1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Brawn: 2012 car ‘good basis’ for next Mercedes

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Kartik Sri Harsha, Aug 15, 2012.

1. http://www.f1zone.net/news/brawn-2012-car-good-basis-for-next-mercedes/15295/
    The Mercedes was strong in the First part but they couldn't capitalize it
    Also the Regulations are Pretty same for 2013 except the Platypus nose and Ban on Double DRS
    How many of you think that Mercedes can be Front Runner in 2013 and also can the Mid Field catch the Front Running teams or Do the Front teams will move ahead making the Fight once again between Top teams
    What was your views on this guys

2. Let me see if i can find my crystal ball i know i put it somewhere...

No but seriously, no i don´t think Mercedes will be a front runner.
    I think Mclaren Red Bull and Ferrari will be at the top as usual.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Apart from RBR,Mclaren and Ferrari which other teams Can Benefit from the same set of rules from your view

4. ?
    All teams have the same set of rules.

5. I mean to say which mid field team can become threat for Top Runners according to you as we saw some Challenge from Sauber and Williams this season as they snatched Podiums in Malaysia(Sauber), Spain(Williams), Canada(Sauber), Valencia(Almost)

6. ok in understand what you mean now.

To tell you the truth, nobody knows. Not even the teams know.
    they don´t even know how competitive their own car will be because they have nothing to measure it against.

In Australia 2013 Q3 you will know the pecking order for sure.

7. Mohameddo-san

Mohameddo-san
    F1 Sim Racer & #1 St. Bernard Lover on RD Premium Member

Let's hope they can manager their reliability issues.

Schumacher and even Rosberg are in a car that is not fully reliable like the Ferrari.

8. Xosé Estrada

Xosé Estrada
    Premium Member

This is the same they said in 2011 :)

9. At the start of this season the Mercedes are in a Position that posed threat to Big teams and got a Win in China with Nico , A 2nd Place in Monaco For Nico also and a 3rd Place Finish for Micheal in Valencia (After a Drama of Retirements and Accidents)
    After Valencia they are not in a Posing any threat and Both cars failed to Qualify for Q2 in Hungary ( Micheal was Excellent Driver in Wet so don't consider his skills into car performance)
    Ross Brawn and Nobert Haug says that Due to Tire wear issues we are not Prove our self and the Most Rear tire wear is due to the Mercedes Engine
    If they had Tire wear problems they will struggle for Race pace but why they are struggling for One lap pace ??

10. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins
    Driving til the wheels fall off

I think its because the torque of the Mercedes engine wheel-spins the rear tyres on the exit of corners, which will lose you time.

11. Then Force India and Mclaren would have similar problems :)

12. As far as I know, you lose more time under braking then under acceleration so what if the problem is downforce; because the mechanical grip in the Mercedes is very good. (Schumi's shadow pole in Monaco talks for it self) ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yes as you see the Mercedes was thinking to go out as a Team but continue as a Engine Supplier and then the team Name may change as AMG F1 team
    Honestly i guess that will change things for their Performance

14. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins
    Driving til the wheels fall off

McLaren definitely have. Not sure about Force India. There's never much media focus on them.

15. Where was the wheelspin on Hamilton´s car at Hungary? :)
    His car locked up like they had put glue on those rear tires, his rear grip was really the sole reason he won at Hungary.

It´s not the engine that causes them problems, it´s the best engine on the grid.
    If you have excessive tire wear then you have set-up problems or to stiff suspension.

16. Auto Motor und Sport wrote a pretty big article on this: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/mercedes-motor-schuld-am-reifen-problem-5316057.html

The gist of it, since it's in German: The Mercedes engine is so powerful, especially in the mid torque range, that the rear tyres start to spin.

I used Google translate and then corrected the worst mistakes. Admittedly not very fun to read, but I don't have time to do it better right now.

What makes this story credible to me is that after Hockenheim, Schumacher said in an interview about his race performance that some very interesting decisions are being made (though he wouldn't specify) that might improve Mercedes' performance in the future. That was when RB was under scrutiny for their engine map. So it's possible that Schumacher was alluding to this because he knew the strong Merc engine is actually a weakness.

17. The Mercedes V8 has the most power, especially in the midrange.That's nice for one lap, but can shorten the life of the rear tires, if the performance is difficult to dose. One knows that the Pirelli tires reacts sensitive to slipping and too much slippage. If it gets too hot, the tire is beyond repair

Its time How Mclaren and Mercedes adjusts their Engine Maps to Decrease the Above stated Problem
    I believe this is the Only Reason Mclaren Opts Option - Prime - Prime for Most of Times Where as Redbull, Lotus and Ferrari Opts Option - Option - Prime strategy

18. I think it´s Mercedes related, not engine related.