Automobilista and Rift VR: How To

Just a heads-up for Rift owners: although native VR is not planned for this incarnation of AMS, it is possible to do it. I tried it and it works fine. However, that requires two extra pieces of software: Vorpex and OpenTrack. A full tutorial can be found here. Unfortunately, it is in Portuguese, but it is quite detailed and I believe it can be followed even if one does not understand the language.

How did you go? Do you have a vr set to try it with?
No, the guy who posted the video is my friend and I tried AMS in his equipment. It worked quite well - in fact, I think better than AC, because AMS is light on resources and gives a much better frame rate. I don't know much about the technical side of it, but Ricardo - that's his name - can answer you in English if necessary.

I don't have any devices but I know many people have been asking for it. I hope Ricardo can put up a few more videos with the split screen so I can cross my eyes and get the effect on my phone.
Thanks for posting the information. I'll put it on the reiza forums and see if anyone is interested.

I hope Ricardo can put up a few more videos with the split screen so I can cross my eyes and get the effect on my phone.
If what you mean by "get the effect on my phone" is that you are using your cellphone as a stereoscopic device (with Google Cardboard or something like it), that's precisely how Ricardo started his channel. Only recently he got his Oculus. Before that, you will find there dozens of tutorials on how to play practically any game - including AMS - in 3D with full head movement using a Google Cardboard. That includes split-screen gameplay, so you can just load that into your phone and watch it in 3D.

Wow! This would be so cool and awesome! Pleas how does it work? I drive with rift in RF2 and its so much better to anticipate curves and to get a feeling of the track itself. After a short while the resolution does not bother anymore. The best thing since sliced bread. And AMS in VR would be heaven. Make it happen please!

There are several way to get AMS in VR!
1. Via Vorpx. You need to buy it as there are no trial or demo version.
Works pretty well . Some people have issues with shadows. I do not and have shadows and all otehr graphics settings on Max.
Only issue I got and that is the same for all gmotor 2.x games are the instrument panel /motec text are only visible in the dominant eye in Geometric 3D.
In zbuffer mode all is good but clearly G3D produce better 3D.
Can't say if VorpX is worth the price for you? But I think it is fine but maybe too expensive if only used for one program.
For best results use very high resolutions as AA have little effect on how the graphics will look in VorpX VR.
Another way is using DgVoodoo dx9 to dx11 As VorpX can use that too. But it is more complex and needs a longer instruction.

2. Reshade and 3D superdepth 3D are another way. You will need a Virtual Desktop app like BigScreen beta or Virtual Desktop. The late is not free are developed very slowly but got way better performance .
This is not real VR but you can curve the screen very close and make the screen large.
You can lock the screen in Virtual Desktop and use Opentrack to track head movements.
This is Zbuffer 3D! But SuperDepth 3D is making great 3D and looks as great as VorpX G3D.

3 TridefVR. Yes it is still available!
That is not real VR ether but like Virtual Desktop you can curve the screen and put is very close.
I have not tried AMS but Gtr2 and GTL works great. Great 3D and faster than VorpX but slower than SuperDepth 3D/ Reshade.

If you need more info / help just ask or PM me.
Not home with my actual setup before Thursday.
None of the above solution are giving prefect VR but it works and good fun.
If the favorite cars and tracks are in the RF2 DLC then that is the better way to enjoy AMS in VR .

I'm using a combination of 1 and 2: VorpX to get the image into the Rift as a big curved 3D cinema screen. Works pretty well, but I do have problems with the shadows: they are rendered in one eye only (same as the instrument panel text), so I race without. @Bjarne Hansen would you mind sharing your VorpX profile and settings?

Works pretty well . Some people have issues with shadows. I do not and have shadows and all otehr graphics settings on Max.
Only issue I got and that is the same for all gmotor 2.x games are the instrument panel /motec text are only visible in the dominant eye in Geometric 3D.
Can't say if VorpX is worth the price for you? But I think it is fine but maybe too expensive if only used for one program.
For best results use very high resolutions as AA have little effect on how the graphics will look in VorpX VR.
Another way is using DgVoodoo dx9 to dx11 As VorpX can use that too. But it is more complex and needs a longer instruction.

