"D" Class Road Suggestion Request

In short, Skippy or Mustang?

I hear good things about both. Being an American fan of short tracks, NASCAR and ALMS, I'm somewhat biased towards tin-tops, but not so much that I'd pass on open wheel action if it's really that good. As a matter of fact, I've been a huge Modified fan for most of my life (Sorry F1 fans / UK friends, I hope calling SK's "open wheel" isn't blasphemous :wink:).

I'm not concerned with facts like "Skippy has HUGE participation", because as long as there's at least 8 people running (poor Modifieds :frown:) I'm set. And "Mustang's open up mix races" also doesn't matter, as I don't have any road cars but the Slowstice and MX5. If anyone has ran both and could care to give their thoughts from a drivers perspective, I'd be happy to listen. (and thanks)

My advice? Buy 'em both. The cars are so different and so individually fun that it'd be a shame to ignore either one.

The Skippy, however, gets points for being a hell of a learner car. Much like the Spec Racer, it's unforgiving (especially when it comes to chopping the throttle) and there's no downforce to help you. Once you learn to get it around the track, though, you'll feel like you can drive anything, and you'll mostly be right.

The Mustang is the Skippy's polar opposite. Big, heavy, forgiving, mostly, though it can bite you in the ass if you don't watch it. The Skippy is more about momentum, where the Mustang is more about trail braking and acceleration. You'll quickly learn to scoot around corners, but not slide, with the brake, and throttle control is key. And you cannot beat the noise.;)

I honestly love 'em both.

I've recently gone to D Class, and I love the Skippy. I can't drive it anywhere nearly as good as the fast guys, but it's an all round fun car to drive.

Managed to break into the 1:25's at Zandvoort Int. but still have a long way to go :) I think both of them will require a lot of time and effort. I've yet to race the Skippy as I'm still fighting it every 5/6 laps, not consistent enough yet :)

Funny thing for me, I don't really like Muscle Cars. But the Mustang on iRacing is pretty fun to drive, and really the only reason I picked it up was I planned to do MultiClass running the Prototypes next season.

I had also bought the Skippy previously, but to be honest I don't really like it. Maybe I'll put a little more effort into it again sometime, but I find the car looses control very easily, snap oversteer cornering. I do like open wheelers, and the Star Mazda cars are great. I'm also really looking forward to the Indy cars..

I never drove the skippy serious, so i hopped into a praccy session @ Zandy tonight and got really frustrated............at first....
Then when you starting to get it its good fun and a smile comes on your face :) , also a great learner for car controle.
I am now smiling while driving and i serously consider doing a few races with it next season.

I would have said the 'Stang, since I enjoy it a lot more than the Skippy...it has more of a natural driving style I found it much better expirence for future cars.

However, the Skippy will be getting the NTM this wekk, so I would go with that, no point buying and learning to drive a car running the older tyre model which will get replaced within the next weeks/months.

Thanks all for your input, it is appreciated.

I may have been a little hasty with my question, it seems. I realized when I got home that I have but a week before being promoted to "C", and that's if I don't fasttrack first and have the end-of-week taking me to "B". Eesh. I've only been racing 2 weeks and already spent close to $200 on a used starter wheel and my Class D Oval content. Now I need to decide whether to get "C" or even "B" Oval stuff, or get started on some Road besides the starter tracks. Trucks, Nationwide, Skippy, Mustang, Star Mazda, Corvette...then the content for which ever one I pick.....my wife's gonna f*ing kill me :eek:

That's the main drawback of the fastrack system imo. People just want to keep moving up the licenses as quickly as possible and it costs them a small fortune in a short time period. I reckon that why we loose a lot of customers as soon as they license up from rookie.

Treat it like it was in the old days. Pick a series and stick with that car for a whole season. Get good at that car, complete a championship season, get involved with that cars community. There is no rush to get to an A license.

I just got my B license, but I may very well run the Skippy a full season this time. I concentrated on the SK's as my 'can't miss' series this season and had loads of fun, so I didn't get as much time in with them as I thought I would at first, partially because I hadn't bought enough tracks yet.

So, here's one player who feels no obligation to race at the higher license levels. I'm actually kind of amazed I haven't run Street Stock more.

That's not to say I'm not staring at the LMP car with unbridled lust, though...

If you go for one, go for Skippy. It's a difficult car, but you will learn to drive well with it. It's a good invenstment in the future so to speak. The series has good participation as far as I know, so that's another good reason to join it.

It was my way through D-class, although I sort of sprinted through it.

Good advice all, I thank you again. I definately took a step back and reevaluated my future career. Anytime I have previously gotten a "game" whether sports, racing, rpg, whatever, I'd blaze through it to beat it or unlock things as fast as possible, then go back thorugh it again slowly and enjoy all the nuances. It seems 20some year old habits are hard to break and I was treating iRacing's licenses as if they were Forza's. Thanks for helping break that spell :)

"D" Class SK's will be a good home for my first full oval season, and I reckon I'll stay "D" for a full road season too. Now if I can just decide between the fan-favorite Skippy or something I have a clue about with the Mustang, I'll be set. (If they'd just release a "D" Class Caterham, this would be a non-issue :wink:)

both! :) VW is also funny :parrot:
Complete disappointment for me and I used to be FWD fan in Race07!
I think I actaully never did a race in it, just used it in TT to get to C and to fall in love with the Star Mazda (and I used to be a open-wheel-hater).
Skippy I don't know, not a fan of the Mustang, drives like a brick for me, but might be, that I had to much fun in the Mazda to make me feel like that :).

Complete disappointment for me and I used to be FWD fan in Race07!
I think I actaully never did a race in it, just used it in TT to get to C and to fall in love with the Star Mazda (and I used to be a open-wheel-hater).
Skippy I don't know, not a fan of the Mustang, drives like a brick for me, but might be, that I had to much fun in the Mazda to make me feel like that :).

I agree, very disappointing car. if I ever feel the mustang handles like a boat, I just go for a spin in the jetta and my confidence in the mustang is restored. a "real" touring car would be awesome. an s2000-spec bmw e46 320i would put a really big smile on my face if they added to iRacing :)

That would be pretty sweet actually. I was just thinking how iRacing was missing some really good quality touring cars the other day.

Something like the Honda Civic or Accord would be really cool, or even the new Cruze would be a very nice addition as well.

That would be pretty sweet actually. I was just thinking how iRacing was missing some really good quality touring cars the other day.

Something like the Honda Civic or Accord would be really cool, or even the new Cruze would be a very nice addition as well.

I could get into a touring car series. Haven't tried the Jetta yet, but I'm sort of leery of buying it considering some of the feedback I've heard. On the other hand a Civic or Accord WOULD be awesome and we've already got some of the WTCC tracks, so...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back