Boullier Out in McLaren Management Reshuffle

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Boullier leaves mclaren.jpg

McLaren Racing Director Eric Boullier has resigned from his position at McLaren amidst a difficult start to the season for the British racing team.

Boullier, in charge of the racing division of the Woking outfit for the past four years has left the team with immediate effect, triggering a managerial reshuffle of the senior team at the multiple World Championship winning outfit.

Having switched to Renault power following a problematical three year relationship with Honda, 2018 was expected to see a return to form for the once proud British outfit. Sadly the new Renault deal has done little to deliver solid results at McLaren, with operational deficiencies and a reportedly difficult car to drive, the team have finally seen fit to make some much needed changes at the top of the management structure, resulting in a disappointed Boullier resigning from his position with the squad. Filling the void left by the Frenchman comes Simon Roberts, COO of McLaren Racing, who will oversee production, engineering and logistics. Andrea Stella is appointed Performance Director, responsible for trackside operations and former Indy 500 winner Gil de Ferran takes up the new role of Sporting Director, tasked with maximising "the effectiveness of the team’s racing package".

"The performance of the MCL33 in 2018 has not met the expectations of anyone at McLaren, especially our loyal fans. This is not the fault of the hundreds of committed and hard-working men and women at McLaren" said McLaren CEO, Zak Brown.​

“The causes are systemic and structural, which require major change from within. With today’s announcement, we start to address those issues head on and take the first step on our road to recovery.

“I would like to take this opportunity on behalf of the entire team to thank Eric for his service and contribution to McLaren and wish him well in his future endeavours.”
The new, simplified management structure at McLaren takes place with immediate effect.

Check the Formula One Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for more news and discussion as it happens. Get yourself involved today and join in with the community!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you think the changes at McLaren are enough to lift the team back to the head of the field? Is it fair for Boullier to take the brunt of the blame for McLaren's troubles? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I think this was kinda needed, seeing some of the recent articles and of course not to mention the poor performance so far this season. There's a good video from sky sports speaking to Zak Brown and they really have shaken things up so hopefully we see some major improvements in 2019! :)

Obviously, I'm very much on the outside and have no idea what is going on behind closed doors there, but you have to admire an organization with the guts to make big shake ups when things aren't working.

Very alarming to hear that they are having aero issues - that really pops the "best chassis on the grid, just a terrible engine" bubble (though I've never personally put a lot of stock in it).

I'm neither a McLaren fanboy nor a hater, I am just of the belief that F1 is more fun when the traditional names are doing well.

I don't know if he was a good guy or not but after a disaster like this being fired is normal. I can only imagine the frustration of the people at the factory for what has been going on in the past few years. At least when they look up they need someone with charisma and a good resume.

Last edited:
Ron is a first class butthole, but they should have never gotten rid of him.
Ron Dennis proved that no one person is indispensable, especially in Motor racing.
Look at it this way, he and John Barnard took over MacLaren in 1980, Barnard departed for Ferrari (that didn't end well) but MacLaren remained very successful except for a few poor years.
Boullier never seemed to be the right 'fit' IMHO, not sure why but just a gut feeling.
Considering it is 38 years since Dennis began running the team it would be a waste of space bringing him back, aside from anything else he's older than me and I'm older than dirt.
And he is just too 'Corporate', no returning, he is way past his use by date.
Gil de Ferran would be good as the team manager, aside from being a former 'Racer' he's quite 'Human' and the race crew should be able to relate to him.

They should bring Ron back.

Can't help feeling there's a lot of vindication of Ron Dennis in what's happend since he left.

I thought to myself 'he must be laughing his arse off' then I remembered he's probably still a shareholder, so he won't be amused in the least.

This guy was really out of his depth. He didn’t exactly set the world on fire during his tenure at Lotus v2.1 (so confusing, but nice gold/black JPS tribute liveries!).

I remember that team mainly for not paying Kimi in 2013.

About time IMO. If this was Ferrari he'd have been sacked about 2 years ago lol Very interesting comments in Adrien Newey's book about Whitmarsh and the Matrix management system he put in place at McLaren... Was probably the start of the downfall IMO.

I thought to myself 'he must be laughing his arse off' then I remembered he's probably still a shareholder, so he won't be amused in the least.

Think he's probably laughing.. pretty sure they made him or he chose to get rid of all his shares when he left, such was the animosity when the split happened.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.