I'm very curious how actually they treat the open world of size like this tbh, i mean actual (oh no) technology. FUEL suffered by very few amount of objects, for obvious reasons, thus driving on it was always non stop full throttle in the straight line. Probably it'll be a lot of things procedurally generated, which is bad and good at the same time. If done properly, it can leave Dirt4 behind in that aspect. If overdone - well, we'll get pretty random maps every time. Or it can be again "press forward and watch the world go round".

Last edited:
I really don't understand why people are so hyped for something they haven't even seen save for a CGI teaser trailer and have generally very little substantial information about. Including the article itself, to be honest, with four exclamation marks in the title (a certain Terry Pratchett quote comes to mind, sorry ;)) and generally comes off more like a fanboys post somewhere on FB rather than a more serious news piece one comes to expect from RD.

Agreed.

I'm still waiting for Grand Raid Off-Road.

I think as many have said. I’m gonna keep my eye out for this, but not getting my hopes up. The trailer is just CGI, so you can’t make any conclusions for that. Will wait and see

This will be a pure arcade according to video. What a shame.

You guys seriously aren't realizing how much info has been released.

Hi guys, gathered some facts about 'Dakar, the game'. All of this comes directly from them ( presentation and social media)

If you've got something to add, please say so!

Driving
  • You can exit the vehicle at any time, and explore by foot.
  • You can fix the car, by having to exit and walking around.
  • Collaborating with (NPC if you’re inside of a car or truck, was meant as repairing the car together)
  • You can drive these 5 categories : Motor, ATV, Cars, Trucks, SSV
  • Each category has several teams, all of them will be official
  • Aiming for the old experience of realism (“with internal and external”, think this is about perspectives, cockpit view confirmed :p)
  • Navigation system, or roadbooks ( as used in Dakar) are going to be how you navigate, it’s the same as in real life. Very easy to get lost so you need to focus on navigation.
  • They are implementing a system to influence the driving aspect to cover the different climates and weather ( it’s different on sand, mud, water)
Pilots
  • Pilots are real, not only the hands/heads. Full body. (in regards to real life)
  • They are scanning and using pictures of all of the pilots, so their faces will be in the game
  • Creating your own is not possible, you can only choose an existing character.
Map
  • Open world, more than “15.000km2” ( perhaps that might be a mistake, that's ****ing huge)
  • Different kind of weathers/climates
  • Because they are going from Peru to Bolivia to Argentina. All of the countries are scanned, they have collected pictures ( high resolution, 4k is what he said.) which are projected on the 3d map using filters(?). “Exactly the 3d replication of those. “
  • Because these locations have different climates they will have different dynamic weather.
  • One of Open worlds biggest
  • 14 stages
  • Each taking 1 -2 hours depending on your skill (navigating and driving).
Engine and physics
  • Unreal Engine 4, PhysX and own technologies
  • Created their own system of vehicle and physics, combined with technology that’s on the market. But they are creating their own technology. >“That is able to make sure that all the suspensions, all the details, all the aspects of the vehicle are really really implementing. So you can feel that.
  • VR probably not going to happen, they said maybe ( maybe before release, maybe after as an update or perhaps with Dakar 19) “VR is something we have on the wishlist. We'll see if it can be added to the release date, at a later date, or skip it entirely until Dakar 19.”

• On the physics in the trailer This trailer uses game assets exclusively. However, the physics system present in the trailer isn't the one you'll be able to find in the game. That is currently being refined and adjusted with the help and feedback of Dakar pilots and riders. We figured that if we're aiming for a realistic experience, we might as well consult with the real experts :) We'll be releasing a gameplay trailer soon and hopefully, you'll get a better insight into the
    game physics there. Thank you for your support!
“ we're working with Dakar riders and pilots, gathering their feedback to tune in the gameplay physics to each of the vehicles and terrains present in the game”

Testers
They have gotten some very experienced pilots to help them develop and test, they help every week by testing and explaining their views and have the same experience in the game as in real life. ( two are brought to the stage now)

