Tracks Australian LIDAR data for Aussie tracks

There are very few scratch-made LIDAR-based versions of Australian race circuits from the AC community – despite how many of these tracks are unique, awesome to drive, and of historical significance. Any tracks modders looking for a new project and hoping to make a meaningful contribution to the sim racing community, I would suggest considering making some high quality versions of Australian tracks!

In a past post, I explained how there are no up-to-snuff versions of the Surfers Paradise street circuit, yet two years worth of LIDAR data are available:

But I did some research, and below are all the tracks in Australia that currently have LIDAR available for them as of summer 2022. One small note - the entirety of New South Wales has point cloud LIDAR data available :inlove:

Some of these tracks of course already have ripped versions from other games, but there really should be a "open" community-made version of these tracks so that it could freely be shared for AC and potentially be ported (if permission is granted) to other games in the future.
  • Adelaide International Raceway
  • Adelaide Street Circuit
  • Calder Park
  • Canberra Street Circuit
  • Homebush Street Circuit
  • Lakeside International
  • Mount Panorama (yes, really!)
  • Newcastle Street Circuit
  • Queensland Raceway
  • Surfers Paradise Street Circuit
  • Sydney Motorsport Park (a.k.a. Eastern Creek)
  • Symmons Plains Raceway
  • Townsville Streets
  • Also Amaroo Park (where the track used to be, anyway)
Don't forget that there are also lower-res LIDAR-based versions of mid-2000s Eastern Creek and Oran Park available – back when LIDAR modding was new in the days of Bob's Track Builder. With a poly, track mesh, and texture upgrade with permission, these would be fantastic to have in AC as well.

Anyway, to access the LIDAR data, go to the link below, click Agree, find the circuit, click Search, draw a box around the area for which you want data, select the data you want under "Points Clouds", enter an industry (e.g. "Entertainment") and your email, and the data will be sent to you in a few minutes. It's an impressive service. :)

Really hoping this might stimulate more scratch-made versions of some of the fantastic, but less known, circuits in Australia. As well as famous, iconic tracks like Bathurst and Adelaide which somehow still don't have super-high-quality community-made versions.

NOTE: If you find this further in the future, there should be more data available for more circuits, as Australian data availability has been improving rapidly. Here's hoping that other hidden gems like Hidden Valley, Barbagallo, The Bend, and Phillip Island have data come available in the future :)

Last edited:
SMP is due out soon, by @The-IC and the accuracy + level of detail is insane :)
Ooh! Looking forward to it :inlove:

Issue is the majority of lidar track builders... all 5-6 of us are either in North America or Europe, and like to model tracks closer, more significant to us....
Of course! That makes lots of sense. And please, I'd only want you or anyone else to do what you're passionate about or interested in :)

But great to have data available!
Exactly, and that's why I wanted to share - just in case anyone out there didn't know about it.

I am so tempted to create Albert Park, I'm just so buried into my current projects.

But the temptation to start another one is so strong. :roflmao:
So I just checked on ELVIS, and there's no point cloud data available for Albert Park – hence why it wasn't on my list above. For a second I thought I'd messed up and left it out, but no, sadly. Hopefully that changes soon.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back