Best 80/20 Suppliers in USA

I would like to explore designing and building an 80/20 rig. I am location in the USA near Detroit Michigan.

I m looking for the following recommendations:
  • Good suppliers in the USA (maybe near Detroit)
  • Best design program (I know SketchUp however I assume this is not the best option)
  • Good designs to download to copy/modify for my needs.
Thank you.

Hello,
There is a German 3d model software for alloy profiles. It's for their own system, but it should be nearly the same as other profile systems.

A similar online tool from a company called IGUS. Basically the mother of alloy profiles and the ones that most other companies copy.

This is just programs, me, living in Europe don't know available suppliers in USA though.
Hope this helps nonetheless.

Cheers Dan

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello,
There is a German 3d model software for alloy profiles. It's for their own system, but it should be nearly the same as other profile systems.

A similar online tool from a company called IGUS. Basically the mother of alloy profiles and the ones that most other companies copy.

This is just programs, me, living in Europe don't know available suppliers in USA though.
Hope this helps nonetheless.

Cheers Dan
Thanks Dan. I installed the Maytec program and there is a Maytec (USA) so that works great. I'm dangerous now.

Upvote 0
I’ve used 8020.net few times. Service is good. Prices are pretty high, especially on hardware. Quality is good. They have a nice printed catalog if you’re into those.

Doubt you could save much if anything vs SimLabs, even shipped to US. You can get good T-nuts and M8 bolts on Amazon for less.

SimLab 40 series is equivalent to Lite style on 8020.net. That’s the middle strength/weight.

They’re located in Indiana I think. I’ve heavily modified my GT1-Evo with parts from 8020.net.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I built my original 80/20 rig while I lived in the Detroit area and shipping was quick and not terrible cost wise to a commercial address except for longer lengths of profile. The 80/20 plant is located in Indiana; I am not sure if factory pickup is available--could be a road trip opportunity . . .

Shortly after I requested CAD files from the 8020.net (name, ZIP, email, and phone number required) I received aeveral messages and calls from local Kansas City 80/20 distributors. Several local suppliers promised "competitive" pricing compared to the now defunct official "80/20 Garage Sale," but I am sure those dealers would like to provide you with more material than that required for a sim chassis and perhaps a monitor stand.

I have used some Tnutz 5/16-18 hardware but feel the genuine 80/20 t-nuts and socket button head flanged bolts are superior in fit (smoother threads) and finish (more durable) though pricey. I also have some M8 socket head bolts for add-on TracRacer metric profiles and do not enjoy using washers as spacers for overly long bolts which bottom out in the profile slots.

Please let us know what you end up buying.

Upvote 0
I considered going that route but I’m very glad I didn’t. Ultimately I wanted to get to racing, not spend months on a design project. I don’t think you’ll save much money over the P1X and it’s also unlikely that you’ll come up with a better design. They use custom machined brackets for several key connections . . . There’s probably a good reason for that. If you’re just in it for the engineering challenge, that’s a different story. One thing I’ll say is to make sure you get t-nuts that can be inserted mid-rail. The spring-ball ones that SimLabs provides are significantly better than some of the other options. Well worth the extra cost IMO. I’ve used 8020.net for some parts and accessories and I’ve been happy with the quality and shipping speed.

Incidentally, I’m near detroit too. Seems like there’s a bunch of us in here . . .

Upvote 0
one more thing . . . I’ve used sketchup and fusion 360 for personal projects. Most recently I used Shapr3D on my iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil, and I liked that experience the best out of all of them. The pencil interface is very streamlined and intuitive and it’s not very expensive. I’m very amateur when it comes to CAD though so my opinion may not count for much there.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I considered going that route but I’m very glad I didn’t. Ultimately I wanted to get to racing, not spend months on a design project. I don’t think you’ll save much money over the P1X and it’s also unlikely that you’ll come up with a better design. They use custom machined brackets for several key connections . . . There’s probably a good reason for that. If you’re just in it for the engineering challenge, that’s a different story. One thing I’ll say is to make sure you get t-nuts that can be inserted mid-rail. The spring-ball ones that SimLabs provides are significantly better than some of the other options. Well worth the extra cost IMO. I’ve used 8020.net for some parts and accessories and I’ve been happy with the quality and shipping speed.

Incidentally, I’m near detroit too. Seems like there’s a bunch of us in here . . .
Big part of sim-lab rigs appeal are custom fabricated brackets that you won't get from off-shelf 8020 store.

Upvote 0

I am definitely not interested in a custom design rig to save money or get up and going faster. I am up and racing on a nice rig already. My motivation is the enjoyment of the engineering challenge and the thought of customizing to my exact environment and wants. If there is a custom part needed, I could always order from Sim-Lab or another vendor.

Upvote 0
I am definitely not interested in a custom design rig to save money or get up and going faster. I am up and racing on a nice rig already. My motivation is the enjoyment of the engineering challenge and the thought of customizing to my exact environment and wants. If there is a custom part needed, I could always order from Sim-Lab or another vendor.
Makes sense. It would definitely be a fun challenge. If you want to take a look at my P1X let me know.

Upvote 0
As much as I have enjoyed copying others' profile rig designs and adding my own touches in scratch building, it is difficult to compete on price with vendors who buy profile and fasteners in bulk. My first 15-series rig which used all 1515-LS for most components with 1545-S for the steering wheel supports cost over $300 including connectors and fasteners.

Another RD authorized vendor to consider:

Upvote 0
The US is not the best place to be if your doing a profile rig, AND want metric materials which I did. 80/20.net is the main supplier for the metric type here in the US and they are expensive, on both parts and shipping compared to Europe. I have ordered bits and pieces from them through Amazon when I needed a quick parts, but find it's cheap to buy in bulk and ship from Sim-lab from Europe which is just crazy.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back