1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Closing background processes and/or programs

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Warren Dawes, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

Does anyone recommend a good (simple) program to help me close down background processes and free up memory for gaming.

I have lost my gaming PC for a while (off for repairs) and I'm trying to use my laptop for some emergency gaming. It seems reasonable but usually the game gets stuttery due to an overall lack of RAM and video Ram.
    I know I could use Task Manager and try to "trial and error" my way through the list, but this takes forever.

My system on the Laptop is Vista, and seems to have lots of stuff hogging the limited memory I have (2 gig RAM).

2. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

Cheers Jari.

3. www.iobit.com you will find some free stuff which you can use for this kind of stuff.

4. Try Game Booster available from C-NET :)

5. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

Thanks guys, I have a few now and they seem to work nicely.

6. Gamebooster works great i also use it. :)

7. Marcel Hulsbergen

Marcel Hulsbergen
    #111 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs Premium Member

You can create a command file withe the taskkill command.

Example:
    taskkill /f /im "iexplore.exe"
    taskkill /f /im "mcafee.exe"

Look in the taskmonitor for the programs and processes you want to kill.

In the taskmanager options you can set pid on, every process has a unique pid, you can also use the pid number instead of the application name.

Name the file like:
    close.cmd

8. Tim McIver

Tim McIver
    PrestoGP Veteran Premium Member

I've been using gamebooster for a while and it was really good at preventing Nvidia freezes, but now when I switch to gaming mode my internet connection goes down? Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance...

Tim.

9. You could also try this:

It's not exactly what you're looking for but it might help.