Alonso Hopeful for a "Positive" Weekend

Alonso McLaren.jpg
Fernando Alonso is hopeful McLaren can take something “positive” from the Australian GP, despite expecting a difficult weekend.

The team start the 2017 season on the backfoot after a frustrating winter testing. Though Alonso has called for a quick turnaround in performance, he isn’t expecting miracles, and knows the team is relying on other people’s retirements to achieve a strong result.

“The team worked very hard in the last couple of weeks to improve the situation and arrive a little bit more ready to compete but, in Formula One, there are no miracles in two weeks,” he said.

“I expect a difficult weekend, so we have to have our feet on the ground knowing that we have some problems to solve.”

McLaren were unable to complete their testing programme over the eight days at Barcelona, with engine problems keeping them in the pits on multiple occasions. Alonso has called for a quick turnaround in performance, though he made no comment on his confidence in the Honda engine.

“I already asked the team to have a reaction very strong and very soon because, obviously, this is Formula One,” he said. “No one will wait for you more than one day, more than one hour.

“We need to improve the situation, change the gear, raise our level and compete hard and hopefully enjoy the challenge.”

At this stage, the only “positive” thing McLaren can hope to take from the first race of the season is a little more mileage than what they were able to get during preseason testing. Though Alonso commented that “anything can happen” and the team may be able to take points if there are retirements higher up in the field, it likely McLaren will be focusing on understand the car rather than taking top results.

“We have a couple of small updates in the car, but we have to find out during practice tomorrow if they are any better,” Stoffel Vandoorne said.

“For us, it is important to get mileage and understand the package and try to make the most out of it.

“We have not completed the winter testing programme like we wanted to do, and we know we are in a difficult situation – but we knew that before coming here.

“Now it is all about working together with the team to push us as hard as we can, to put new parts on the car and improve weekend after weekend.”

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Where do you think McLaren will finish in the Australian GP? Do you think there will be much difference to their testing performance? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

DND

Stay Safe, Healthy and be Kind - Stop Hate
Alonso has great talent and that goes without argument, his timing of changing teams leaves something to be desired. I am not sure what you do for yourself, much less the team, by constantly telling anyone with a pen and paper, microphone or twitter account that you are unhappy with your situation and that everyone else needs to step up. Honestly, as a fan it gets to be a bit tiring hearing drivers criticize their manufacturers, pit teams, engineers and other drivers etc... it comes across as undermining the team principal, after all isn't that his job?
If your going to complain how about the lousy circuits that are filled with a series of turns that only allow single file, hairpins, chicanes and mostly designed by a single entity? or Goofy aero packages that have flip up, turn outs and whatchamacallits on every car appendage? or Gimmicks like having to use certain compounds of tires to create drama, what about pit strategy trying to use a single set of hard compound because your car is under powered? No, lets have DRS and a boost button, require pits stops to use up tires to enhance THE show. Liberty your on the clock, please get this back in line in the next couple of years (2).
Back to the drivers not everyone gets a trophy, if you want to be a 'winner' every week I suggest they join the local Little League baseball or soccer team otherwise please do your job and tone down the rhetoric.:mad: Sorry for taking this rant out on poor Alonso and Thanks for letting me vent.:) Enjoy Australia

I think Alonso will not see the end of the season and is likely to throw his toys out at any time. He has either been very unlucky or just made bad judgement when moving teams.

He is doubtless one of the better drivers F1 has had over the years but his firely temper and ability to put his foot in it are almost second to none.

I would like to think Mcclaren can sort out things with Honda but it seems that it's not all that likely based on last years progress or rather lack of. We should not forget Honda are enjoying success in other areas of Motorsport in fact this headline is possibly the most poignant

Sébastien Bourdais drives Honda from last to first in St. Petersburg IndyCar win

I some how doubt Mcclaren and Alonso can repeat such a feat but just imagine if they managed to get on the podium it's highly unlikely but miracles can happen?

Alonso brilliant a driver as he is equally awful in his judgement as to when to move teams. He should have been fighting for wins over the past few years rather than fighting just to get into the points. It's quite sad really and unless things improve very quickly at McLaren it's difficult to see him sticking around.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Honda will pull it all together but very unlikely in the short term and at his age Alonso does not have time on his side if he wants to add to those two world championships.

Alonso has great talent and that goes without argument, his timing of changing teams leaves something to be desired. I am not sure what you do for yourself, much less the team, by constantly telling anyone with a pen and paper, microphone or twitter account that you are unhappy with your situation and that everyone else needs to step up. Honestly, as a fan it gets to be a bit tiring hearing drivers criticize their manufacturers, pit teams, engineers and other drivers etc... it comes across as undermining the team principal, after all isn't that his job?
If your going to complain how about the lousy circuits that are filled with a series of turns that only allow single file, hairpins, chicanes and mostly designed by a single entity? or Goofy aero packages that have flip up, turn outs and whatchamacallits on every car appendage? or Gimmicks like having to use certain compounds of tires to create drama, what about pit strategy trying to use a single set of hard compound because your car is under powered? No, lets have DRS and a boost button, require pits stops to use up tires to enhance THE show. Liberty your on the clock, please get this back in line in the next couple of years (2).
Back to the drivers not everyone gets a trophy, if you want to be a 'winner' every week I suggest they join the local Little League baseball or soccer team otherwise please do your job and tone down the rhetoric.:mad: Sorry for taking this rant out on poor Alonso and Thanks for letting me vent.:) Enjoy Australia

Yup, I cannot agree with you more on Alonso,

I cannot recall Michael Schumacher complaining about the Ferrari in 1996 and until his first title in 2000,

He just got on with the job and eventually reaped the benefits of his dedication and skill with 5 more world titles!

Anyone who thinks a manufacturer can walk into Formula 1, irrespective of their pedigree and historical results, and have victories within the first 3 years is a bit optimistic bordering on delusional.

It took Mercedes 3 years (2010 - 2012) before any victories and titles and oh yes, again Schumacher's hard work and input cannot be overlooked, and unfortunately he did not reap the benefit from that.

Today we live in an era of quick gratification and entitlement, that’s the problem……

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.2%
  • €151-500

Votes: 116 27.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 68 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 40 9.6%
  • €3001-5000