WIP Assen TT-circuit 1954 version

Thank you for liking the Hondsrugring. This track has some updates already, but it has to be tested extensively before it will be released (V 1.80).
The TT-track is very narrow. A bit too narrow for racing with touring- or fast Formula cars. It really suits the Formula Vee cars. But they are also very slow. I have to decide if i want it to be as narrow as it really was or make it a bit wider so more Mods are capable to race on it. And i think the latter one is better.

It really suits the Formula Vee cars. But they are also very slow. (....)
I have to decide if i want it to be as narrow as it really was or make it a bit wider so more Mods are capable to race on it. And i think the latter one is better.

Depends if it is supposed to depict a real track or a fictional layout, I guess. If it's a real track, meant to simulate a real location, best to go for realism at all cost - that's what one aims for with a real one, after all.
If it's not a real life location or the width was unknown, then you'd have some room to play with. I have the same problems with some old temporary motorcycle tracks which I'd like to recreate: Darn, these guys sure drove in some über-narrow and unsafe places back then, you notice in hindsight.

Apart from that: Hey, don't diss the lovely old Vees mate :tongue: Its me favorite mod (together with HistoriX) in rF. Most fun you'd ever have with just 65 BHP. They're not quite as slow as we might think:

the mod achieves by and large the same laptimes as 1960's Vees did in real life, and on the Top Gear track and other twisty locations, they can outrun a '67 Porsche 911 or 914 :redface: (Not by much, but still. I measured this just for fun a while ago.) Even with their skinny Beetle tyres, often on such circuits they're as fast as cars with about double the horsepower because they're so light.

The Vee's are also one my favs. I don't mean to dish them when i named them "slow". The Assen track is, at the moment, that fast that the cars can take a lot of corners flat out.
When it comes to the width of the track: I think i will use the ruler to measure the width. I know that the width of the 1953 version was 7 meters at several places. But i don't know exactly where. Before that it was a mere 5 meters.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Was only kidding about the dissing ;)
Personally, since I have a rather heavy virtual lead foot, I like the Vees being able to go flat out even on narrower and smaller tracks. Those tracks would feel very cramped in an F1 or a GT sports car.

They really come alive on circuits like Macau or Tokyo. Despite them only being able to do 180 kph, you feel like you're friggin' *flying* on those tracks! Of course, it also "helps" that they have almost no grip. Otherwise it'd be too easy, every corner flat out ;)

I guess that was also why it was still acceptable to run on such narrow old-time tracks back then. As cornering speeds and motoring power progressed, tracks needed to be wider and have run off areas. Not that it stopped them running in freakishly narrow locations with the Silver Arrows, though...

TT1953_001.jpg

Yes. The track was pretty flat. It still is. I know there were only two corners with a banking. Also the track was very narrow. 5 meters to 7 meters at some places. I still have to find out where the track was widened up.
For your interest:
this is the Haarweg in opposite direction.

Haarweg.jpg

Yes, thàt is the question which is boggling me too. The TT-circuit is a MOTO-cycling circuit and thus it was not that wide. But in rfactor there are no moto cycle mods. So there are not many car mods that suit this track. One of them is the Formula Vee. They work astoundingly good at this track.

Well there is one motorcycle mod for rF (Mini Pocket bike), but it's obscure. I think another one was in development. But I haven't heard much of it.

Tend to use Formula Vee for such narrow tracks myself - not only because they're not super fast, but because they provide better in-cockpit visibility than sports cars as well. Lowest-powerered Caterhams may work too, though. Umm... and maybe Quads. I seem to remember there was a Quad mod for rF as well.

If you have so flat surface, you can delete some points and produce less polygons/vertices, which can improve overall performance a little. It is possible to merge two tracks that have different number of shape points - i used to do this simply making the place when they join perfectly flat.
I would suggest also to make the ditches less regular in shape - especially that sharp angle on the surface looks not natural :)

Because i have struck more and more problems, i am thinking to overhaul the whole project. Martinez, you uploaded a very interesting track example which contains a very interesting sollution: a invisible track to be used for the AIW exclusively.
Then i can use shorter open tracks to merge emel type of track parts with single tracks.
But first i am busy to build the houses, bridges, grandstands, and so on and on. Further i need more info about the track itself, have to decide which version (year) will be the basic track. And i need to build a good xpack for all textures. Some i have to make out from scratch.

Hi Erwin, nice to hear that my example helped you. Frankly, I was thinking how to apply driveline for RBR to make the track for endless driving (in that case all three timing gates have to be set to position of 0 (zero) meters). And this can work only for closed circuits as I realised in the past. If it also works for rF - that's even better :)
Also, the interesting new thing for me was that I've set Y position of all driveable tracks to 0 meters (ground level - because only then using the outside camera makes sense for rbr), created the "fake" track at default 20 meters height - then when moved it down, AIW lines went also down, but were glued to "physical" track. I have never experienced that before.
The "AIW maker" track was simplified as much as possible and switched off from rendering just to save calculations of computer. I think it could be deleted as well at the end... because even if you tell the machine not to render something, it's still there on scene in the game and processor still calculates this. You just don't see the object.
I memorised also some early Brendon's tutuorial about "Flying over the track" when the whole route is made from couple tracks. Well, I probably have never used that view in btb - just in case. "Accidental hero" I am then :D
For examples like this I always use default btb textures which are very good, everybody has them... Making good own/new from mixed textures is always a challenge, so I just save some time this way too :)

Something I learned from the rf track making tutorial is the difference in the specular "shine" between a low and highpoly surface. Test it out, make a flat road with no cross sections and 20m panels, then make another flat road next to it but with the default amount of cross sections and panel spacing every metre or 2.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back