Casual Racing Fan looking for a game to scratch the itch?

Looking for a bit of advice and probably something that may not exist...

Ideally after a game that will allow me to:

1 - Race in a realistic Championship and ideally career
2 - Have a fun AI that will race fairly and fun, challenging in races and Championships as it evolves
3 - Damage model, graphically realistic (ie cars without wheels or bent up bodywork) as well as causing cars not to finish
4 - Modern, as in a relatively new game as I enjoy decent graphics
5 - Mods not fussed about, but if it enhances the game then im all for it

Just really looking for a great single player experience. I keep checking in on ACC, but it looks really poor in terms of damage model and that sucks me out of it. Same for Nascar Heat 4 (although I have that), i mean id love to race that properly but having giant wrecks that dont have great smoke or sparks or bent up Nascars is just wrong.

Any help appreciated.

As you say, ACC ticks most of the boxes but visual damage is weak and opinion on AI is as usual, mixed. Though by focusing on one type of car it should be reasonable.

F1 2019 has the realistic championship and career. Not got it so can't comment on the AI but you would hope that after the 8 or 9 iterations and the fact they are only simulating F1 and F2 cars it should be OK. I think it does visual damage OK.

Raceroom has some real life championships. It is a bit dated graphically and damage has only recently been improved. I'm not sure how good the visual damage is - not crashed in RR since it was updated. AI generally has a good reputation but not everyone agrees.

PC2 has a career consisting of fictional championships. It can be fun but the AI isn't very consistent. Visual damage is good and graphics have a good balance of frame-rate vs looks.

AMS2 currently doesn't have championship mode and the AI is still in development. Damage not really implemented yet either. It could be what you are looking for in the longer term but not now.

AMS1 has a good reputation for AI, and a championship mode including at least one real championship. Damage modelling is a bit behind the times as are graphics.

Rf2 has improving graphics but still dated IMO. Visual damage is somewhat limited. No championship or career mode. Some love the AI, some don't. People will never agree on AI.

AC has a limited career and no championship. AI as ever has mixed reviews and not normally at the top of the list of best AI. There is visual damage. The stock graphics are not bad and the are mods to "enhance" these.

Thinking outside the box, Wreckfest fits the damage requirements. Not played it but it has a reputation for being fun. Don't know about championships or career modes,or how good the AI is. I think it fits the casual element well.

Thanks for replying, I do have Wreckfest and its fun for what it is online.

Im thinking F1 is the place to start, id love a Touring Car game and I think Raceroom offers that, but again as you state I dont think they really cater for or implement damage well.

Ill hve to have a nose around.

I think to begin with and for AI races and decent "everything" Race Room is the way to go.
Really good Allrounder, does evertyhing reasonably well and in my opinion has the best AI and championships are implemented quite well, too.

If you don't want to jump directly into a simulation, Project Cars II would be a good alternative. Friendly for beginners, visually appelaing, lots of content. But the physics engine is to be debated at least.

Chris Haye made a pretty good summary on the simualtion of your choice for beginners.

Edit: RaceRoom also has the widest variety of Touring Car content and is a free game so you can try it out. Then you can decide which and what content you want to buy additionally.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back