1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Anyone tried a gamepad?

Discussion in 'Automobilista' started by eljueta, Nov 25, 2016.

1. eljueta

eljueta
    Premium Member

Hello everyone,

I want to play this online with a friend who doesn't own a steering wheel, anybody tried to play with a gamepad? is it viable (maybe with assists)?

Thanks in advance!

2. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz
    Premium Member

I would say it depends more on his experience driving with a gamepad. I made online races here for a few months (before buying a wheel finally ;)) without any trouble (I mean no more trouble than now with the wheel…:whistling:). I even did the driving academy here with the pad; I missed the tips about wheels but that already taught me a lot.
    I was already used to play with a pad tho. I only had auto clutch I think (then again it came with experience, I started with aids and gradually removed them). That seems a good way to let him try and maybe get to the point where he will want a wheel! :p

3. I've played sims for years with a pad with no issues. I play AMS with an Xbox 360 pad which is great for sim racing. It's obviously not as immersive as with a wheel but with proper set up you can run perfectly respectable times. Pay attention to steering sensitivity and dead zones so you're not twitching all over the place at high speed, and it may be worth starting with traction control and ABS on low until you get used to it. I generally race with no aids apart from auto clutch now, unless the car has TC and ABS in real life.

4. eljueta

eljueta
    Premium Member

good to know! Maybe I can convince him now then :p

5. I have a very nice setup for my pad when I can't be bother to set the wheel up, let me know if he wants it and I can post some screens for you mate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hello - It would be great if you can post up your gamepad settings. I'd like to give them a try on my gamepad.

Cheers

7. eljueta

eljueta
    Premium Member

Thanks for the replies, still trying to convince him to buy the damn game :p

8. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis
    Premium Member

Make sure to make to use speed sensitivity (about 75%) and a low steering lock. Play around with some aids like steering help, stability control and opposite lock. Remember, you're trying to get him hooked so there is no shame in using a little help in this case =)