Destructive mods..

Sorry for this post.. but I have collected mods for Race07 for years and now I installed a mod that totally broke Race07 and it crashed to desktop without starting. I cannot figure out what files have been replaced and may have to reinstall everything..

I have seen this in other racing sim communities.. that either mods or developers brake a perfectly balanced setup.. and all you have left is a lot of crap taking up space on your disks.

This is what kills sim racing.. crappy mods and ignorant developers.

I will reinstall everything.. eventually.. and stop collecting mods for Race07. If the modders do not check their mods with a clean install of Race07 then they should not release their mods without a warning.

Sorry for being a bad sport.. but this just keeps repeating itself and it destroys years of hard work. If you can't quality-check your mod, then keep it to yourself!

Can you go file by file in the mod archive and replace with originals?

I recommend OVGME for one-click installs and uninstalls. It handles backing up files and restoring the previous files for you. It will tell you if there is a conflict between files of a new mod you want to install and an existing mod you have installed.

Another technique to reduce the chance a tonne of mods will conflict or cause problems is to create a game folder for subsets of mods. On GTR2, I have a lot of individual GTR2 folders, one for vanilla, one for Anniversary Patch, one for PnG, you get the idea. It just reduces the chance something goes wrong and if it does it limits the damage to at least one set of mods.

If you're super technical, version control like git could do something for you and that would be the ultimate in protection from bad mod installs.

Anyway, I often think about these problems, too, and keep trying to come up with ways to alleviate the issues.

just my 2 cents, neither RACE07 or GTR2 (& GTL) needs to be installed

make a raw copy of the working game and use it as as a clean startpoint
whenever something goes wrong, just copy your base game

even the STEAM version can be treated this way ( i dont remember when i last time installed any of those)

like many here, i have several copies of GTR2/ GTL & RACE07 on the computer
(mostly either windowed or full screen versions or special versions like a GRID RACE07)

the next step you should take, is use a mod enable like JSGME

my last comment on your post, you sure somebody created a mod only to destroy your install

p.s.: do not forget to make a copy of your player profile for R07

Last edited:
EDIT:
do not know if JGSME or Shovas OVGM is better
RACE07 is a little nasty for the MODEL ID and CLASS ID limit
and
dependancy on DLCs

my last comment on your post, you sure somebody created a mod only to destroy your install

No, of course not! That is paranoid thinking :p

My point is just that the mod was not tested enough by the modder...
I tested it on another install and it broke that one too..

On the bright side.. I really need to clean up my Race07 installation so this is a good opportunity ;)

Another technique to reduce the chance a tonne of mods will conflict or cause problems is to create a game folder for subsets of mods. On GTR2, I have a lot of individual GTR2 folders, one for vanilla, one for Anniversary Patch, one for PnG, you get the idea. It just reduces the chance something goes wrong and if it does it limits the damage to at least one set of mods.
How does one do this with Steam? I had non-steam versions of Race07 and GTR2 years ago but now I only have Race07 steam version..

Last edited:
How does one do this with Steam? I had non-steam versions of Race07 and GTR2 years ago but now I only have Race07 steam version..

I only run Steam copies. You can copy&paste the Steam folders right out and into a new folder. Run GTR2Config.exe again (as admin) and it should boot right up.

Race 07 should work in a similar way.

I managed to clean the installation without reinstalling everything. Sorry that I ranted, but it really worried me that my installation might have been corrupted. Will be more careful in the future and set up a second clean installation for testing purposes. Thanks for all the good advice!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.