AI Pit Stops Strategies Issues

Could anyone tell how to adjust AI Pit stops strategies in RF2 races ? In RF1 it was simple and convenient using .GDB track file editing with such values for example

PitStopStrategies
{

Fernando Alonso = 2 - 25,45

Kimi Raikkonen = 3 - 10,30,55

Valtteri Bottas = 2 - 20,59

Lewis Hamilton = 2 - 27,47
}

But in RF2 it doesn't work unfortunately, They keep making pitstops every 10-12 laps , and it's annoying , how to fix it ?

Other than assigning setups to the AI, & even then I'm not sure. When I race the AI they rarely pit, but then I usually do 45 minute races or less. @MarcG always said the first thing to try when having AI issues was to rename the player.json file and let rF2 rebuild a clean fresh copy.

Other than assigning setups to the AI, & even then I'm not sure. When I race the AI they rarely pit, but then I usually do 45 minute races or less.

Do you want to them pit ?
1. rF2 is usually out in fuel amount/laps
So first you got to test that with every combo and find laps per 10 litres ( whatever)
If your total race distance is less then what a full tank can do then AI won't stop.
The only fool proof way I have found and pretty simple if you think about it is to raise the fuel usage at least past the point a full tank will not go race distance.
You will have to reload race a few times to check x2 x3 x4 etc.
That will force all cars to stop to get them to stop twice ( same race distance ) increase fuel usage again so you may end up 5x fuel lets you do 1/3 distance.
You just got to test each combo and stint distance.

This has another effect.
imho probably too many run too low a fuel levels ie: just enough to finish race so car is light.
This can make AI behavior sketchy first few laps because they are dynamic not robots like all other sims you probably comparing things to.

With full fuel tanks they are more stable gives heat and tyre and road a chance.
It is easy to see in test if you have combo seem to crash in certain corners try full tanks
You would think that would make them crash easier but it gives them more grip.
With low fuel load the rF2 AI can skip, bounce whatever over surface, I don't see that in any other sim.

Testing Phillip Island update for Andrea, I found a few splines/mesh launching the F3 Eve. That is why I say is good car to test terrain as it feels and reacts to everything.

Anyway did 15 lapper and set 5x fuel which meant you had to splash and dash.
Lap 10 first AI pitted last pitted Lap 13 all pitted ( 23 cars )
I went to Lap 14 and put 2 laps fuel ( 10 seconds )
Then I got pinged for speeding in pitlane lol ( Phillip is slow forgot I don't like messages ) lol

Other things some people forget I think, AI will not take tyres unless they are well worn ( next subject) but if you just pit you will have to take tyres and lose 1-2 minutes. So 30 seconds from pitting hit pit in ( gives crew time to get in lane) at the same time cycle to pit strategy and select "No change" for tyres before you hit pitlane is best. Now your pitstop will take same time as AI.
Note: You can't save a setup that takes no tyres you must do it in race so during race way before your stop press pit request, set no tyres then un-request pit stop that will save no tyre change until you ready to really pit gives you time to do on a straight.

Tyres ( Tires )
This is other magic you can use to totally change AI race.
Don't quote me but I think they will swap about 50% wear
1 hour race you probably want at least 4x wear set.
So you need to increase tyre wear then AI will take longer stops and you get time to rest and get fresh boots. But like I said all these factors are dynamic depending on combo and conditions.
This also adds the dynamic you have to be careful yourself not to lock wheels or rF2 will shake you to pieces lol

Last edited:
extreme forced setup lol :coffee:

Untitled 1.jpg

For pitstop ai strategy well you could change the amount of fuel a car could carry at the start of a race and during pitstop within the hdv file.

It only would change the amount of fuel it could take, so if a car could take 150 litres, you can change it to 80 or something so you can pretent that the pitcrew only put 80 litres in to it instead of filling it up to the 150 litres...

but its a handfull way of doing it.. in rf1 and gtr2 and also i believe ams1 the hdv/hdc files arent packed in to a mas file so easy to change every time but with rf2 every time to change the .mas file is annoying.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.