• Pedro Bianchi
  • Roadbook is very important, finding the way is the challenge. And that is brought to the game, you need to know the instruments and the systems in the game, so a very hard. “Because if you lose the way you are lost, and the game is so big that you can be lost for hours.”
  • One of the things he also said is that they’ll probably train using a roadbook for navigation since it’s hard to train for outside of the actual race.( interesting.)
  • Mário Patrão
  • “One of the things he wants to make sure that happens, that’s transferred to the players is the navigation system but also the feel and the adrenaline of driving at high speeds and using the roadbook to make sure you don’t get lost. That is not easy and takes a lot of years of experience and training.”
Game
  • Release in summer 2018
  • Edition every year ( so there will probably be a dakar 19 and a dakar 20)
  • Simulation focussed, everything we’ve heard so far has been indicating that it will be a full on simulator, which they are aiming for in terms of physics and everything else. They call it a “true simulation game” “Expect a simulation and not an easy one at that “
  • A gameplay trailer is said to be in a few weeks ( said in the end of November), not a pre-rendered trailer, should demonstrate how the engine shows the graphics quality ( very weird sentence but yeah he said it somewhat like that). However recent messages said somewhere around February-march ( the actual trailer) but gameplay snippets will be released already before that on social media. “ Soon :) We'll be releasing bits and pieces until we release a gameplay video. Stay tuned to the facebook page”
  • They have also been working on it for a few years now. On wheel support: “We're working on it, yes. :) it should be available, at least for the major brands.” Also constant mentions of how hard it will be, both in the presentation and on social media, saying you might never finish the stages or the full rally.
  • “Our development team have +40 elements.” whatever that might mean ( possibly team members, which is a lot!)
Multiplayer
  • Local MP confirmed, split-screen. According to steam 2 - 4 players.
  • Maybe this will be a driver - co-driver pair. So two cars 4 players. Since 4 players is genuinely a lot. Perhaps this will also mean just shorter stages. Since I think it would be very tough to handle all of that * 4 or even * 2.
  • Hot seat mode also confirmed.
  • Online multiplayer should probably function the same way as offline singleplayer.
Some vehicles shown in great detail

Pedro Bianchi posted this pic

Carlist:
  • Bikes: KTM, Honda, Yamaha, Husqvarna, and official riders.
  • Cars: Peugeot, Mini, Toyota, Renault, Mitsubishi and official drivers.
  • Trucks: Kamaz, Maz, Tatra, Mammoet Renault, Veka MAN and official drivers.
  • Quads: Quad riders Ignacio Casale, Sergei Karyakin, Alexis Hernandez and Rafal Sonik with Yamaha Raptor.
  • UTV: UTV XtremePlus Polaris official teams.

Seriously, read this https://www.reddit.com/r/dakarthegame/comments/7q7yzq

All depends on what people think is what a SIM is. Reading on the reddit page that you can (or even need to) exit the vehicle to repair the damage sounds quite simulation to me. Also doing a stage for 1-2 hours doesn't sound for me they don't focus on the arcade players (though I hope you can save the game in the middle of a stage). The graphics for me are not the most important at all, although it need a kind of minimum to sell it as well to people. The trailer looks well, but we know the real deal will look a bit different, although the landscapes could look ingame like this (trailer used game assets). The physics will still be a question. I think the driving physics will be mostly "authentic". Maybe a mix between DiRT3 and 4. It looks like there will be a gameplay trailer/clips of it soon, so than we can say more about the game. I am looking forward to this title :)

YEAH!!!! Just saw this on the facebook page:

26166748_1554588294624604_1965550286568599583_n.jpg

I'm afraid this is going to be an arcade game seeing the handling of the vehicles in the trailer. I hope it will be better when the game comes out if it will be arcade. If it's arcade I really hope you can do multiplayer with 8 people or so. Otherwise this wouldn't be any good.

You guys seriously aren't realizing how much info has been released.

Seriously, read this https://www.reddit.com/r/dakarthegame/comments/7q7yzq
You know, the first thing that comes to mind reading that summary is "that might be more ambitious than Star Citizen". Or at least that was my first reaction to it.

