1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Binaural 3D audio/HRTF in Racer?

Discussion in 'Racer' started by gtpdzbiz, Nov 22, 2010.

1. They are a bit mental :D

Would be interesting to record sounds for your car like that, just place the microphones on your ears while you drive :D

I think Racer also now supports stereo sounds for car samples, so using them on the interior views would be pretty cool!

Dave

2. Why don't they work anywhere near as well with speakers? I've got a Dolby 7.1 system which I thought was pretty good at the spatial stuff.

3. A bad analogy would be to current 3d TV technology, a seperate image has to be seen be each eye. This is similar, it feed each ear a fairly different signal and your brain is tricked into decoding direction from it. Stereo speakers don't isolate the signal to each ear, you hear a mix of Left & right in each ear, which messes up the HRTF tricks.

4. Many, many years ago I had a racing game that had terrific sound. When driving up a canyon and another car was overtaking me I turned around to see where the car was beacause the sound came from behind me. All this in the days of DOS.

5. KS95

KS95
    RACER Moderator

Some of the old DOS games were seriously impressive lol.

6. I see.

How would this sort of thing affect the commercial side of Racer?