CamTool 2

Apps CamTool 2 1.16 x64

Login or Register an account to download this content
In a week or two - if nobody else has tackled it - i could take another look, probably replacing calls to "stdlib64\CamTool_1-16.dll", stuff needed is now available with csp functions...the ui stuff is easier than this i hope
I am trying to understand the code, but I don't see how you want to replace these DLL calls by CSP functions. And why do you think It would have better perfomance ?

I don't find the source code of the dll, the given link some thread pages before seems broken. Can we have it to save it on Github ? It would be a shame to loose it and not be able to continue to improve this great app.

I tried to comment out code lines as kasperski95 suggested, but for the moment I don't see how to improve perf more. If I reduce the calls which change the camera params, the view seen is not right any more (cam shaking, blurry car, etc).

Last edited:
I understood a performance issue: the camtool window is constantly redrawn even if nothing needs to be refreshed in the window. So what I did is just calling the redraw function when it's needed, for example when the user click on something.

When the app is iddle, it's not red anymore in the debug app. I only need to find out which cases without user interaction would need a redraw of the window. For example, when the active cam changes, it should be bold. I must find all these cases and fix them. But I don't know the app quiet well. Is someone is interested in helping me about this and test if everything works fine, that would be great.

When we activate the automated cam though, it's still very cpu intensive. It's a bit better because, the first fix is still valid. But I think it will be hard to improve performance for this case. Still, I'm going to try to do what kasperski95 said: identify the bottleneck. Then we will see If we can improve something. But what the app is doing seems very like a hack, not something intended to be done in the first place with the tools given by AC devs, so that's why it's cpu intensive I think. So we may improve it a bit, but not that much when it's active.
I'm willing to help. I've made ~100 camtool sets for different tracks. PM and we talk.

I am trying to understand the code, but I don't see how you want to replace these DLL calls by CSP functions. And why do you think It would have better perfomance ?

I don't find the source code of the dll, the given link some thread pages before seems broken. Can we have it to save it on Github ? It would be a shame to loose it and not be able to continue to improve this great app.

I tried to comment out code lines as kasperski95 suggested, but for the moment I don't see how to improve perf more. If I reduce the calls which change the camera params, the view seen is not right any more (cam shaking, blurry car, etc).
Does commenting out lines of code used to communicate with DLL file improved FPS significantly?

Does commenting out lines of code used to communicate with DLL file improved FPS significantly?
Hi !

I am using the debug app to check the performance because I don't have big FPS issues. This is the results:
Without code change:
time average with ctt set calls.png

If I comment calls to the "ctt" variable which is responsible to call the dll:
time average with ctt set calls commented out.png

We win approximately 3 milliseconds. It's good but not that much (it's pretty much the same kind of perf improvement as my fix for the gui which is already applied on both tests).

I think that means that the main problem is that there is too much calls in the acUpdate function, particularly in the def __interpolate because it's a big one. My thoughts is that we must find a way to reduce code calls at each acUpdate. And What I cannot do is to find which calls are not mandatory for each acUpdate.

You implemented a function "data.has_camera_changed()". I have used it for my new feature "use specific camera" to call my feature only when the camera has changed. Maybe there is a lot more code that could be done only when the camera changes ? For the moment I didn't manage to find out which line of code could be called less. I tried for example to call the __interpolate function only every 100 milleseconds, or one in two calls of acUpdate. But I seems to break the final rendered result.

Do you have any idea ? It's difficult for me to understand what the code do and what we could call less. Maybe we could implement a cache or something which calls the last calculated numbers (fov, etc) instead of redoing the whole calculation at each acUpdate call. But that means that the result will be less accurate ... I don't know, maybe every line is important and we just cannot optimize anything. There might be some optimization here and there to reduce a bit some calls, we could gain maybe 2 or 3 ms ...

I have one idea though, we could check the next frame, and if there is no change for a parameter (fov, point of view etc), calculation could be skipped and we could use the value calculated at the last call.

On my setup, I don't have FPS problems, does someone has a use case of a big FPS drop ? Maybe it would help to find out if there is really a problem somewhere.

Last edited:
Hello, I finally posted the first performance fix here plus some more cameras available for the new feature:
Feel free to give feedback for improvements.

Last edited:
Hello, I am having trouble with CamTool_2 when it comes to it showing up in my apps. I downloaded it from the website and installed it into the game using content manager. I even went into the apps tab in setting and check marked it to enable it, but whenever I go into my replays CamTool_2 never gets pulled up on the right when I hover over the apps manager. If anyone has a possible solution to this then it would be much appreciated

You have any other cam related apps? they could interfere with camtool2, so disable them.
Installing apps can fail with CM, do manual install instead.
In case you are at the wrong place, enable here:
1620227581492.png

Maybe also check or post
"...\Documents\Assetto Corsa\logs\py_log.txt"

I did further testing, and apparently with some replays (or some moments in replays) CamTool don't work: the camera does not move. Anyone experienced this bug?

It seems that keyframes are not taken into account if you are on the last cam. Try adding a cam, then edit your keyframes of your cams before the last cam. This should work

If workaround of @ktulu77 didn't work, feel free to post a video here for us to see how this bug is.
In the end, my conclusion is: it seems that CamTool doesn't work for some cars. For example, I can't use it on the Nissan HR31 from SRP: if I choose this car as a base to setup a camera, the camera won't move. Tested on two different replays.
So, the workaround is simple: choosing another car as a base of setup!
I hope it can help somebody !

Hi im really struggling to get this to show up in the game, I have copied the folders into the apps & contents folder, It shows up under general settings and i tick to box to activate it, But in the game it just does not show up on the side bar, I have tried this when im driving, watching a replay and when going to replays from the main menu and it just doesnt show up at all down the side, What am i doing wrong? Do i need CM as i dont use that and should it work ok without it

Any help would be brilliants, Thanks Chris

Hi im really struggling to get this to show up in the game, I have copied the folders into the apps & contents folder, It shows up under general settings and i tick to box to activate it, But in the game it just does not show up on the side bar, I have tried this when im driving, watching a replay and when going to replays from the main menu and it just doesnt show up at all down the side, What am i doing wrong? Do i need CM as i dont use that and should it work ok without it

Any help would be brilliants, Thanks Chris
Wow... sorry... you don't use CM?
I think I cannot help you, sorry.
Let's hope someone else can...

I really hope the dev or someone can help me coz I love this app for it's spline function.

The issue I have is that when I enable the cam, the fps drops 50% and the GPU usage with 20%. First thought is that the app is written poorly and does not use multithreading or something. It is really annoying to get frame drops up do 20 when my gpu is chilling at 60%.

Please help :((

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 443 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 276 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 294 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 133 20.8%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 172 27.0%
Back