• "Slow and steady finishes the race. Fast and steady wins the race." - Sean Rogers.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binaural 3D audio/HRTF in Racer?

Discussion in 'Racer' started by gtpdzbiz, Nov 22, 2010.

1. gtpdzbiz

gtpdzbiz

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy

Ratings:
    +460
    They are a bit mental :D

Would be interesting to record sounds for your car like that, just place the microphones on your ears while you drive :D

I think Racer also now supports stereo sounds for car samples, so using them on the interior views would be pretty cool!

Dave

3. FiftyOrange

FiftyOrange

Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't they work anywhere near as well with speakers? I've got a Dolby 7.1 system which I thought was pretty good at the spatial stuff.

4. DavidI

DavidI

Ratings:
    +54
    A bad analogy would be to current 3d TV technology, a seperate image has to be seen be each eye. This is similar, it feed each ear a fairly different signal and your brain is tricked into decoding direction from it. Stereo speakers don't isolate the signal to each ear, you hear a mix of Left & right in each ear, which messes up the HRTF tricks.

5. boomer541

boomer541

Ratings:
    +163
    Many, many years ago I had a racing game that had terrific sound. When driving up a canyon and another car was overtaking me I turned around to see where the car was beacause the sound came from behind me. All this in the days of DOS.

6. KS95

KS95
    RACER Moderator

Ratings:
    +196
    Some of the old DOS games were seriously impressive lol.

7. FiftyOrange

FiftyOrange

Ratings:
    +0
    I see.

How would this sort of thing affect the commercial side of Racer?