British Grand Prix - Who's Going?

Hearing all everyone say they don't want to go because of the weather or they're just tired of it makes me so sad. The closest race to me is COTA at 2200 miles away, I'd give anything to have a race that close.

30 years of improvements have made it so much better.
Really...?
Vast improvements for the very rich, yes.
Not so much for the rest.
30 years of price increases too..
Better access, yes.
However, take off the blinkers and look at new modern purpose built tracks..
Not badly adapted airfields.
Still, none of this matters much, because it looks like this could be the last race.
Oh, my friend has been to just about every race, guest of Ford, and he stands by what he said, 'You cannot polish a turd'.
I would not go that far, however I understand what he means..

I suppose Haters are gonna hate. The race will be better anyway without haters at the track taking tickets off those who want them

Really...?
Vast improvements for the very rich, yes.
Not so much for the rest.
30 years of price increases too..
Better access, yes.
However, take off the blinkers and look at new modern purpose built tracks..
Not badly adapted airfields.
Still, none of this matters much, because it looks like this could be the last race.
Oh, my friend has been to just about every race, guest of Ford, and he stands by what he said, 'You cannot polish a turd'.
I would not go that far, however I understand what he means..

Sour grapes if your mate doesn't like the turd of the track why did he still go? Yeah cos all these new tracks Abu Dhabi Russia shanghi are really great tracks ain't they? I see Korea lasted a long time didn't it Valencia too. I may only be 30 years old but I've been to every gp from the 1990 up to 2007 and again from 15 to this year and I loved everything about it

Also I thought this thread was about who's going to the gp not slag of sliverstone

I think what we have to remember is for a track in the UK to host a British Grand Prix it has to be profitable (unless the UK government step in to help). Silverstone is the only UK circuit that's available to do this and all of the others won't offer to hold it unless they can make money. For Brands or Donington (for example) to hold the race they would have to completely redesign the circuits and build new pits and infrastructure buildings (as they are not to F1 standard) this in my view would ruin them.

Also you have to remember that in the UK there are now noise pollution laws to deal with. The residents of the Brands Hatch area would probably never allow the F1 race there. At the moment there are limited times that they can use the GP loop and there are curfew times when the racing must stop. This also exists at Silverstone but are slightly more relaxed (the 24hr race for example now has I think a 95db noise limit).

Silverstone, Monza and Spa (we'll ignore Monaco) are all "old school" circuits. They all suffer from being a little rough around the edges, but that's due to their age. Modern circuits are great for facilities, night clubs, bars, living the high life but I'm there to watch the cars on track.

I've spoken to people that hated Spa because they got muddy and wet but loved Monaco because they could drink champagne all day. You can't please everybody.

In the last few years Silverstone have put a lot of effort into making the circuit more fan friendly, it is the best option for the British Grand Prix in my view. Yes it did need the Wing Building though. The facilities in the Heritage Pits were past their best and looking pretty shabby. Ok, I would prefer the '91 track layout but changes had to be made. Ironically the new section is great for viewing.

At least you can walk around the circuit and still see the cars, I have been to circuits in Europe where unless you are in a grandstand you can't see anything.

There is also one thing worth mentioning that maybe some of you don't know. Silverstone are building a massive motorsport museum (opening 2018/2019) so that's another thing worth looking forward to :thumbsup:

We are very lucky in the UK for motorsport :)

I think what we have to remember is for a track in the UK to host a British Grand Prix it has to be profitable (unless the UK government step in to help). Silverstone is the only UK circuit that's available to do this and all of the others won't offer to hold it unless they can make money. For Brands or Donington (for example) to hold the race they would have to completely redesign the circuits and build new pits and infrastructure buildings (as they are not to F1 standard) this in my view would ruin them.

Also you have to remember that in the UK there are now noise pollution laws to deal with. The residents of the Brands Hatch area would probably never allow the F1 race there. At the moment there are limited times that they can use the GP loop and there are curfew times when the racing must stop. This also exists at Silverstone but are slightly more relaxed (the 24hr race for example now has I think a 95db noise limit).

Silverstone, Monza and Spa (we'll ignore Monaco) are all "old school" circuits. They all suffer from being a little rough around the edges, but that's due to their age. Modern circuits are great for facilities, night clubs, bars, living the high life but I'm there to watch the cars on track.

I've spoken to people that hated Spa because they got muddy and wet but loved Monaco because they could drink champagne all day. You can't please everybody.

In the last few years Silverstone have put a lot of effort into making the circuit more fan friendly, it is the best option for the British Grand Prix in my view. Yes it did need the Wing Building though. The facilities in the Heritage Pits were past their best and looking pretty shabby. Ok, I would prefer the '91 track layout but changes had to be made. Ironically the new section is great for viewing.

At least you can walk around the circuit and still see the cars, I have been to circuits in Europe where unless you are in a grandstand you can't see anything.

There is also one thing worth mentioning that maybe some of you don't know. Silverstone are building a massive motorsport museum (opening 2018/2019) so that's another thing worth looking forward to :thumbsup:

We are very lucky in the UK for motorsport :)

Is it Thursday yet I'm waiting to go haha

I might be going as part of the Great Ormond Street Hospital F1 Challenge, but I'm just on the reserves list so am hoping for someone to drop out so am not sure yet. If I end up going, be generous guys when I come around rattling my GOSH bucket :p

Regarding views at Silverstone, the general admission standing area at the end of the new pit straight is a good spot to experience how the cars turn in and seem to defy physics. Especially impressive in quali, and I guess will be even more so this year.

Last year I spent a fair bit of time down the end of Hangar Straight just before Stowe. Some decent overtaking opportunities there, plus it feels like you're pretty close to the cars at high speed.

As was pointed out already, Brands isn't really suitable for modern F1, but is still an amazing place to watch racing, especially when the GP loop is open. Seeing (and hearing!) the historic F1 cars fly around there was something else!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.