Crash to desktop on the controls menu

Hi AMS experts :)

This is an actually an issue @Craig Patteson is experiencing but I just wanted to try and get a second opinion before I try anything.

He's having an issue when he saves changes in the controls panel it sometimes crashes the game.

Is this an issue anyone else has experienced?

I suppose we could write down the existing settings. Delete the controller file from his player folder and do a new fresh one.

He's only experiencing this issue when he's online gaming. Don't think it's happened in single player.

I think the game simply crashes to desktop, no not responding error or blue screen.

The game is running in window mode, windows 10, thrustmaster t500 wheel. All the drivers are up to date.

I did run the file check via STEAM, it did pick up about 250 files and did fits stuff. Unfortunately it replaced custom skin files more than anything else but it might do the trick.

I'm certainly not expert but I have the impression that very often people in trouble have permission issues: maybe the game cannot write the file properly? Not sure why it would be online only…
Make sure that he is running Steam and the game with admin right could fix it? Maybe you could save his player folder (with all the settings, it would be a pain to loose that) and create a new player completely: that way the folder will have the proper permissions; if it works, put the setups and settings files in the folder. Again, I'm just thinking loud...
I can imagine Craig's frustration! I hope you find a fix…

I'm certainly not expert but I have the impression that very often people in trouble have permission issues: maybe the game cannot write the file properly? Not sure why it would be online only…
Make sure that he is running Steam and the game with admin right could fix it? Maybe you could save his player folder (with all the settings, it would be a pain to loose that) and create a new player completely: that way the folder will have the proper permissions; if it works, put the setups and settings files in the folder. Again, I'm just thinking loud...
I can imagine Craig's frustration! I hope you find a fix…

Hiya,

Yeah kind of the thoughts I had as well. I made a slight mistake as yes it was doing the crash in single as well as multiplayer.

Put the exe file to admin settings as suggested. Also showed Craig the way to run in compatibility mode if he wanted to try that but as you mention it's like the game blocks the save changes and causes the game to crash.

Oddly the game started a new user profile and created it in the steam apps folder rather than in documents. Which is where it was before.

Fingers crossed the few things I've tried will work

The profile folder is in game when you have admin rights; in document folders when you don't. So if it changed location, it seems it is indeed related to permissions. Glad you got it sorted out! :thumbsup: And fingers crossed! I think Craig is running the MCR race tomorow morning, I'd be glad to have him on track! :)

The profile folder is in game when you have admin rights; in document folders when you don't. So if it changed location, it seems it is indeed related to permissions. Glad you got it sorted out! :thumbsup: And fingers crossed! I think Craig is running the MCR race tomorow morning, I'd be glad to have him on track! :)

Interesting. Learn something every day. Haha. Well fingers crossed. I think tomorrow is a test session to see if it's worked.

We actually had to change it back. For some reason running the game with admin permissions caused the game to jump frames and run badly. Very odd. Craig changed it back and now it's fine.

Please excuse me whilst I go and find a nice wall to bang my head against.....:laugh:

Ok. It's still doing it.

I understand that when Craig went from the car to the pits in the practise session this morning the game stopped responding.

He does run it in Windows mode so gonna try full screen as well to see if that works.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back