terms. If you want something fun that doesn’t require in-depth knowledge of automotive engineering and vehicle dynamics, then you can just dive into the game and have a great time. If you loved the challenge of DiRT Rally, then you can switch to the Sim Handling mode and have an experience that is even closer to the real deal than we managed to achieve with DiRT Rally."

Urgh, rallycross. Unless theres something very different content wise, like 80s Gr.B rallycross or the new electric cars, I´ll gladly skip that part of the game. Just gimme proper and long enough rally stages, an Audi S1 E2 and the new WRC cars. If it follows the same sim-like physics concept as the first title (hopefully with improved FFB) I´m very much looking forward to it.

I hope it doesn't...
I'd rather have unique and detailed hand crafted stages like in Dirt Rally instead of the generic same-y looking stages that will inevitably be produced by a procedural system.

Driving these few stages over and over again and perfecting them sadly has little to do with rally driving.
As long as we do this in games, there is no point in even discussing "sim value" of a given title's physics.

Had Dirt 2 and 3, but been skeptical about getting newer titles from codies. I hate that gameplay where drivers shout at me when I bump them, forgot which Dirt was that. I also did grab Dirt Rally way back then, but returned it quickly since I can't get my wheel to 1:1 ratio, and the input lag! I had better days with Xpand Rally.

Yesterday I was itching about asking in the forums about what Rally title to grab these days. Looks like I have a candidate now. :) If the reception is positive of course.

Well, they did say DiRT 4 was gonna be based on DiRT Rally physics, but improved, so you can't really blame people for expecting DiRT Rally 2. And why should the main DiRT series be only arcade? Things can change.

Driving these few stages over and over again and perfecting them sadly has little to do with rally driving.
As long as we do this in games, there is no point in even discussing "sim value" of a given title's physics.

Well, I would say yes and no to the statement about doing the stages over and over. First of all, most of the stages in the real WRC has been used for years and years. The drivers truly do know many of them.
Secondly, they do at least two recce runs before the event to write notes. Many times they just check and correct notes from previous years.
Third, they usually do the same stage two times during the rally.

All I'm saying is that the "Racing drivers see one corner a thousand times, a Rally driver see a thousand corner one time" is not really true.

Your Stage got extremely repetitive with way too few tiles being used. Sure, no stage was ever identical, yet each stage felt like the same one.

As a RallyX/rally fan ill be keeping my eye on this, but waiting for some reviews and improvements over dirt rally before throwing any money at it......I wasn't overly impressed by the first one, but it was fun from time to time and can't complain too much as I got it for free :)
Loose surface physics
improved ffb
proper steering rotation per car with matching 1:1 in-game visual
and the majority of RL tracks/cars for rally x will make me consider purchasing.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.