ASUS Bezel free Kit.. What kind of wizardry is this?

Just got the kit, it's no gimmick. It's awesome, worth the price. Gave my triples a new life, note: it's for 27" and smaller. No slack for 32" monitors.
IMG_20200123_200704.jpg

Hey Andre, I kinda disagree. If you set bezel compensation up correctly and you drive by a pole on the side of the track, the pole disappears for a while between the monitors, but appears in the next monitor at the right time. Its annoying that it disappears, but at least it doesn't bend the physics behind it.

With these lenses you would not setup any bezel compensation, but the darn pole speeds up when it goes from one monitor to the next. That is confusing as can be. Your apex goes wobbly and trippy..

Bezels sure suck, but are physically a lot more correct (and thus less confusing) than these lenses.

Upvote 0
It looks impressive certainly on a static image but I do wonder what the distortion is like in motion. If you ever upload a video or picture of it in sim I'd be interested to see it - especially if you can capture the moment a post / apex crosses the bezel area. I spend so much time setting up triples with the correct bezel compensation and FOV in each sim because I want it to look right that I'm concerned the effect would reduce the immersion for me.

With these lenses you would not setup any bezel compensation, but the darn pole speeds up when it goes from one monitor to the next. That is confusing as can be. Your apex goes wobbly and trippy..
Bezels sure suck, but are physically a lot more correct (and thus less confusing) than these lenses.

This is exactly what worries me. I'd definitely have to see it in motion before I make a final decision on whether it would work for me.

Alex

Upvote 0
Pretty neat. Assuming it is using some sort of lenticular/fresnel lens to achieve this. Looks better than I thought it would. Pretty pricey tho

Upvote 0
It sure has captured my interest, but I can wait this one out. I'm not sure where the 110° is determined, but most rigs are within a range of around 50-60° from what I've observed online. I hope the future might bring more versions calibrated at additional angles, but that might be too technical for the general market however. At least for such a big brand name like ASUS.

Upvote 0
It sure has captured my interest, but I can wait this one out. I'm not sure where the 110° is determined, but most rigs are within a range of around 50-60°

I believe they are measuring the other angle so the kit is viable for 120 to 130 degrees which equates to 50 - 60 degrees :)

I run at 40 degrees because any more and my desk stand is at risk of falling over with the weight of the monitors....

Upvote 0
It sure has captured my interest, but I can wait this one out. I'm not sure where the 110° is determined, but most rigs are within a range of around 50-60° from what I've observed online. I hope the future might bring more versions calibrated at additional angles, but that might be too technical for the general market however. At least for such a big brand name like ASUS.
180-110=70.
You are thinking on the "other side" of the angle

Upvote 0
Hmm, yeah. Just outside of what might be considered within a normal range of angles for the average build. That is unfortunate. Hopefully between innovations on our own part and further development that might take place for the bezel, it will become a perfectly viable solution for triples.

Upvote 0
I've been using the "poor man's" version for years now and it works very good. Everyone that has driven my rig agrees that it's better than having the bezels breaking up the image. Mine just uses thin plastic strips with Chrome mylar applied, and double-sided taped to the edge of the bezels. It's true that you can notice the distortion in the image (reflected) but, it can also be pretty seamless at times so I see it as being more beneficial than a distraction.
TriReflect.jpg

Upvote 0
I've been using the "poor man's" version for years now and it works very good. Everyone that has driven my rig agrees that it's better than having the bezels breaking up the image. Mine just uses thin plastic strips with Chrome mylar applied, and double-sided taped to the edge of the bezels. It's true that you can notice the distortion in the image (reflected) but, it can also be pretty seamless at times so I see it as being more beneficial than a distraction.
View attachment 346918
Looks amazing. Can you please explain in a little more detail what kind of clear plastic you used?

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea