Brawn: 2012 car ‘good basis’ for next Mercedes

Your comment and what you quoted are kind of contradictory :confused:
Or do you mean that you disagree with the article?
No i mean the engine isn´t really a problem for everyone because of exhaust layouts, different downforce levels in relation to the other Merc teams etc etc.

Coanda exhaust, Softer suspension (Canada), Hamilton twice going one stop less then needed, Di Resta up in the top and running for a while in Bahrain, Hamilton having the best car in Hungary through the last corner throughout the race which is all about rear grip.

It´s still the best engine in the field. If you can´t get the engine to work as you want then you need to look at other aspects.

Basically, Mercedes have a hard time solving their tire issues. Mclaren, not so much.

No i mean the engine isn´t really a problem for everyone because of exhaust layouts, different downforce levels in relation to the other Merc teams etc etc.

Coanda exhaust, Softer suspension (Canada), Hamilton twice going one stop less then needed, Di Resta up in the top and running for a while in Bahrain, Hamilton having the best car in Hungary through the last corner throughout the race which is all about rear grip.

It´s still the best engine in the field. If you can´t get the engine to work as you want then you need to look at other aspects.
Yes, but what you quoted stated that the engine is to blame, only that the exhausts of McLaren and FI make the problem less severe because they slightly reduce power (which is, apparently, a good thing) AND produce downforce at the rear end.
So the point is that if McLaren and FI (and Mercedes too, of course) had a Renault engine, they might have slightly worse acceleration, but much less tyre wear.

The Bahrain example is also debatable. Yes, Paul Di Resta did well, but both McLaren and Mercedes struggled A LOT from tyre wear and Bahrain is a track that puts a lot of stress on the rears.

Yes, but what you quoted stated that the engine is to blame, only that the exhausts of McLaren and FI make the problem less severe because they slightly reduce power (which is, apparently, a good thing) AND produce downforce at the rear end.
So the point is that if McLaren and FI (and Mercedes too, of course) had a Renault engine, they might have slightly worse acceleration, but much less tyre wear.
More like the tires are to blame if anything. Same engine has been running since 2007.
If problems occur now it´s not engine problems, it´s tire problems.

This is solved by various things, like exhaust, engine mappings, etc.

Yea Mclaren and Mercedes struggles in Bahrain but that is because their cars work in a slightly higher temp window then Renault or RBR etc.

The simple fact that the three teams have solved the issue in different ways says it´s really not about the engine.

In short: You can never ever have too much power.
If you spin the tires you have other things that needs to be solved so that you don´t spin the tires.

More like the tires are to blame if anything. Same engine has been running since 2007.
If problems occur now it´s not engine problems, it´s tire problems.

This is solved by various things, like exhaust, engine mappings, etc.

Yea Mclaren and Mercedes struggles in Bahrain but that is because their cars work in a slightly higher temp window then Renault or RBR etc.

The simple fact that the three teams have solved the issue in different ways says it´s really not about the engine.
Okay, so essentially, you think that the engine is not a factor for tyre wear (or that the four different engines don't affect the tyres differently)?

Okay, so essentially, you think that the engine is not a factor for tyre wear (or that the four different engines don't affect the tyres differently)?
Not really no. Remember RBR started the whole engine map thing with less torque to save tires.

The engines apart from the Renault engine have been around since 2007 so if problems occurs now you cant really say "oh it must be the engine having too much power"
Or that the engine is the problem in the equation.

If you have issues puttin the power down then you look at everything, including engine maps and Mercedes is not alone in doing that.

Mercedes have the best engine, if you cant use all of it then you have issues with the car.

Engine has stayed the same, everything else have changed.
Engine is the problem?
There wasn't any irony or sarcasm in what I said. I merely underlined the part of your post that made me understand what you meant.

I still disagree with your stance (although I understand it now) because in my opinion, even if the engine is not a problem with Bridgestone tyres, it can still be a problem with (this year's) Pirelli tyres. However, since I do not have more than anecdotal evidence for that opinion, it's hard to prove it :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back