Austin Formula One Grand Prix

The draft layout for the upcoming F1 track in Austin, Texas has been revealed.

It would appear that Tavo Hellmund was right about the circuit paying tribute to some of the world's best ractracks. Looking at the layout, which runs anti-clockwise, one can see corners resembling the Becketts complex at Silverstone and Turn 8 at Istanbul. Hellmund says the cars will reach 200mph on the back straight, while the total elevation change is 133 feet (~40m).

The track will be designed by Hermann Tilke's company, as has been the case with all new F1 track designs or modifications since 1997 (with the exception of the Arena Section at Silverstone, which was designed by track-designing firm Populous). Construction is planned to begin in December and the track is set to host the Formula One United States Grand Prix in 2012.

http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/dynamic/00530/20057573_622158_530233c.jpg austincircuit.jpg

Yes Tim, it seems it will be an anti-clockwise track :)

Not only for F1, I think it will be good for USA to have modern road track at the same level of their ovals, most of USA road courses are in the 80's in terms of facilities and accommodations.

Yeah, it looks weird but it looks good for the cars. A race should end up being a race.
So, I ask myself if I could find happiness driving different classes of Race/Evo cars on it....
and I say yes, but I's still be at the back of the pack.

Why does that section with the hairpin thats between two fast straights remind me of another old F1 track, can't think of what one it is though.

But this looks like a LOVELY track, that little winding zig-zaglike section after the first 2 corners may be my fav bit of the track, will definitly need some skill and courage to go through there at speed, and looking at it, it will vital for overtaking into the hairpin before the back straight. 5/5 star track, looks to be a good replacement for Indianapolis.

loooking fine, but where to overtake? the long straights open with a sharp turn, which means the car trailing will take some time before it can gather speed which in turn means there will be a gap between racers which in turn means slipstream will be smallish. Still, the flowing section on the right should make for some nice close racing.

I disagree Eckhart, I see 3 or 4 places to overtake, but then again I have eyes like Kobayashi when it comes to overtaking :D

The only disadvantage is that if that corner before the long straight is like the bridge at Valencia Street, there will not be enough time to slipstream and pass as there is a large gap coming out of a slower corner

Looks great though, and good to see F1 back in the US soon.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.