Competitions & Contests (merged)

Q & A Thread

RaceDepartment Skinning Competition - Amendments in Red

This will be a theme based competition, held as a 3-weekly event using Race 07/GTR Evolution/STCC.
Each week a theme will be chosen by the week’s previous winner, Cars will be chossen at random unless stated.

rulesxe7.jpg

1. The skin must conform to the rules below and apply to the theme chosen.

2. All entry details must by laid out in this fashion:
Form:

Car:"Car Brand"
Theme of the week:"Theme"
Additional info:

3. Each week's competition will be based on a theme, and that theme must be the most prominent part of the whole design.

4. The theme cannot be a single brand name, it must be a generic product type/market sector.
eg.
"Heineken" is not acceptable
"Beer" is acceptable
This is to encourage mutliple interpretations, multiple products and plenty of varied colour palettes.

5. The Skin must be made from scratch, and completed within a 2 week production window, which will be followed by a 1 week voting window.

6. The skin must be of your own design.

7. You cannot use the same base design for more than 2 weeks in a row.

8. Each skin will be put into a public poll allowing the members of RD to vote on the overall winner.

9. Renders can be produced in the entry thread, but at least 1 in-game shot must be produced, and that is the shot that will be used on the voting thread. If more than one in-game shot is produced, please mark the shot you wish to be used for the voting thread. All in-game screenshots must be unedited apart from cropping to save bandwidth.

10. The winner of the week will choose the car and the theme for the following week. The cars are now divided up into categories, and you cannot choose the same category as the previous 2 week's competition.
The categories are:
GT - GT Club, GT Sport, GT Pro
Touring cars - WTCC, STCC
Open Wheel - F3000, FBMW, Caterham 200/260/320
Other Cars - Radical SR3, SR4, Mini, Camaro
Other - Helmet type1, Helmet type 2, Driving suit

So, last week's entry of Mosler would mean that the GT category would not be available for choice.

11. The RaceDepartment logo must be used as one of the cars sponsors and must be veiwable in the in-game shot used on the voting thread.

12. Have Fun! :)

Brilliant Idea just a shame i cant skin :( Id love to see all the skinners here enter a competition-Maybe we could base it on a theme each month/week! e.g one week have electronic theme on the cars or only having the manufacturers logos on the car because althouh this is difficult it would bring out the best in them! BRILL idea :)

Sounds like something to improve the quality of ones currently meagre, but hopefully improving work :wink:

Amusingly ... I was just thinking that since I finished my Welde Honda skin earlier this week, it might be time to start something less garish :lol: ... and was just on RD looking for inspiration when I spotted this thread ... problem is, I have to wait another week ... oh well, time to practise :thumb:

• Francis Barker

This sounds like a good idea, yet again good work all.

• Sol Leung

Nice idea, i will give it a shot. Although i know i'm still a newbie on skinning the car.
Hopefully i can get better with some more practice. :amen:

Rules - Skinning Competition - Currently suspended

RaceDepartment Skinning Competition - Amendments in Red

This will be a theme based competition, held as a 3-weekly event using Race 07/GTR Evolution/STCC.
Each week a theme will be chosen by the week’s previous winner, Cars will be chossen at random unless stated.

rulesxe7.jpg

1. The skin must conform to the rules below and apply to the theme chosen.

2. The details must by laid out in this fashion:
Form:

Car:"Car Brand"
Theme of the week:"Theme"
Additional info:

3. Each week's competition will be based on a theme, and that theme must be the most prominent part of the whole design.

4. The theme cannot be a single brand name, it must be a generic product type/market sector.
eg.
"Heineken" is not acceptable
"Beer" is acceptable
This is to encourage mutliple interpretations, multiple products and plenty of varied colour palettes.

5. The Skin must be made from scratch, and completed within a 2 week production window, which will be followed by a 1 week voting window.

6. The skin must be of your own design.

7. You cannot use the same base design for more than 2 weeks in a row. You must use a new design, not seen, displayed or available for download anywhere else previously.

8. Each skin will be put into a public poll allowing the members of RD to vote on the overall winner.

9. Renders can be produced in the entry thread, but at least 1 in-game shot must be produced, and that is the shot that will be used on the voting thread. If more than one in-game shot is produced, please mark the shot you wish to be used for the voting thread. All in-game screenshots must be unedited apart from cropping to save bandwidth.

Edit - 02/11/09 - We will no longer be restricting the vehicles to the "Race" world. There are many skinnable platforms out there beyond the "Race" series of games - GTL, rFactor, Arca, GTR2 and now notably Forza 3. To reflect this vast expanse of skinnable content, we are going to remain with the "Any car, from any sim" parameter. Therefore, Rule 10 now reads:

10. The winner of the week will choose the theme for the following week.

11. The RaceDepartment logo does not have be used as one of the cars sponsors any longer (due to console restrictions), but must be used as a title overlay on the in-game shot used on the voting thread. The RaceDepartment logo must be oriented horizontally, and be sized a minimum of 33.3% ( 1/3 ) of the width of the final entry screen shot.

12. Voting for your own entry is strictly prohibited, and will result in exclusion from that weeks voting. Please show some respect for your competitors.

13. Have Fun! :)

Attachments

• logo.png
    logo.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 218
  • logo_noshadow.png
    logo_noshadow.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 210
  • logo_noshadow_whitesub.png
    logo_noshadow_whitesub.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 197
  • rdlogo.jpg
    rdlogo.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 209
... do we get good discounts from i3D for the game hosting in return all the free advertising? :pound: :pound:

Not complaining at all, and don't mind if we do, just something to consider asking em about if someone has not already done so (hint hint PR team) :wink:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.