Binaural 3D audio/HRTF in Racer?

They are a bit mental :D

Would be interesting to record sounds for your car like that, just place the microphones on your ears while you drive :D

I think Racer also now supports stereo sounds for car samples, so using them on the interior views would be pretty cool!

Dave

A bad analogy would be to current 3d TV technology, a seperate image has to be seen be each eye. This is similar, it feed each ear a fairly different signal and your brain is tricked into decoding direction from it. Stereo speakers don't isolate the signal to each ear, you hear a mix of Left & right in each ear, which messes up the HRTF tricks.

Many, many years ago I had a racing game that had terrific sound. When driving up a canyon and another car was overtaking me I turned around to see where the car was beacause the sound came from behind me. All this in the days of DOS.

A bad analogy would be to current 3d TV technology, a seperate image has to be seen be each eye. This is similar, it feed each ear a fairly different signal and your brain is tricked into decoding direction from it. Stereo speakers don't isolate the signal to each ear, you hear a mix of Left & right in each ear, which messes up the HRTF tricks.

I see.

How would this sort of thing affect the commercial side of Racer?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.