Caster or Diffuser??

I would like to know what is the difference between Caster and Diffuser in rFactor. Because it seems that the two are together in the advanced part of the setup. Does it have something to do with the GarageDisplayFlag on HDV?

Caster is the longitudinal tilt of the front wheels slightly rearward, this makes the wheels self-centering and, up to a point, makes steering easier; taken too far the steering becomes heavy. Diffuser is the underbody "tunnels" that create a venturi effect of low pressure which sucks the car to the road.

All cars have caster, some race cars have diffusers.

Yes, I understand the concept of both, what I would like to know is how to know if I am adjusting the diffuser or the caster, since both are labeled "Caster" in the advanced part of the setup. And also, is there any way to show "Diffuser" or "Caster" by editing the HDV?

Last edited:
The diffuser is not adjustable via the setup menus, it is an integral part of the chassis design. I believe it can be adjusted in the BODYAERO section of the HDV file:
BodyFore=(0.0, -0.220, 0.443) // aero forces from moving forwards

Caster is in the "Suspension" section of the HDV file:
LeftCasterRange=(-2.0, 0.1, 81) // front-left caster
LeftCasterSetting=58
RightCasterRange=(-2.0, 0.1, 81) // front-right caster
RightCasterSetting=58
For suspension settings the first number is the base (in this case -2.0 deg.), next number is the incremental adjustment (steps of 0.1 deg.), third number is number of steps (81). Setting is the default within this range, here 58 of 81 (thus the 58th setting is -2.0).

The diffuser is not adjustable via the setup menus, it is an integral part of the chassis design. I believe it can be adjusted in the BODYAERO section of the HDV file:
BodyFore=(0.0, -0.220, 0.443) // aero forces from moving forwards

Caster is in the "Suspension" section of the HDV file:
LeftCasterRange=(-2.0, 0.1, 81) // front-left caster
LeftCasterSetting=58
RightCasterRange=(-2.0, 0.1, 81) // front-right caster
RightCasterSetting=58
For suspension settings the first number is the base (in this case -2.0 deg.), next number is the incremental adjustment (steps of 0.1 deg.), third number is number of steps (81). Setting is the default within this range, here 58 of 81 (thus the 58th setting is -2.0).
But then, in HDV there is also the exclusive part of the Diffuser:
[DIFFUSER]
DiffuserBase=(-1.0246, 2.12, 83.74) // Base lift and 1st/2nd order with rear ride height
DiffuserFrontHeight=(1.450) // 1st order with front ride height
DiffuserRake=(-0.002, -20, 440.0) // Optimum rake (rear - front ride height), 1st order with current difference from opt, 2nd order
DiffuserLimits=(0.013, 0.105, 0.044) // Min ride height before stalling begins (0.0=disabled), max rear ride height for computations, max rake difference for computations
DiffuserStall=(0.1, 0.56) // Function to compute stall ride height (0.0=minimum, 1.0=average), downforce lost when bottoming out (0.0=none, 1.0=complete stall)
DiffuserDraftLiftMult=1.40 // Effect of draft on diffuser's lift response
DiffuserSideways=(0.432) // Dropoff with yaw (0.0 = none, 1.0 = max)
DiffuserPeakYaw=(1.5, 1.03) // Angle of peak, multiplier at peak
DiffuserCenter=(0.0, 0.01, -1.284) // Center of diffuser forces (offset from center of rear axle at ref plane)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I wanted is, like, how to show "Caster" or how to show "Diffuser" in the advanced part of the setup. I don't know if it's in this part of the HDV:

GarageDisplayFlags=255 // How settings are displayed in garage (add): 1=rear downforce value (vs. angle), 2=radiator (vs. grille tape), 4=more gear info, 8+16=front downforce/wing /splitter/air dam, 32+64=rear downforce/wing/spoiler, 128=flip ups (vs. fender flare)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.