Black cockpit finish damage from fastners.

DrewRPh

Premium
Just looking to purchase my first cockpit. Build thread here.

In my research I am finding a great deal of the higher end product (Sim Lab, ASR, Trak Racer, etc) in black which I like, however I am finding reviews of brand-new Rigs where simple adjustments are tearing into the black finish.

1709484001264.png

The above is a GT Omega Prime I found in a review on line.

Is it over tighening? The fastners? The material? The finish? The lack of washers?

There may be a few areas where I want to exchange hardware and/or make more frequent adjustments and wondering if this is something I should be considering in brands.

I understand there are completely different types of quick release fasteners that work differently but just want to prevent the above and make my purchase decision.

Thanks.

• Deleted member 197115

Black profile is anodized and usually takes some serious beating before showing any signs of wear, what you are looking at is powder coated fasteners, and they are difficult to keep pristine when power torquing things together. Usually black marker is all it takes to hide worn out finish or in case of serious damage or OCD, some powder coat touch up spray, works just as well.

When you know exactly what you want and where to position the elements (HAHA) you can avoid most of the scratches.
Also, as written above these marks origin from an engineering fauxpas, the washers are missing. Here´s Simlabs fancy pants solution:

I would have liked a black rig, but I´m always tinkering with it and a black rig would look awefull by now.So I went with silver.

I've a simlab black p1X and you've REALLY got to tighten stuff against their brackets to leave any sort of mark. But yep, lack of washers. I've no marks on mine that I can see although I do have the profile side-mounts for my wheelbase.

If I was to be critical those bolts look slightly too small head-wise for where they are used...

Previously had a silver GT1 and it was also quite marked, but you could polish most out on that.

Personally, I'd not worry about it - most rigs need adjusting over time for new componentry or geometry and before you know it they are cable management hell way before this would bother you.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea