WIP Bay Route #9

Im still using zmod 1. I'm not sure if the newer ones support set lighting

Is it not possible to set the bloom values of a specific texture?

Nope.

Not even sure how the bloom map is rendered to start with. Looks like it's an internal process somehow, like the envmaps and so on.

How it's processed is clearly obvious though.

But my 2p, moving bloom into a post-effect that uses the full screen buffer as a reference is the way to go in my view, then effects made can be done properly on the HDR values... I have this feeling the current bloom is LDR and just processed arbitrarily to look 'ok' for day time use... thus it's not ideal for night use.

You can change lots of values to tweak it, but I'd prefer to just do it in the fs_filter effect really, just like motion blur, DOF, tone-mapping etc etc... they are all camera property effects so belong in that process :D

Dave

Yes.

I think there is more potential in the shader Stereo provided to do the effect better, so using small planes at each light is probably a better way to go...

Might be some effort to create those later, I'm not really a Zmodeller guru. In theory if you are really stuck I can do the geometry work in Max for you and send a 3DS file back for you to import...

I just instance stuff in Max, and in my example the lamps were all just copies of one instance with a multi-sub. So it exports as 1 dof with 3 geob/shaders in it... select all, export to ASE, etc etc... (avoiding Some1 dof tool here because it won't export a selection as one DOF in special cases where you want that to happen)

All good, keep up the good work :D

Dave

Yeah, just put a small plane on the lit face of each light, sort of like this (quick mockup in ZModeler)
JlI6J.png

Mapped the same as the x trees, light circle in the middle of it with a separate material.

Excellent, Ill use that model from now on.

Looking on some Videos and other Games. The Slip road lights are White, compared to the highway lights which are Amber/Yellow/Orange. Is it worth using a seperate material for the Sliproad lights? or wont it work?

If you use a separate material, then yeah, you can have whatever colour. They're just showing up white because of Racer's HDR on very bright lights just goes white unless they're a pure colour (eg. solid red). To get it to yellow it needs a more exaggerated texture than I was using, like follows:

D1qwp.jpg

(and this still seems to fade to white at a distance... probably because of atmospheric fog)

Needs special case shader for the 'fog' falloff from a light. Ie orange light would tend to orange in scattering, but scattering assumes sky fading and ignores the fact these elements are emissive?!

Anything emissive in fact may be rendering a bit wrong. Hmm. Best as special case in this case IMO!

Looks good.

Still think a proper fast add blend is the way to go to get nice effects. Simply making the light a fat blob for bloom to take over works but isn't ideal?!
If your doing a nice facing billboard shader may as well get the texture doing as much work as possible for its money, as it were.

I still think getting coords of the out of range pixels from the tone mapped buffer, using that selection and blurring the non tone mapped buffer, then tone mapping that same ev as before then adding to original tone mapped buffer is the way to go... Not blooming we have now.

You can blur any way you want then, with effects etc...

Dave

with the way the new lamps are made. It could be possible in the future, to project light from these new planes Ive added? since they are vertical facing from the center of the lamp

Anything emissive in fact may be rendering a bit wrong. Hmm. Best as special case in this case IMO!

Looks good.

Still think a proper fast add blend is the way to go to get nice effects. Simply making the light a fat blob for bloom to take over works but isn't ideal?!
If your doing a nice facing billboard shader may as well get the texture doing as much work as possible for its money, as it were.
Dave
Yeah, got me wondering if the emissive term's being added at the right time - might be a tricky effect to isolate though.

As far as I'm concerned, the texture and shader's just proof of concept right now - anything that can be changed should be changed, to see what works best. As it stands it's an improvement on the x-tree version, but it's not specifically tweaked to get accuracy.

I made one minor mistake in describing this; you should have cull=none at all times and rely on another mechanism to hide it when it's facing away (eg. dotted normals) Otherwise rotating the camera does funky stuff.

Scrap that! having some issues. Mainly with this fence texture.

177536_10151177843123015_25270840_o.jpg

I don't understand why the fences are doing this, It does it every 100ft or so! frustrating.

Shader i'm using
Code:
}
shader_fence_1
{
  cull=none
  layer0
  {
    map=fence_1.tga
    alphafunc=gequal 128
    wrap_s=clamp_to_edge
    mipmap=0
  }

Input?

'clamp to edge' blocks UV maps outside the (0,1) texture area - as far as I know, it starts repeating the edge pixels. Maybe try changing that to wrap_t? Or remove it and see how it looks that way.

It's used on the Carlswood treelines because they're transparent alpha at the top and solid at the bottom, which without the clamp, would give a blurry line along the top edge when it's mipmapped.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back