An iRacing Rant

With iRacing's reticence to introduce new sports cars, I am worried the sim will eventually not be a great platform for leagues like the one I am part of. They have one TCR car coming; the Corvette GTE will never happen; the Aston Martin GTE is not on the radar, and the GT3 was abandoned; and with BMW leaving WEC and Ford apparently shifting to prototypes it has me legitimately questioning the future of sportscar racing on the sim. Even the prototypes are limited to two of the WEC entries, and at this point the IMSA partnership seems to merely only be a way for iRacing to use the sanctioning body's name to advance their brand.

I just don't have a good feeling about iRacing's position on sportscar racing right now - it seems to be a complete afterthought. They are being vastly outpaced in this regard by Assetto Corsa and Project Cars, among others - maybe iRacing's content is more accurate with a slightly more realistic driving engine, but at what point do we say that we're going to continue to push forward with the old Mustang and a limited selection of out of date GT cars instead of look for other options to keep our mission current? Our league has an actual title sponsor - how do we successfully promote that brand in the modern era of eSports without reasonably current content? Do we move to a platform where we can actually race GT4 against TCR? Where we can race the Lamborghini, Bentley, Porsche, Lexus, Acura, and Aston GT3 cars against the Merc, Audi, and Ferrari? Why does iRacing have 10 Porsches, yet won't do the GT3 R version? Why is there no movement on updating the most popular sportscar on the service, the Global Mazda MX-5, to the new ND-2 spec? For crying out loud, they could just modify the code to accomplish such a minor change - but nothing!

I have never raced any other sim at this level, so I have no axe to grind against iRacing as a sim. I just feel there's going to come a tipping point where if they don't change how they handle updates and licensing they will be left behind, forever competing with out of date cars on out of date tracks while other sims gain more and more of the eSports market share. I also feel there's no real way to address this, as iRacing rarely responds to such lines of questioning - so their stance is completely obfuscated while 300,000 racers worldwide continue paying their fees.

I'm just aggravated, and thinking ahead - wondering at the future of sim racing, and if iRacing will truly ever be more than a NASCAR platform or will they become to sim racing what NR2K3 has become to iRacing. I sincerely hope that once they're done making the core improvements they are working on - damage model, tire model, more classes on track, environment - that they take a hard look at how to improve content updates beyond their oval cars.

It's a shame that Kaemmer treats iRacing like his own little project - a shrine to his own genius. His highly accurate tyre model is horrible. It may be 99% accurate 99% of the time (I have no idea - I am far from an expert) but I would rather have 90% feels right 100% of the time.
Maybe one day he will be able to sell his code and research to tyre companies. Maybe one day it will be the lynch pin in the search for a cure for cancer.
Maybe I just want to pretend I am a race driver. Today.

That said - the NTMV7 on the Skip Barber does feel right. I can - for the first time in 3 years of iRacing - feel comfortable pushing my limits, knowing that I will be able to feel the tyre nearing the edge of disaster. Prior to this, people had to rely on memorising the point of no return. That's why every car seemed to have track tutorials for every week of every season.

As Eckhart says, you still can't beat iRacing for it's arrive-and-drive model; unless you live in the Aus/NZ area of the world.

Dropping my subs this week until NTM7 is on more cars and/or AI is released and/or I feel the need for that feeling that no other online racer gives. The recent ACC update might also be partially to blame...

TL:DR iRacing is great at the moment. It may be about to get better. But it's not the only shark at the picnic and ACC has just dumped chum in the pond.
It's great to have so many options. :)

I had someone tell me that for Skip Barber, Skip = car and Barber = track. So what is the car used there?

It's like a really underpowered 1949's F1 car on road tyres.
It is used for training purposes in real life and epic online battles in iRacing - slow enough to make racing - even with netcode limitations - close, and twitchy enough to require skill.

I love them!
YMMV.

Edit: The iRacing blurb goes:
"Named for the largest, most successful racing school in the world, the Skip Barber Race Series gives iRacing members their first taste of open-wheel racing. Featuring the winged Formula Skip Barber 2000, the series visits classic road racing circuits in North America and around the world. With many of the circuits offering different configurations they are sure present a new set of challenges each week."

I'm still a Rookie. Do I get to race with that yet? I got a Ferrari 488 GT3 on a recommendation, but was then told I would need to wait until I had a D license before I could use it in a race. I love the car. It is confidence inspiring.

I'm still trying things out. I tried a Nascar Sprint car and it was crazy slippery or just plain overpowered for it's tires. The dirt tracks are pretty cool. I love drifting!

Skip Barber was an American race driver in the 70s who later founded the driving school. The track was named after the chap who designed it, guy from Alabama called George Barber.
The car is licence D in iRacing, so as a rookie, no chance to race just practice. We're in week 09 of the 12+1 cycle before a new season starts, so 3.5 weeks to go before push comes to shove and you need to have gotten out of rookie, chosen a series and bought either the car and/or enough tracks to do the eight races needed to make it count.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.