Advice on getting started in sim racing

Hi guys, first time poster here. I've been looking to get started in sim racing for a while and I wanted to ask for some advice based on my specific circumstances. I'm keen to get a setup that provides as realistic an experience as possible, without breaking the bank, and was wondering if people would recommend going for a triple screen set up or a VR headset? Also, what wheel/pedal setup would you recommend for a beginner looking for a realistic SIM racing experience?

I currently have a normal office desk and chair with wheels. Is it possible to use a chair with wheels or would I have to get a separate seat? If separate, has anyone ever tried the Playseat Challenge and would you recommend it or an alternative?

I would like to be able to race different kinds of cars and tracks, and so if anyone has a preferred game that would allow for this and still provide as much realism as possible I would love to hear peoples' up-to-date/latest thoughts on the most appropriate game.

Appreciate any help people can offer!

What would you recommend as the minimum hardware to be able to run three screens?

Within your budget (max £800), you'd probably struggle for a decent system upgrade. There would be no point going for a real budget system as you'd almost certainly need to upgrade again in the not too distant future. I'm not an expert on triples but if you want to go that way, your money may be better spent on a new graphics card like the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT as your current card is the limiting factor at present.

Upvote 0
I suspect that, factoring in requirement for a rig/seat and VR (second hand), a second hand CSL Elite wheelbase & CSL pedals is most achievable at your budget - keep an eye on eBay and the marketplace for options. Even then you are likely to be looking at the top end of your budget .

Maybe -
£250 - Odyssey used
£400 - CSL Elite, wheel and pedals used
£080 - Playseat challenge used

BTW - I'm a big fan of the Playseat Challenge - I think it is offers excellent value.
What are your thoughts on the CSL Elite setup vs a Thrustmaster T300 wheel and pedals?

Upvote 0
Within your budget (max £800), you'd probably struggle for a decent system upgrade. There would be no point going for a real budget system as you'd almost certainly need to upgrade again in the not too distant future. I'm not an expert on triples but if you want to go that way, your money may be better spent on a new graphics card like the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT as your current card is the limiting factor at present.

I've got a RX 5700XT Red Devil, playing on triple 24". Works fine in ACC with High Settings. But don't expect too much from the Radeon Software - in the newest Versions u can't adjust your triple screen Setup. @JE20

Upvote 0
I've got a RX 5700XT Red Devil, playing on triple 24". Works fine in ACC with High Settings. But don't expect too much from the Radeon Software - in the newest Versions u can't adjust your triple screen Setup. @JE20
Thanks Noahbet. Would that card also allow you to use VR if you wanted to?

Upvote 0
Thanks Noahbet. Would that card also allow you to use VR if you wanted to?

Yea i think it would, but i can't tell you more about VR since i'm not playing with VR - Maybe i can borrow the VR from a friend of mine and i can tell you more next week! :)

and btw - i'm using a T300 right now - bought it used from Amazon warehouse for about 220€. For my use it is enough. Never had any issue since i bought it (11.2018).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yea i think it would, but i can't tell you more about VR since i'm not playing with VR - Maybe i can borrow the VR from a friend of mine and i can tell you more next week! :)

and btw - i'm using a T300 right now - bought it used from Amazon warehouse for about 220€. For my use it is enough. Never had any issue since i bought it (11.2018).
Appreciate it!

Yeah I was looking at either the T300 or the CSL Elite plus pedals. Not sure which to go for.. also trying to work out price. I may have to wait on the graphics card upgrade and just use my current 1050Ti with a single monitor until I can upgrade it.

Upvote 0
To answer some of your specific questions:
1. An office chair with wheels certainly will not work well. As you apply pressure to your pedals, your chair will always want to roll backwards. A simple dining room/kitchen chair works well for starters.

2. Regarding Playseat Challenge, I have no experience with that specific model. However, I use a "Rocker" gaming chair for sim racing and it's quite nice. Comfortable with built-in speakers (for sound) and transducers in the cushion (to give some tactile feedback).

3. As for preferred game for "different kinds of cars and tracks", I'd recommend either Assetto Corsa (NOT Assetto Corsa Competitionezi), Raceroom Racing Experience, or Automobilista. (Note that Automobilista 2 is scheduled for release within a few weeks.) Each offer a wide variety of cars and tracks. The most Bang-for-buck is probably Assetto Corsa since you can find MANY free (and paid) modded cars and tracks to download - many right here on Race Department.

Have fun!
On the games, how does rfactor2 compare to the game you listed?

Upvote 0
Actually, I spend most of my sim racing time in rFactor2, mainly because I participate in some of the rF2 races here on Race Department.

