• Home of the RD Le Mans Series by Vesaro
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blown fuse?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Andrew Ford, Apr 26, 2013.

  1. Andrew Ford

    Andrew Ford

    Ok, so I turned my pc on this evening. the house fuse went and there was a spark went at the back of the psu (which leads into the cpu). the psu is from abroad (two pin plug) and was going thru an conversion adapator (to 3 pins). i flicked the house fuse and tried again...plugging the psu/adpator into a different socket. againt there was spark.

    my question is, if the psu went was pluged into a socket adaptor, will the fuse in the adaptor blow or will the fuse in the psu blow? also, what are the chances of the motherboard being fried?

    i think it must be a faulty psu as this model has had some issues with it.
  2. Jim Cole

    Jim Cole

    To start off, if you are seeing sparks when you plug in the PSU, then don't plug it in as there is obviously a short somewhere which has the potential of starting a fire. If the sparks are coming from the PSU then remove it and replace it, having someone look at it to find out about the problem would be more expensive than to replace.

    As to which would blow a fuse, it depends on which fuse is the weaker one. The weakest will always blow first.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Andrew Ford

    Andrew Ford

    just had a guy come and look at it - no fix , no fee and its 30 pounds plus parts to fix it. he thinks its the psu and hopefully no damage to motherboard. i could have it fixed as early as this evening or...if motherboard problem, it might take a few days. if psu it will be total of £70 which seems like small change compared to what i thought it might be:confused: