Any help with a RBR Sound Problem?

Warren Dawes

Premium
I've run into a sound problem with my RBR install since upgrading to a new Mainboard. I'm out of my depth with sound related settings etc, so hoping someone here might be able to help.

I have just upgraded my gaming PC by replacing the Mainboard, CPU, RAM, and re-installing Windows XP.
The CPU is Intel I5-2500 and my Video card is NVidia GTX 460 SE.
The mainboard is a Gigabyte board with on-board sound. The sound chip says VIA VT2021 2ch HD Audio.
I have a Logitech speaker system (two stereo speakers and one sub woofer) connected to the rear speaker plug.

Everything is working fine except for RBR, which has an intermittent (every couple of seconds) cracking / interference type of sound coming loudly through the engine sound when driving. Also the pacenote calls jump a bit when it happens. All very distracting. I've tried different settings for the sound options in the RBR.ini file, but it makes no difference.

The only basic thing I have found to stop it is to go into Windows XP / Control Panel / Sound Options and to turn down the hardware acceleration to Basic level instead of the default Full.
The other strange part, if I use my G35 headset via the USB plug, the sound problem isn't being heard.
I don't have any problems with GTL sounds, only RBR. Installing RSRBR2012 still gives the same problem.

Since it only occurs with RBR, I am assuming it may be due to a sound setting within RBR, but I have no idea what to try.
Any help or ideas would be appreciated, PLEASE. :notworthy:

The FixUp Plug-In "Sound Buffer Overrun" setting. I'm not sure if FixUp is supplied with RSRBR2012?

Another thing in audio.ini in RBR main folder you can manually reduce amount of sound channels. Try 16, 8 or even lower.

Dunno if these help, but worth a try.

The FixUp Plug-In "Sound Buffer Overrun" setting. I'm not sure if FixUp is supplied with RSRBR2012?

Another thing in audio.ini in RBR main folder you can manually reduce amount of sound channels. Try 16, 8 or even lower.

Thanks, good to get some feedback.
I'm using FixUp, it was included with RSRBR2012, so I assume it includes the Sound Buffer Overrun fix. There is no special setting included for it. :unsure:

My Audio .ini setting says NumberChannels=0 , not sure what number of channels that uses. I'll try your settings and seee if it helps.

The mystery continues. :(
Reducing the Number Channels setting in Audio.ini does indeed help fix the problem. Reducing the setting to 12 eliminates the loud clicking.

However, this only works for the default RBR, every time I run RSRBR, it overwrites the Audio.ini and restores my old one. I tried making it Read Only, but RSRBR still overwrites it.
I tried changing the setting in the individual car's Audio.ini setting under the RSRBR Folder, but still the original Audio.ini file is restored.
Beats me. :O_o:
So, for now, I'm back to reducing my Sound hardware acceleration under Windows as my only solution.

I too have a logitech problem. I have the 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer. I can never use the surround sound button as i loose the co-driver. also I have a problem now that when i run a replay by have way through the stage the sound braks up ( and my car sounds like a tractor) any suggestions?
other than above..

I don't know if this will help your problem John, but here is the discussion topic I had at RallyeSim:
http://forum.rallyesim.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12960

In the end, they gave me a program that allowed me to edit the Audio.ini for all cars (or several) at once. It has helped me.
My sound is still not too good (lots of static type interference and some stuttering) but it has helped me to improve things. I'm still fiddling to find the right sound settings for some cars.

Your problem does sound different to mine though. Maybe worth you opening a topic at RallyeSim, they do seem to have a couple of Sound "experts" there.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back