AI not leaving pits

Track is Clermont65, a conversion by Neel Jani (whose tracks are usually flawless).

Player can run any car, no problems. AI cars just sit in pits unless very powerful; for example, TR3 or '37 Voiturettes do not move, 1988 F1 cars slowly leave pits as if knee deep in mud, do not accelerate normally til past turn 1, after which they run fine.

I assume an AIW issue but this aspect of that file is beyond my knowledge.

Track is Clermont65, a conversion by Neel Jani (whose tracks are usually flawless).

Player can run any car, no problems. AI cars just sit in pits unless very powerful; for example, TR3 or '37 Voiturettes do not move, 1988 F1 cars slowly leave pits as if knee deep in mud, do not accelerate normally til past turn 1, after which they run fine.

I assume an AIW issue but this aspect of that file is beyond my knowledge.
This is an issue AndreasFSC has been dealing with in doing his Race Remaster mod recently, he would be a solid person to ask about this problem! AIW tweaks were the solution, IIRC.

Hi.. I'm seeing at Line 603, *GarageDepth=2.000* in 65Full Clermont AIW, date 2016-06-18.
( fyi - fuel factor is 14,47 ).

GarageDepth is missing in 65Light
Clermont AIW, date 2009-01-03.
Try to add this line..See if that helps
( fyi - fuel factor is only 11,8 ) .

Thanks; I was using the full version, same AIW file date.

I have noticed that even cars that do manage to get to the track tend to mill around and bump into each other first.

What do the fuel figures represent?

Ok.. 65 Full version have GarageDepth=.. Try to change up or down, to see what happens.
No change - go AIWEditor.

A low fuel factor may leave you alone on track in long races.

AI use to just give up, leaving the Player frustrated and with a long face ...
Easy math : in AIW LINEs 582 and 586 : lap_lenght x FuelUse = fuel- factor. Should be somewhere at 14,5 to 15,5. Source Bjarne Hansen ;)

Reactions: jgf
What exactly does garagedepth adjust?

Played around with it this morning. At 1.750 cars in the first couple of spots next to me will slowly move out; at 1.500 the first two take off decently, the next two will move slowly; at 1.000 the closest four spots will get on track, though low power cars move slowly; at 0.500 most cars will get on track except the spot farthest down pit road, even an Auto Union will just rev the engine and move back and forth, maybe getting on track about the time the first cars are completing their first lap (low power cars rarely move from the last couple of spots). Below 0.500 it gets worse again, with low power cars next to me barely moving. Played "push car" and noticed if I nudge the AI, once their front wheels are on pit road they will take off on their own, slowly for a few yards then drive off normally. Oddly, setting this to 0.000 seemed little different from the default 2.000, no AI got on track.

I wonder if the pits sitting astride a slight hill has an effect.

Which parameter is that? I see only these in the eng file:

IdleThrottle=0.40000 // throttle multiplier to help maintain idle speed
IdleRPMLogic=(1100, 1200) // attempt to maintain idle speed between these RPMs

Will this have any undesirable effects on these cars at other tracks where they currently have no issues leaving the pits?

Also, so far I have three mods with this issue, it would seem better to correct the track than edit literally dozens of car files.

You can check if the garage area are lower than the pit lanes. and that is the issue.
And lift the garage spot in the aiw file to same or slightly higher level than the pitlane.
Would just add if base cars do not have issues getting out the garages then the modded cars likely have to low idling rpm
if the car got IdleThrottle=0.40000 and IdleRPMLogic=(1100, 1200) then the idle rpm are less than 300 rpm!
That sound very low to me ?
The idea of making the garage deeper are to the car gets a little up in speed and momentum before it have to turn the front wheels which increases the rolling resistance the engine torque has to overcome..
For me the most logical thing are the idle rpm are too low or the torque at low rpm are to low.
But it is your problem and your decision.

You can check if the garage area are lower than the pit lanes. and that is the issue.
And lift the garage spot in the aiw file to same or slightly higher level than the pitlane.
Would just add if base cars do not have issues getting out the garages then the modded cars likely have to low idling rpm
if the car got IdleThrottle=0.40000 and IdleRPMLogic=(1100, 1200) then the idle rpm are less than 300 rpm!
That sound very low to me ?
The idea of making the garage deeper are to the car gets a little up in speed and momentum before it have to turn the front wheels which increases the rolling resistance the engine torque has to overcome..
For me the most logical thing are the idle rpm are too low or the torque at low rpm are to low.
But it is your problem and your decision.
Regarding garage area and pitlanes, we are now out of my comfort zone; I know not what to look for nor how to properly adjust it. Though I do believe this could be an issue since the main straight, the pit lane, and the garage/pit area is one large paved area sitting on the crest of a slight hill, so not a level area. (I have another version of Clermont, "70Charade", with a similar issue, just not as pronounced as here.)

So the garagedepth is how far the garage extends from the pitlane? In which case I should make the figure larger rather than smaller.

True the rpm seems low; but the logic is - if several mods have an issue at one track, it is a track problem; if one mod has issue at several tracks, it is a mod problem. Though perhaps the optimum solution is to tweak both tracks and cars (the GP37 cars have been through at least 3 major physics rewrites, yet I've had to tweak gear ratios and fuel consumption on several ....I know that supercharged V-12 was thirsty, but 15 miles on a full tank of gas?!).

These are all things to try, simple txt edits, easily undone. Thanks.

I have run into the same problem several times. One reason could be that the torquelevel is to low. If the idle rpm is 1100 you might need about 100 Nm at 1000 rpm. An other reason could be that the first gear ratio is to high. Try to lower the gear ratio in first gear.

Well, I'm at a loss; I fear this will take someone with more knowledge than I to cure. All my testing has produced inconsistent or inconclusive results.

To recap:

The GP37 cars, and the TR3 mod, have worked fine at other tracks I've tried; at Clermont65 the TR3s do not move at all, the GP37 cars may get on the track, they may move very slowly to the pit lane and eventually move normally, they may constantly move back and forth a foot or so, or they may back up in a stop and start manner til they are half buried in the garage, where they will sit for a minute before disappearing, and after a couple of minutes reappear in their normal pit position ...to repeat the scene. I can give these cars a little push and they may move out slowly before speeding up normally, or I may push them nearly onto the track before they come to life.

Tried some default cars. The Ferrari 360 Modenas had no problems, they all zipped out of the pits and onto the track. The Vertigos got on the track, though a couple were rather slow, and one (in the space closest to me) just sat there, didn't rev the engine, didn't turn the wheels, might as well have been scenery. I maneuvered behind it and pushed (wasn't easy, as if it weighed two tons and had the parking brake on), it did nothing til both front wheels were actually on the track, then it took off normally.

I will point out that the cars that do get on the track, whether on their own or with a push, often often zip across the pit lane and partially onto the track, then pull back into the pit lane and slow to normal speed.

I have tweaked the idle settings and played around with torque figures in that range (keeping in mind another thread here about the lowest 3-4 lines needing negative values for torque or neither the player nor AI can make pit stops, since the engine will not shut off). Also tweaked the garagedepth setting, as noted in previous post, but results are inconsistent. I checked the values of this in numerous other tracks and decided the setting itself seems irrelevant; most default tracks have this between 2.000 and 3.000, of the add-on tracks I checked some were in the 2.000-3.000 range, the rest had no garagedepth line at all. Solitude is one of the latter, yet all cars I've run there, default or mod, work fine.

Here is a shot of the pit area at Clermont65; taken at the end of my third lap, so probably 11-12 minutes into the session. Cars line up on the right facing the track at an angle; they should pull into pit lane (the light area just to right of the cones) and proceed to the far end where they enter the track in turn 1. The Auto Union has merely moved back and forth til it is sitting at a much greater angle than normal, while the Alfa backed, in fits and starts, into the garage (it vanished a few seconds later, and reappeared in its pit space about two minutes later). The car in the space this side of the Alfa is on the track ...after i pushed it. The car this side of the Auto Union got on track, after meandering back and forth very slowly for a couple of minutes; the car by the light pole has just vanished, after backing halfway into the garage.

GRAB_037.jpg

Definitely a great track, one of my favorites .... otherwise I'd not spend so much time fiddling with it.

If the issue isn't the track I'm even more at a loss - the mods having this problem run fine at all other tracks where I've run them.

BTW, for anyone who knows how to tweak AI lines/speeds there is a small issue heading into Virage de la Ferme (the first left hand hairpin). The AI often run wide exiting the right hander preceding this turn and go off track far enough to brush the retaining wall on the left; depending on the car this may cause a pit stop. (I don't blame them, took me forever to learn this part of the track.)

Still tinkering. Increasing torque below idle rpm helped some cars (especially some P&G cars stuck in the pits); others were helped by increasing 'LaunchRPMLogic', if this is too low the AI do not rev enough to start moving, but if too high they will take off at race start as if rocket assisted (several cars had this set to the idle speed and slightly above).

Currently the two or three cars in the spaces at the crest of the hill will back into the garage buildings, sit there a few seconds, then move out to the pit lane and onto the track; any car in the space to my right will back up about half a car length, sit there bouncing slightly for several seconds, then pull out.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back