Circuits of the World: Adelaide Street Circuit

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Last time on Circuits of the World, we visited Circuit Zolder, in Belgium. This time, however, we cross the planet on to Southern Australia...

Although Albert Park (Melbourne) has made a name for itself as one of the better known circuits of Australia (along Bathurst), the streets of Adelaide were host to the Formula 1 World Championship between 1985-1995. And unlike nowadays, where Australia is usually host of the first or second race of the season, Adelaide was host of the very last race of its debut season...

After having raced on the street circuits of Dallas and Detroit, drivers were particularly wary of racing on yet another street circuit. However, the rather fast layout of the track (with a top speed of over 320km/h) turned out to be an enormous success. And the fact that it was the last race of the season made of Adelaide a place loaded with eventful races. The race in 1994 will be particularly remembered due to the Schumacher/Hill crash, which saw the german retiring after his crash (and, in that moment, losing the World Championship to Damon Hill), just to have the British driver retiring as well shortly after due to unrepairable damage...

[youtube]

3.780 km… of speed, speed and more speed

Adelaide Street Circuit is surprisingly fast. If we were to compare it to street circuits of these days, it would come close to Valencia's Street Circuit. Long straights, only two slow corners... Here it doesn't suffice with being tidy, drivers need to keep momentum going through the few slow corners or they'll risk losing a noticeable amount of time.

Ayrton Senna took the first pole position of Adelaide in a brilliant lap (1:19:843) in 1985. Sounds quick? It certainly was, but the Brazilian legend lowered down to an astonishing 1:15.671 in 1990, which remains as the fastest time ever for the circuit.

[youtube]

The track in modern racing

Adelaide Street Circuit is no longer used in Fomula 1. It won't come back either. But it's still regularly used (albeit on a shorter layout) and hosts the Adelaide 500 race of the Australian V8 Supercar series. However, as it runs entirely on public streets on the city, it's possible to drive it on any car at any moment.

The track in sim racing

Adelaide Street Circuit is not widely used in sim racing. Nor it's been available as part of the games released over the last years. However, it's possible to find some fanmade versions of it, particularly for the popular sim rFactor.

If you haven't had enough of Adelaide Street Circuit yet, fear not, as you can watch the 1995 Australian Grand Prix on Youtube. The very last Formula 1 race there:

[youtube]

As always, if you’d like to see a particular track featured in the next entry of Circuits of the World, feel free to point out in the comments!
View the Post on the Blog

Nice to see a review of my hometown track :D

Just one little note though - the article states the following:
However, as it runs entirely on public streets on the city, it’s possible to drive it on any car at any moment.

This isn't entirely correct - the "Victoria Park" section of the track is a small purpose built section between turns 12 and 3 of the GP track or turns 10 and 3 of the V8SC track... You can go and have a run or ride your bicycle around there though :p

Just FYI :)

However, as it runs entirely on public streets on the city, it’s possible to drive it on any car at any moment.

This isn't entirely correct - the "Victoria Park" section of the track is a small purpose built section between turns 12 and 3 of the GP track or turns 10 and 3 of the V8SC track... You can go and have a run or ride your bicycle around there though :p

yeah... and don't forget the "Save the Parklands" clowns that vitoed a permanent grandstand and pit facility costing tax payers $3 million/year for set up/tear down costs FM :)

I had no idea about that. I was under the assumption that all of it was part of the public streets. I'll try to get it fixed. Thanks!

The article states:

Adelaide Street Circuit is no longer used in Fomula 1. It won’t come back either.

Why is this? is it because its not safe enough (i.e. barriers too close to the track) or is it just because of money and facilities? Or is it purely because Albert Park currently does a good enough job?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back