• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Have a chance to win a copy of F1 2017 The Game (PC) by following RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

Changing gear

Discussion in 'RACE 07 - Official WTCC Game' started by Tim Ling, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Tim Ling

Tim Ling
    It's a million-to-1 chance, but it just might work Premium

Ratings:
    +1,002
    What is the best time to shift? I've thought some thins and read others, but I'd like some good advice, cos I'm a slow poke lookimg for every angle :pound:

2. Daniel Monteiro

Daniel Monteiro
    Premium

Ratings:
    +336
    i'm not sure about the exact time, but when you look at your rpm gauge, i think you should shift when the number of the gear turns red. some people do it a little before, when the pointer reaches the redline...

3. Eric. K

Eric. K

Ratings:
    +112
    oops.. wrong forum...

4. Tim Ling

Tim Ling
    It's a million-to-1 chance, but it just might work Premium

Ratings:
    +1,002
    What about the LED bar on the wheel? Do I change as the lights turn red again?

5. Daniel Monteiro

Daniel Monteiro
    Premium

Ratings:
    +336
    for example, in my bmw 320 e46, it's got like 10 red lights. i shift gears as soon as i can see the last one litting up. some cars have 5 lights, yellow and red, but i think it's the same principle. i always shift when i see the last light :thumb:

6. Mehmet Arslan

Mehmet Arslan

Ratings:
    +0
    The important thing is which gear to take the corner, like for a very tight turn usually u take it with the first gear, but for a normal slow corner mostly 2nd gear, but what i see alot like with gtr 2 ,guys are taking the slow corners with the 3rd gear, maybe to avoid the back slipping away when applying too much gas?

7. James Yates

James Yates

Ratings:
    +5
    Depends on the car really - if the car has a lot of low down power, such as a Viper you are best off changing gear earlier than normal so you can make the most of the torque. However, if it is something like a Radical, you are best off revving the hell out of it as all the power is high up.

8. Lee Downham

Lee Downham

Ratings:
    +1
    As James said it all depends on the car and the place it develops it max torque and bhp ... plus where you are changing gear, as sometimes a short shift can allow for earlier acceleration and not so much wheelsping coming out of bends ...

I tend to use the straights in a practice session to get a feel for where the power drops off, and try to change just before

Also Evo has an info button with power @rpm details when you are selecting your car (Race has the info somewhere but can't picture where for the minute) ... you can use thsi as a guide