Brazilian SimRacer Passes Away After Suffering a Stroke Mid-race

Lorenzo Bonder

Wah wah.
Luis_Santos.jpg

Brazilian SimRacer, Luis Santos, passed away Sunday, October 16th, after suffering a hemorrhagic stroke while competing in a Brazilian league race last Thursday.

Luis Santos, 36, was a virtual race driver for the Brazilian team Z3 and was competing in Automobilista national leagues. Last Thursday, October 13th, he was participating in a DTM race around the Barber Motorsports Park track for the F1BC league, when he suffered a stroke while fighting for a race lead spot during the 12th minute of a 50 minute race.

Santos team mates and team manager quickly realized something was wrong with him and, knowing his address, managed to send an ambulance to rescue him and send Santos, who was at that point the league's points leader, to the hospital. The unfortunate news quickly rounded the net and everyone was caught by surprise, including the race broadcasting crew.

Once taken to the hospital, he was promptly taken to the ICU where attempts of resuscitation were made by the doctors, but to no success. Luis Fernando Santos, passed away at the age of 36. He is survived by his wife and two daughters.

We at RaceDepartment try to bring you the best of news in SimRacing and real racing. We also need to remind everyone that, more importantly, we are a global community that gather around a common passion: SimRacing. Like everyone, we are deeply saddened when news like this occurs.

On behalf of all RaceDepartment staff - and I'm sure we can speak for every member of this site when we say - we would like to pay our respects to our fellow SimRacer and send our deepest sympathies and support to the Santos family and friends during this time of grief.

Also we'd like to thank and commend Luis' team, Z3, for promptly taking action and placing the need for immediate medical attention above all else, exactly the way it should be.

Finally, as a fellow Brazilian I'll close this article by saying, Descanse em paz (Rest in peace).

Last edited by a moderator:
So sad reading this. I didn't know him but the fact he was only 36 and a husband and father to two girls tears me up a bit as a fellow sim racer, husband and father. My thoughts are with his family and I hope they'll be ok. They've lost their man... :(

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 78 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 115 27.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 67 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 40 9.7%
  • €3001-5000