'Circuit Zolder almost bankrupt'

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
In order to survive, Circuit Zolder urgently needs to change its strategy as motorsports alone doesn't provide enough income for the legendary Belgian race track that's now forced to reinvent itself.

Current circuit director Thierry Deflandre wants Circuit Zolder to become the hub for electrical car development he told regional news channel TV Limburg. Besides the already introduced bicycle events, bringing extra revenue, Deflandre's stressed he wants to embrace the so-called "clean mobility" in the near future in addition to their motorsport events. Some years ago the CleanWeek 2020 was introduced, a futuristic fully fledged CO2 neutral mobility event.

To increase the focus even more an ambitious plan is now launched that needs funding from a regional taskforce, that was predominantly created to try to and create new jobs in the region after the closure of the Ford Car factory in Genk which had a major impact on the local economy. The goal of the project is to create jobs for around 50 engineers that will work in offices at Zolder where locally developed hi-tech technologies and vehicles can be tested.

Lets hope the plan succeeds to safe the legendary race track, that was host to many Formula One, GT, WTCC, Champ Car and endurance events in the past, as Circuit Zolder celebrates its 50th anniversary this year and has a special place in the hearts of many motorsport fans around the world.
View the Post on the Blog

Track days open to the public 7 days a week? Pay a reasonable fee and get 5 laps? It would suck to have this place close. I've never been there and probably will never be able too since I'm on the other side of the planet, but it's one of my favorite sim tracks.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back