Resource icon

Misc Assetto4Seasons 4.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
fabrizio piedepesante submitted a new resource:

Assetto4Seasons - Assetto Four Seasons, a weather engine

Hello everyone. Here it comes a project I started working since April after some preliminary discussions with the developer of Content Manager. It's now time to reveal the preliminary release of my creation, Assetto Four Seasons. I've spent over 100hrs on this on top of the hours spent on Assetto By Night. And more development will come.

[NOTE]
Technically, at this date, is shloud be considered an alpha release because there is only one season, "SPRING". But already now it is completely...

Read more about this resource...

question day night cycle you mean day to night and back in one race right? how does this work??
and the wet wetter track how to get this working ? only grip levels or also visual ?
will this work with the real weather option is cm and gbw suite?

Could you please consider to remove the unrealistic STAR EFFECT lighting effects from the ppfilter?

There are only two practical ways resulting in star shaped light effects:

Stop down a lens' aperture (in 35mm format starting somewhere from f5.6 to f16 or beyond) - this will cause (only with particular aperture designs) a star shaped pattern wound bright light sources in the frame by means of light diffraction at straight parts of the aperture blades …

or using a cheap Star-Effect filter (a screw on or drop in filter which causes a similar diffraction on the straight edged lines of a grid incorporated into the filter to create just this effect at all apertures).

Of course in low light (such as night time racing) the first option is technically simply not possible (you usually use very wide apertures at such low light levels to expose the camera sensor or film sufficiently to receive a visible image).
Also as you would be shooting at apertures around f1.4 - f2.8 (pretty wide apertures in 35mm systems) you would have relatively slim DOF, hence in replay cameras this effect would be pronounced opposed to such imagery during daytime hours where you either have to stop down to smaller apertures or use filters and polato cut down light.

For a start it would just be great to remove the Star-Effect from your filters which would make your mod look so much better.

I think in the ppfilter file you could experiment with the star effect filter settings and "mis-use" this effect to create a slightly more "alive" backfire flame illusion.
Reduce the length of the star effect, increase the number of effects and play with the animation until the star effect stays largely within the area of the backfire flame textures but adds an additional layer of animation, increasing the illusion of real flames.

Btw - whenever you HAVE to use a star effect in motion pictures, NEVER EVER animate the star shaped pattern (rotation in Kunos filter settings) - translated to real life this would mean that you would either have to PHYSICALLY rotate the lens' aperture assembly (mounting the lens with a floating adapter and rotating the ENTIRE lens) or rotating a star effect grid filter in front of the lens.

Regarding the stars. I appreciate very much your comments coming from someone who understands lighting and photography. So I'm not going to dismiss your consideration. The "issue" with star in background which do not blur as the should, is something that bothers me since AssettoByNight. Unfortunately, due to AC engine limitations stars are placed on the same plane as clouds, so basically when you are in close-up zooming they are enlarged and blurred as clouds, leading to undesirable rendering. I'm sorry to say that for the moment I haven't figured out how to solve it. That being said, today I'm introducing a vairant of the sky with no clouds and maybe in that scenario I can try to improve the situation.

Regarding the rotation of the headlight star; I agree, partly. As the car angle changes relatively to the camera, some rotation is implied. But since at this moment DOF dependent rotation is not enabled, I went for a bit excessive rotation setting for testing purposes (everything is in the making and as you can guess there are tons of details to be fixed/adjusted/improveed). But you are right in saying that now is escessive and unrealistic. It will adjusted overtime.

Thank you for the comment.

Thanks for considering Fabrizio ;-)

Here is a link to some good info regarding the Aperture diffraction star pattern:

"Diffraction spikes due to non-circular aperture"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_spike

Diffraction are NOT dependent on the subjects rotation (car rotating) in relation to the camera system.
They are exclusively dependent on the actual straight diffraction edge of the aperture system rotational relation to the camera's recording device and the strength of emitted light from the light source.

I.e. the backfire flames emitted from a car that drives upside down (on it's roof) and a car driving right side up) on it's wheels) will cause the exact same pattern of a diffraction star on the camera's image (shape and rotation in the image are defined by the orientation of the lens' aperture and the luminance of the light source and it's position to the camera).

