Community Question | Best Racing Game of All Time?

In terms of simulation i would say Rfactor 2, but for overall fun I'd say assetto corsa or Rfactor 1 due to the massive modding communities. I also fin project torque to be enjoyable when i feel like messing around and using a controller

In terms of overall scope and wide influence of bringing more people to experience sim racing, I would say Assetto Corsa simply for its modding capability and massive influence it does to get people to realize that sim racing even exists. Because of the amount of people that play it and the easy modding tools it practically has every single car you can imagine while in other sims having over 10 road car mods is considered a lot. It's also the only modern sim that has the car enthusiast appeal of being able to drive the cars we own.

GTR2. Even easily, I would say.
But GTR2, not only due to it's easy modable, easy creating endurance championships with mixed classes, good rain model that still lasts, fine graphics. It's day-night modelling was ahead of it's time, combined with changing weather it's still a joy setting up your own offline mixed class 14 hr endurance race. Though against sim the 'Savegame' is a good idea competing offline 24 hour races.
However, the last couple of days been playing rFactor (1) again on Siracusa track mod with F1SR F1 1991 LE, heck of fun and challenge even with keyboard.
Before 2006 GTR2 my heart got stuck with Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 2 in 1996
In between F1C99-02's vast mods and hereby got real familar with Nordschleife first time....but before entering Nordschleife IRL
Today I play AC, ACC, rF2, Automobilista, PC2 and a bit iRacing - but I've always returned to GTR2. Still competitive today here 14 years later. Impressive.

<2 wheels>
Microprose GP500, EA Superbike 2k & 2k1, MotoGP 19 and GP Bikes
I hope for release of recent SBK game very hard.

<4 wheels>
rFactor1/2, EA F1 Challenge and SimBin GTR Series

Opinions, opinions, opinions.... everyone has one, and none of them are ever wrong, but that isn't going to stop us having a good old fashioned debate now, is it?!?

The rules of this little conversation piece are simple - please stay respectful to each other even if you don't agree with what is being said.. let's have fun, not war!

The question I want to throw out to the sim racing community here at RaceDepartment is a simple one on face value, but something of a challenge when you take a moment to sit back and think about the many possibilities, and why a certain game might resonate with you personally.

In scope for this discussion are racing games of any variety whatsoever. From hardcore sim to arcade racer, management game, top down fun run and everything in between!

So good people of RD - what is the Best Racing Game of all Time, in your opinion?
Assetto Corsa all the time. It has a very good physique and wheel feeling but the most important thing is that AC permits an infinite variety of nods which are making this simulation endless and improving day by day. See currently AC with, SOL, Custom Shaders Patch, CM and one of the PPF filters (also SOL HC or Extra working great). In AC you can find a very good AI for single player and a big community for multiplayer. In single you can find almost 99% of the existing street and race cars and tracks and replicate the greatest part of real championships with great fun. In multiplayer you find online several leagues very well organized were you can compete. I could still continue but I think this is already enough. AC (thank you to the great support of modders) is on top despite there are also others simulations are at excellent level.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.