Binaural 3D audio/HRTF in Racer?

They are a bit mental :D

Would be interesting to record sounds for your car like that, just place the microphones on your ears while you drive :D

I think Racer also now supports stereo sounds for car samples, so using them on the interior views would be pretty cool!

Dave

A bad analogy would be to current 3d TV technology, a seperate image has to be seen be each eye. This is similar, it feed each ear a fairly different signal and your brain is tricked into decoding direction from it. Stereo speakers don't isolate the signal to each ear, you hear a mix of Left & right in each ear, which messes up the HRTF tricks.

Many, many years ago I had a racing game that had terrific sound. When driving up a canyon and another car was overtaking me I turned around to see where the car was beacause the sound came from behind me. All this in the days of DOS.

A bad analogy would be to current 3d TV technology, a seperate image has to be seen be each eye. This is similar, it feed each ear a fairly different signal and your brain is tricked into decoding direction from it. Stereo speakers don't isolate the signal to each ear, you hear a mix of Left & right in each ear, which messes up the HRTF tricks.

I see.

How would this sort of thing affect the commercial side of Racer?

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%