DiRT 4 DiRT 4 Game Action: Rally, Landrush and Rallycross

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
To celebrate another day closer to the release of Codemasters DiRT 4 game, here is some nice footage of the Rally, Landrush and Rallycross cars in action...

With a release scheduled for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC on June 9th, PlayStation Access have made live a nice little video showing off the on stage racing action from three of the new titles' included gameplay modes. The video comes in at just over 13 minutes in length and shows us some quality footage of the new Landrush mode using the big off road Trophy Trucks, side by side Rallycross racing and of course the DiRT franchise staple, traditional point to point rallying - using the modern generation Ford Fiesta WRC spec car.

You can check out the video in full below:

As can be expected from a media outlet who call themselves 'PlayStation Access', the action captured during this video has been taken from the Work in Progress PlayStation 4 version of the game and as can be expected for a WIP title, the final product is not guaranteed to look exactly like it does in the video. However with the horrendous amount of time it seemingly takes nowadays to get anything game related approved by Microsoft and Sony, one would be fairly safe in assuming the game is pretty much in a complete state now and nearing readiness for shipment to stores worldwide.

So far so good from Codemasters, this could well be one of the most impressive rally games released on console or PC since the incredible Richard Burns Rally made it's debut all the way back in 2004.

We have reported on a number of detailed previews concerning some of the new features due to be included in DiRT Rally in recent weeks, so if you need to catch yourself up then check out the 'Your Stage' preview article HERE, or have a look at the substantial Paul Coleman Q&A responses HERE. If you want to know more about the team management element of DiRT 4 then THIS article may be of interest to you, or maybe the new Landrush mode peaks your curiosity, well look no further than HERE for some answers!

KEY FEATURES:
  • OVER 50 OF THE MOST BREATH-TAKING OFF-ROAD CARS EVER BUILT – Including Ford Fiesta R5, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI, Subaru WRX STI NR4 and Audi Sport quattro S1 E2
  • 5 INCREDIBLE RALLY LOCATIONS WITH MILLIONS OF ROUTES – Australia, Spain, Michigan, Sweden & Wales
  • THE OFFICIAL GAME OF THE FIA WORLD RALLYCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP – Race at Montalegre, Lohéac Bretagne, Hell, Holjes & Lydden Hill in a multitude of different series
  • LANDRUSH – Short-course dirt track racing in Pro Buggies, Pro-2 Trucks, Pro-4 Trucks and Crosskart vehicles in California, Nevada and Mexico
  • JOYRIDE – Laptime challenges, smash challenges, free-play area and send challenges to friends
  • DiRT ACADEMY – Taking place at the DirtFish Rally School in Washington, USA, learn the skills, techniques and practice to become the best!
  • CAREER MODE – create your driver, compete across the disciplines, gain sponsors and build your team with clear goals and rewards
  • COMPETITIVE GAMING – Daily, weekly and month-long challenges against fellow players from around the world
  • NEXT GENERATION OF RACENET – Live ladder, leagues and tournaments, cross-platform leaderboards, enhanced CREST telemetry system
  • TUNING – Tweak your set-up based on vehicle, track and weather conditions to best suit your racing style
  • DAMAGE & REPAIRS – Wear and tear is faithfully recreated with an improved and realistic damage model. Damage can be repaired by hiring Engineers to work in the team’s Service Area between stages but with a finite amount of time available.

DiRT 4 will be available to purchase for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Windows PC in June 2017.

Dirt 4  .jpg
Dirt 4 2.jpg
Dirt 4 3.jpg

Check out the DiRT 4 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions around the newest rally game to be produced by Codemasters. We will have all the latest news when it becomes available and of course offer up a place for fans to discuss the game and share in our combined excitement for this new Codemasters title.

What class of racing are you most excited to try in DiRT 4? Do you think the game can / will live up to it's pre release hype? What cars would you like to see included? Let us know in the comments section below!

• Deleted member 217114

Hmm.. Good to see Wales :p, but, I know it's only alpha and a video, I really dislike features in the video, like:

1. Lots of motion blur and dof
2. These little exterior scenes before and after the race. I mean if you race in headcam/cockpit you want to stay in headcam/cockpit. Not suddenly go outside the car.
3. Maybe it's me or the video or the shaders of the game, but there is some plasticy/cartoonish look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dirt 2 / Dirt 3 still great tight FFB takes 2 mins to set up any wheel for great, exciting game play, without any disconnect. Really looking forward to Dirt 4. Been trying for months with Game Stock car and Automobilista to get that tight complete FFB, all i get are dead zones and sloppy with a full disconnect of feeling with the games. I have a Fanatec CRS with Clubsport pedals also a Logitech G27 in the latter 2 games they are very disappointing, with the Dirt series great. Could the latter games need a direct drive wheel to get the best from them?.