I was only referring to the diffraction star pattern around backfire flames, head lights, etc …

The moving stars I assumed are illusions in development (I was wondering if you could reduce their size a little bit but now that you explained it it is due to the limitation of the engine).

I will be following the future development of the mod - it looks to have so much potential!

Thanks for considering Fabrizio ;-)

Here is a link to some good info regarding the Aperture diffraction star pattern:

"Diffraction spikes due to non-circular aperture"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_spike

Diffraction are NOT dependent on the subjects rotation (car rotating) in relation to the camera system.
They are exclusively dependent on the actual straight diffraction edge of the aperture system rotational relation to the camera's recording device and the strength of emitted light from the light source.

I.e. the backfire flames emitted from a car that drives upside down (on it's roof) and a car driving right side up) on it's wheels) will cause the exact same pattern of a diffraction star on the camera's image (shape and rotation in the image are defined by the orientation of the lens' aperture and the luminance of the light source and it's position to the camera).

I was only referring to the diffraction star pattern around backfire flames, head lights, etc …

The moving stars I assumed are illusions in development (I was wondering if you could reduce their size a little bit but now that you explained it it is due to the limitation of the engine).

I will be following the future development of the mod - it looks to have so much potential!

I Belive this is what you want

https://www5.zippyshare.com/v/7eS8rf0m/file.html

Replace the files in the a4s_SPRING_0.99 folder

fabrizio piedepesante updated Assetto4Seasons with a new update entry:

Autumn Season + New Night Scenario + Bugfixing

Bugixing
Solved a problem (typo+commented code) that prevented most of weather conditions from happening.
New scenario
Added the Moonless night; now, when the sky is clear, you have 50% chance of getting the sky without the moon. In the moonless scenario the stars have never been brighter. Still in doubt is adding a cloudy moonless sky.
New Season
Added the Autumn season.
Other
Minor adjustement to headlights (I plan to make more adjustements later on)....

Read the rest of this update entry...

Maybe the link is broken but it leads to a shady website that auto-loads to popup sites :-(

I will definitely follow the development of a4s and give future versions a try.

..... zippy share is a file hosting service . maybe try installing an ad blocker.

anyways the fix is the go in to the filter.lua and change an entry under [glare] from shape=11 to shape=1 for each instance it comes up.

or... you could download the one i already made

fabrizio piedepesante submitted a new resource:

Assetto4Seasons - Assetto Four Seasons, a weather engine

Read more about this resource...
Hi Fabrizio, I realized thst the mod do not works fully with customs championships as it is not possible to set the night time. Also in Content Manager the slider goes from 8 to 18. Is it correct or there is a way to set night races also in the customs championships? Thank you

Hi Fabrizio, I realized thst the mod do not works fully with customs championships as it is not possible to set the night time. Also in Content Manager the slider goes from 8 to 18. Is it correct or there is a way to set night races also in the customs championships? Thank you

You are right. I did not realized (not tested at all). I assumed that CM was updated also on the Championship side. I'll ask the developer of CM to see if he can do something (i remember he was concerned about mantaining compatibility with the vanilla AC championship menu). Thank you for the heads up.

If you update CM to the latest version you will get the full 24 hour time range to select from. You *might* need to tick the 'untested' version box - it might still be at the experimental stage.

@fabrizio piedepesante : How do you race with a 24 hour cycle (as advertised) with this mod? I selected a pre-dawn time and ran a long race with 60x accelerated time and the sky did not lighten at all during the race, it remained exactly the same shade. When the race finished it should have been well past midday, but the weather was still pre-dawn. Am I missing something here? Many thanks.

By when is the latest version?
I'm not at my PC right now but I think it was 2nd or 3rd of June - certainly June, so very recent. You can force an update check of CM, then shut it down and restart it and check the version number correlates with the latest one listed in the 'updates' list (sorry, cannot remember the exact terminology or exactly where this is - might be in the 'About' tab at the top).

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.