Custom Shifters

Alex Ball

Web Nerd
Anyone else got/made a custom built shifter?

I bought mine about 3/4 years ago from the old RSC forum - I can't remember who from. Back then it worked, but wasn't perfect. It also used a hacked up old PS2 controller, with a USB converter, and a sandwich box of wires, a real mess.

So, it sat in my cupboard for 3 of those 4 years, and never got used. I recently ordered a GT Omega seat, and thought about buying a new shifter for it, then remembered about my old unit.

I plan to mount it on the G25 shifter mount when the seat arrives (march some time), but I wasn't happy about all of the wires and what-not. I set about modifying it today, adding a 7th button (to use as R) and converting it to a proper USB device, using a Leo Bodnar board.

It all works nicely, and, as long as you excuse the rough edges, is really nice to use.

Two things of note, before I show pics: The metal casing is littered with holes - I will be replacing this for Aluminium or Carbon or something like that at some point. Also, The mount plate on the base is so I can temporarily mount it before the GT Omega comes - it will be removed at that point.

I also plan to lengthen the shifter arm to make it more car-like, but I don't want to do that before the seat arrives so I can check the height.

Here's some pics:

Overview:
IMG_9166.JPG

IMG_9167.JPG

IMG_9168.JPG

Detail:
IMG_9158.JPG

IMG_9159.JPG

IMG_9160.JPG

So, anyone got anything similar, and if so, fancy sharing some pics?

That thing looks very familiar, and very nicely made. Think you got yourself a great deal there :)

I got half way through hacking up an old analogue joystick for a h-shift, then just went out and bought a G25 lol

Thats as close as i`ve gotton.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I really hate the G25 shifter. G27 was a bit nicer, but still felt cheap and plasticy. I would like to try the SST one, or perhaps the Fanatec CS one when they release it.

:)

Upvote 0
Alex :)

Thats a nice unit, ball detent, remote pivot.............Hmmmm....very 'Frex' like to be honest, I wouldnt mind a few more pics/details/measurments of that :)

Well worth sorting/tidying.........Nice :)

Upvote 0
heres a shifter i found on youtube that looks like one of the best feeling shifters ever and its got sequential built into it as well, if it was finished properly id imagine the guy could make some good $$$$ selling it!

o yeah heres the link

Upvote 0
heres a shifter i found on youtube that looks like one of the best feeling shifters ever and its got sequential built into it as well, if it was finished properly id imagine the guy could make some good $$$$ selling it!

Its almost as big as his chair! Does look very good "feeling". I wouldn't care about sequential built in I would just build another with a massive AscariA10 shaft.

Upvote 0
I like the looks of that shifter. I don't really think the size is a huge problem, but it would be nice if the design were a bit more compact for some. I like the idea that a lot of the product appears to be injection molded which would indicate that the cost would be a bit lower due to a die already being made. Assembly appears to be fairly simple, though adjustments to be sure all the rods are set to the correct length might take a little time.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back