I don't want to come of as being *too* negative about the game, and I *am* cautiously optimistic about it, but, again, there's really not much to go by except the CGI trailer and some comments here and there. And if you look at the list, it just sounds too good to be true. I mean - everything you can think of is on the list. With some bits and pieces seemingly even contradicting itself to a point, at least from a game design point of view - based on that list (and also on the fact that it's also coming out on consoles), it kinda comes off as this one big hodgepodge of stuff thrown together for no reason other than to tick every box in the list. All that coming from a studio we've never really heard about with not much of a previous racing game experience (and from what they've participated on, WRC 3 was a pure arcade, though fun IMO, and WRC 5 was just terrible).

Again, I *want* the game to be good. But at this point, there really is not much to get hyped for except for quite a lot of unsubstantiated promises.

Well said Martin Fiala. It's indeed wise to be a bit sceptical.

The very fact that there is such a long list of bold promises though they have shown nothing to support them is what gets the alarm bells ringing for me, because I find it VERY hard to believe a largely unknown small developer with a thoroughly unimpressive portfolio making their first racing sim could actually be able to deliver all that. There are numerous examples of games where a developer had hugely ambitious visions but sadly reality got in the way.

Though, if they really are aiming for a summer release then the development should be at a very advanced stage by now, so they should soon be able to show more than just a CGI trailer and 3D models.

You know, the first thing that comes to mind reading that summary is "that might be more ambitious than Star Citizen". Or at least that was my first reaction to it.

I don't want to come of as being *too* negative about the game, and I *am* cautiously optimistic about it, but, again, there's really not much to go by except the CGI trailer and some comments here and there. And if you look at the list, it just sounds too good to be true. I mean - everything you can think of is on the list. With some bits and pieces seemingly even contradicting itself to a point, at least from a game design point of view - based on that list (and also on the fact that it's also coming out on consoles), it kinda comes off as this one big hodgepodge of stuff thrown together for no reason other than to tick every box in the list. All that coming from a studio we've never really heard about with not much of a previous racing game experience (and from what they've participated on, WRC 3 was a pure arcade, though fun IMO, and WRC 5 was just terrible).

Again, I *want* the game to be good. But at this point, there really is not much to get hyped for except for quite a lot of unsubstantiated promises.

They only did the 3d art for those games.

However it doesn't set a good standard for simulation value, but they have been focusing at on that. So far it sounds to me like they'll really try.

And the difference to star citizen is that this is not to attract 'investors'. it has already been in development for years, they're supposedly very far. Also a big team.

But definitely agree to some degree with you. Definitely good to be a bit skeptical, will be good to see some gameplay soon.

I have always wanted a good solid game about Dakar and i have a feel this is! Wow lets hope it captures the Spirit of it and also has a good proper simulation physic engine! Leets see! I am greatly excited

Awesome. Had a blast playing Dakar on PS1 (I think it was) if this a full on sim that would be epic but even its arcady like grid then id give it a shot.

I think it would've been on PS2. And ye, the more open stages were you drove freely between checkpoints that was far between each other was fun. The tracks ones was not though.

Regarding this being developee by unknown people, I don't see that as a particular bad thing, though their previous games havent been that... impressive, which is a bad thing.

However, the vast majority of good to great games I've played the last years have been indie-games or from devs going "rouge".

There's a few games covering the Dakar in the past. Most people here are thinking of Paris-Dakar Rally from 2001, published by Acclaim and programmed by Broadsword (who also made Spirit of Speed 1937). This one was on PS2 and PC. The sequel, Dakar 2: The World's Ultimate Rally, was on GameCube, PS2 and Xbox (but not PC) by Acclaim Studios Cheltenham.

However there were a number of other, older, less officially licensed games in the past, including: Paris-Dakar, Paris Dakar 1990, Dakar '97 (I included the rare PC version in my guess the rally/offroad games), etc. See a list here: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/dakar-rally-setting

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Thursday

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 44 36.1%
  • Saturday

Votes: 72 59.0%