Bad stuttering of the world (not the cockpit)

Dirk Steffen

Porsche Factory Jackass™
Premium
I have a very strange problem with a fresh Raceroom installation I never had before.

I have a fairly beefy computer spec wise and can run any other racing sim with graphics settings pretty much maxed out (Raceroom included normally).

With Raceroom I get with maxed out settings somewhere around 120-140 FPS when racing with triple screens @ 1080.

The problem:
Usually everything runs smooth without issues but a few laps into the session all of a sudden the entire rendered world (everything but the cockpit and HUD) will stutter like crazy.
It looks like the world is shaking and only rendered at about 3-10 FPS while still the same stable 120-140FPS are reported on the screen.

One anomaly I have seen is that when the stuttering happens the GPU is still properly used (full load) but all CPU cores are saturated at only around 2-5 %
At the same time all other racing sims I am using run perfectly smooth without any issues (mostly AC and ACC).

attempts at fixing it thus far:
- Steam file integrity check
- used several permutations of different v-sync options (in game on/off, NVIDIA different v-sync modes, etc)
- permutations of motion blur (people with certain stuttering issues have reported setting motion blur a certain way fixed their stuttering issues - I run normally all racing sims with motion blur OFF)
- deactivated replays (I thought perhaps some virtual file size when collecting replay data produces the issue)
- elevated process priority in task manager

All of these attempted fixes were to no avail :-(
I am at an end with my medicine here. Does anyone who reads this finds the issue familiar and knows how to fix it?
I am lined up for a first club race with Raceroom tomorrow and I fear not having a chance to race :-(

Isn't the 32 bit version limited to only 4 gigs of RAM total? Is it possible you are running low on vram when running the 32 bit version? I don't know if there is a way to earmark a specific allocation of system vs. video memory...
I really have no idea honestly.
On a system like mine there should be no such issue to be honest :-(

i had this issue and it turned out to be improper controller configuration.
Could you elaborate on this please? What did you do to fix it?
Did switching to the 32bit exe have the same effect as with my configuration (stuttering completely disappears but performance is drastically reduced compared to the 64bit exe)?

I'm not sure if it was exactly the same issue, but i had terrible stuttering both in and out of VR, i just started over with my config and it went away. when there's a device that isn't configured properly it can act bizarrely. i have wheel, pedals and a button box all through usb and i don't remember which was causing the issue. maybe start from scratch on your controls config. same issue no matter the exe i used.

I was able to get the 64 bit mode to work well by Setting the Video/Motion Blur to Complex, and the Motion Blur Quality to High. No stutters in Practice, Qualify, or Race with 10 cars on track.
I turn motion blur off completely in any game that has it, because it's a horrible, unrealistic effect.

I never had stuttering issues with R3E on a GTX 1060, with everything set to max (blur aside) and 30 cars on the grid. That same PC now runs my streams, again at max settings and with no stuttering. No idea why you have issues with a 1070.

What is actually quite weird is that I don't even see the Motion Blur effects at all, maybe because I have such low level settings, it just doesn't show up, and that's fine with me. I just don't want the micro-stuttering.
Can you share youre settings?

I got an G2 with 3080
And AMD3600, 32Gb

I seem to have stutters/jitters aswell, getting more anoying with more cars or track side views. It seems CPU related as the GPU isnt sweating.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do not have a performance issue - for the time when Raceroom runs it runs easily at 120 - 140 FPS nutter smooth with everything cranked up to the gills.

Even when this heavy stuttering happens frames are still reported in the same high range.
It is not the FPS dropping and hence Raceroom struggling and stuttering but it is a strange stuttering I have never seen in any other racing sim where the world is strangely moving and skipping rendering frames.

It is a very strange sensation - it looks almost like a large hand takes your car while you are driving and SHAKES the entire car.
I have no such issues with any other racing sim - for example do I have ZERO performance issues with Assetto Corsa Competizione which I run on a mix of Epic (highest) and High (second highest) graphics settings and it runs butter smooth at perfect 60 FPS (adaptive v-sync) and ACC is notorious for its graphics power hunger.

This makes no sense and it seems just like another one of those issue Raceroom seems to have (over the years every time I reinstalled Raceroom always SOMETHING went awry and I never was able to enjoy it).

It looks so far that I have to skip tomorrows race as I also seem to have connection issues with Raceroom and the RaceDepartment servers (which I never have with Assetto Corsa).
frame passing

Anyone ever come up with anymore solutions to this problem?
I was playing around with graphics settings the other day, and now i have this same problem... Can't get it working correctly now....
I don't have the solution......but, I do have the same problem ! Since the most recent update RRE is unusable because of the "shaky scenery" (and Assetto Corsa Competizione won't run at all). Have tried multiple rectifications to no avail ! (PS5 starting to look good)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.