2. Reshade and 3D superdepth 3D are another way. You will need a Virtual Desktop app like BigScreen beta or Virtual Desktop. The late is not free are developed very slowly but got way better performance .
This is not real VR but you can curve the screen very close and make the screen large.
You can lock the screen in Virtual Desktop and use Opentrack to track head movements.
This is Zbuffer 3D! But SuperDepth 3D is making great 3D and looks as great as VorpX G3D.

That is not real VR ether but like Virtual Desktop you can curve the screen and put is very close.
I have not tried AMS but Gtr2 and GTL works great. Great 3D and faster than VorpX but slower than SuperDepth 3D/ Reshade.

If the favorite cars and tracks are in the RF2 DLC then that is the better way to enjoy AMS in VR .
So AMS CAN run in VR?
Is this 'good' VR? As good as PC2, Assetto Etc?
If it is I will make some investments.
I can't afford the high end gear needed to run PC2 (and probably AMS2) in VR, but would be more than happy to get AMS running in VR instead.
Any clear reviews or feedback from people would be great.
Thanks

So AMS CAN run in VR?
Is this 'good' VR? As good as PC2, Assetto Etc?
If it is I will make some investments.
I can't afford the high end gear needed to run PC2 (and probably AMS2) in VR, but would be more than happy to get AMS running in VR instead.
Any clear reviews or feedback from people would be great.
Thanks
You do need to have some Cpu/ Gpu power to run AMS in a VR headset.
If you can't get +180 fps in 1920 x 1080 it will be hard to get a good experience with AMS in VR.
I would not say it is as good VR as PC2 or AC.! VorpX is a universal app that tries to do all games in VR so lack some optimizing in particular games.
Takes a good deal of fiddling to get a good result on your setup but I find I also need to do that on the VR titles.
Will send you some links when home Thursday-Friday.
@Insert Coin
I use one of the cloud profiles but uses immersive mode and have no shadow issues?
Got a Nvidia RTX 2070 GPU.
Not sure why some got shadow issues and others not? But Instrument text is really annoying so prefer using Zbuffer.

You do need to have some Cpu/ Gpu power to run AMS in a VR headset.
I use one of the cloud profiles but uses immersive mode and have no shadow issues?
Got a Nvidia RTX 2070 GPU.
The system I was considering buying has an RTX 2070.
When you say 'not as good', do you mean it's harder to set up?
Or do you mean even with a good set up, then end results is not as good as PC2 etc.?
Thanks for the reply!

The system I was considering buying has an RTX 2070.
When you say 'not as good', do you mean it's harder to set up?
Or do you mean even with a good set up, then end results is not as good as PC2 etc.?
Thanks for the reply!
More fiddling and you need to start everything in the right order and stop Vorpx and opentrack down when using monitor which you will use to change car setup's
And that means also changing resolution between VR and monitor use.
Also bear in mind that some car/ track combinations are heave while other are very light on the gpu.
My favorite car is the FVee and using mostly the Brazilian tracks believe that is pretty light load compared to other combinations. But with a RTX 2070 you shouldn't have any limitations.
With a RTX 2070 you can run all the race sim;s in VR except ACC which I doubt any GPU can run with a good experience.

More fiddling and you need to start everything in the right order and stop Vorpx and opentrack down when using monitor which you will use to change car setup's
And that means also changing resolution between VR and monitor use.
Also bear in mind that some car/ track combinations are heave while other are very light on the gpu.
My favorite car is the FVee and using mostly the Brazilian tracks believe that is pretty light load compared to other combinations. But with a RTX 2070 you shouldn't have any limitations.
With a RTX 2070 you can run all the race sim;s in VR except ACC which I doubt any GPU can run with a good experience.
I See, thanks. So it does take a bit of fiddling, BUT once the VR is running in AMS, it runs as well as any other VR experience?
It might still be worth all the fiddling then!
I heard Project Cars 2 is pretty heavy on resources, but that may depend on what VR set you use. For some reason it's not good with the Valve Index, but I think people have had better frame rates and stability when using the Rift S.
Either way, if AMS can run well in VR, it has to be a great way to get better framerates with simpler and maybe even clearer graphics (simplicity = clarity!) & still amazing physics!

thanks for your post barney ,i can now play ams using voodoo ,have not played ams for a year:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back