Yeah, it definitely looks cartoonish. I also really don't like the sounds (especially the trucks). Sounds like the same sounds from dirt rally....which were good but not great. I do hear positives on the FFB, but this doesn't look like what a lot of us wanted.

Codemasters has gone on record saying that DiRT 4 will have expanded physics from DiRT Rally for the sim folk and a separate arcade style setting for non-sim folk. Why are sim racers so incredibly up in arms about this. Do you think Codemasters is lying to you? Do you think that they're doing a complete 180 from their more sim-like approach that they've taken this entire console generation?

Dirt 2 / Dirt 3 still great tight FFB takes 2 mins to set up any wheel for great, exciting game play, without any disconnect. Really looking forward to Dirt 4. Been trying for months with Game Stock car and Automobilista to get that tight complete FFB, all i get are dead zones and sloppy with a full disconnect of feeling with the games. I have a Fanatec CRS with Clubsport pedals also a Logitech G27 in the latter 2 games they are very disappointing, with the Dirt series great. Could the latter games need a direct drive wheel to get the best from them?.
Wha... :O_o: Dirt2/3 has tighter FFB for you than AMS?!?! You must be doing things soooo wrong my friend, lol. :D

I plan on judging Dirt4 when I have put some hours into it but, I've seen and heard enough to believe it'll be good fun either way. If it ends up being an improvement on Dirt Rally handling / FFB or better, that's fine too.

For those who are waiting for iRacing/rF2/AMS level of physics and FFB in Rally form, you are going to be waiting a long, long time and I'm getting way too old to keep waiting. :D

• tunaphis

Dirt 3 in a procedurally generated new dress.If Codemasters where to announce a sequel to Dirt Rally your servers would melt.

Been trying for months with Game Stock car and Automobilista to get that tight complete FFB, all i get are dead zones and sloppy with a full disconnect of feeling with the games. I have a Fanatec CRS with Clubsport pedals also a Logitech G27 in the latter 2 games they are very disappointing, with the Dirt series great. Could the latter games need a direct drive wheel to get the best from them?.

I thought Automobilista was good right away but I had to turn the wheel way too much in tight turns. I fixed this in advanced settings, and increased the 'steering rate' (or something like that)

I thought Automobilista was good right away but I had to turn the wheel way too much in tight turns. I fixed this in advanced settings, and increased the 'steering rate' (or something like that)

That's because the car you picked has XX degrees of rotation in real life. That's not being a bad FFB, is just been a real (and maybe more difficult in some cases) wheel settings.

Minis for example use 900. Metalmoro uses something about 540 if I'm not wrong. F1 uses much less I think.

But definitely AMS FFB is by far one of the (if not the) best out there right out of the box. Increase minimal force, put effects on low. Pure FFB 360hz (or however it's called) and have fun!

The Landrush and Rallycross interests me. Both game types are kick it back, let rip and enjoy. Become a fan of the former after watching it on motors tv.

Dirt Rally is already embedded in my library, and I can't see D4 really Improving on that. Either way they've said no VR implementation at release, so it'll be wait and see anyway.

The Rally looks excellent. Landrush doesn't really interest me, but RallyCross needs more attention. It was very under developed in DiRT Rally and I don't really understand why. The limitation on cars was a bit odd - Group Bs went Rally Crossing and yet we weren't able to run with them.

More (varied) Rally Cross cars and tracks would sort that mode. It was excellent, but I want to be able to take my Ford RS200 to Brands Hatch.

it is an absolutly Arcade game :(

Damn there is truly nothing but moaning in the sim racing community.

If you thought Dirt Rally was absolutely arcade, yes you will probably still feel the same way. If you liked DR you will probably enjoy this one.

I for one think the lightning is much better than DR.
The setups now feature true to life values which is also nice.

The Rally looks excellent. Landrush doesn't really interest me, but RallyCross needs more attention. It was very under developed in DiRT Rally and I don't really understand why. The limitation on cars was a bit odd - Group Bs went Rally Crossing and yet we weren't able to run with them.

More (varied) Rally Cross cars and tracks would sort that mode. It was excellent, but I want to be able to take my Ford RS200 to Brands Hatch.

Group B RX is in this time ;)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea