1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Automobilista Skinning Tutorial

Discussion in 'Automobilista' started by Steve Bird, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Steve Bird

Steve Bird
    Racing Since 1978 Premium Member

Anybody know of a concise skinning tutorial so I can look at sorting out some 2016 F1 skins?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Empty Box just posted one today, actually:

• Like Like x 5
  3. Steve Bird

Steve Bird
    Racing Since 1978 Premium Member

Nice work mate, thanks.

4. jlnprssnr

jlnprssnr
    Premium Member

I'm using Gimp (Tried Paint.NET first, but no support for layer groups is a no-go) and I don't really get how to make a proper alpha layer so my car isn't completely shiny. Does anyone have a tutorial on that?

Also what layers should I set to visible when merging the layers down? Everything except the wireframe? Because the "Base" layer from the Vee template seems to make my car silver instead of the color from the paint layer

Thanks in advance!

5. Nick Milton

Nick Milton
    Captain Slow Premium Member

ive edited the templates, in photoshop, and saved to .psd files,. do i need to flatten layers and save? and where do i add files for AMS

6. quicksilver384

quicksilver384
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #85 Staff Premium Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rob Fitness

Rob Fitness
    Premium Member

you need to save them as a DXT5 .DDS file with alpha layer. you will need the PS plugin.

you will need to make a new folder in the specific vehicles folder and make a .VEH file for your new skin. I just copy another cars .VEH file and edit it to suit the new skins filename and details.

if you live on the Gold Coast you could pop over and id show you what to do lol.

if you watch skinning tutorials for rfactor on youtube, its pretty much the same for skinning AMS

8. Nick Milton

Nick Milton
    Captain Slow Premium Member

thanks rob, I did finally get it, got it saved and it comes up in game, so i think im there, very basic work though,.
    windscreen number always show different to the edit? thats weird, side windows are ok.

• Like Like x 1