On the positive side, the driving experience (physics and FFB) is first rate IMO. Graphics, while not stellar, are good enough (for me). The big downside for the uninitiated, though, is the very clunky User Interface. It's very different from other sims, but they're currently developing a new UI. I prefer the "old" UI, but only because I've gotten used to it over time. A new user might not agree...

In terms of content, rF2 offers a wide variety "out of the box" with many more cars/tracks available as free (or paid) downloadable content.

Upvote 0
Actually, I spend most of my sim racing time in rFactor2, mainly because I participate in some of the rF2 races here on Race Department.

On the positive side, the driving experience (physics and FFB) is first rate IMO. Graphics, while not stellar, are good enough (for me). The big downside for the uninitiated, though, is the very clunky User Interface. It's very different from other sims, but they're currently developing a new UI. I prefer the "old" UI, but only because I've gotten used to it over time. A new user might not agree...

In terms of content, rF2 offers a wide variety "out of the box" with many more cars/tracks available as free (or paid) downloadable content.
That is really helpful, thank you. I would probably choose a better/more realistic experience over best-of-the-best graphics - i.e. as long as the graphics are decent I don't mind.

I guess rf2 would be as good a choice as AC or the others you mentioned if it weren't for the UI?

Upvote 0
That is really helpful, thank you. I would probably choose a better/more realistic experience over best-of-the-best graphics - i.e. as long as the graphics are decent I don't mind.

I guess rf2 would be as good a choice as AC or the others you mentioned if it weren't for the UI?

IMO - if your priority is "feel" (physics and FFB) over graphics, of the sims that would run well on your system (I'm excluding ACC because of that) I would choose rF2 or RaceRoom Racing Experience (R3E).

Just be aware that R3E can get expensive with their pricing model. However, it's worth noting that you download R3E for free and try out any car on R3E's test track, again for free, before purchasing the car.

AC provides lots of cars and tracks, lots of free (or low cost) mods to download, and great graphics. But with regard to physics and FFB, it's a notch or two below rF2 and R3E, IMO.

Lots of choices. -- I don't think that you can go wrong with any of them. But they are like potato chips - Once you start, you can't "eat" just one. ;)

Upvote 0
IMO - if your priority is "feel" (physics and FFB) over graphics, of the sims that would run well on your system (I'm excluding ACC because of that) I would choose rF2 or RaceRoom Racing Experience (R3E).

Just be aware that R3E can get expensive with their pricing model. However, it's worth noting that you download R3E for free and try out any car on R3E's test track, again for free, before purchasing the car.

AC provides lots of cars and tracks, lots of free (or low cost) mods to download, and great graphics. But with regard to physics and FFB, it's a notch or two below rF2 and R3E, IMO.

Lots of choices. -- I don't think that you can go wrong with any of them. But they are like potato chips - Once you start, you can't "eat" just one. ;)
I see. Out of rF2 and AC, and including the mods for both, which would you say as a wider selection of cars and tracks?

Upvote 0
I’d also look seriously at the new Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals. Load cell brake and hall-effect sensors for a bargain price. Lots of good reviews on YouTube.
They do look very similar to the Fanatec Elite LC pedals but maybe ~£20 cheaper new when they get released in a couple of weeks. Are there any big differences between the two? Would be interested to hear your/anyone else's thoughts on the comparison between the T300RS+T-LCM Pedals vs the Elite Wheel P1+Elite LC Pedals and which might be a better option to go for (assuming I go for one of them..)

Upvote 0
Are there any big differences between the two?

The biggest difference is probably that the T-LCM pedals use Hall effect sensors for the throttle and clutch rather than the less reliable, shorter-lived potentiometers on the Elite LC’s. The T-LCM pedals have 16bit resolution on all three pedals (on a PC) whereas the Elite LC’s only have 16bit on the brake and 12bit on the other two pedals. The brake pedal on the T-LCM’s is, arguably, much easier to adjust than on the Elite LC’s. The Elite LC’s have an all-metal construction whilst the T-LCM’s have a plastic base. However, the plastic base is much larger and has more space to rest your heels than the Elite’s. I’m looking to replace my T3PAs this year and will probably go for the T-LCMs.

Upvote 0
The biggest difference is probably that the T-LCM pedals use Hall effect sensors for the throttle and clutch rather than the less reliable, shorter-lived potentiometers on the Elite LC’s. The T-LCM pedals have 16bit resolution on all three pedals (on a PC) whereas the Elite LC’s only have 16bit on the brake and 12bit on the other two pedals. The brake pedal on the T-LCM’s is, arguably, much easier to adjust than on the Elite LC’s. The Elite LC’s have an all-metal construction whilst the T-LCM’s have a plastic base. However, the plastic base is much larger and has more space to rest your heels than the Elite’s. I’m looking to replace my T3PAs this year and will probably go for the T-LCMs.
Thanks. I did a bit more research and am really considering these. Is there a date for when they will become available?

I'm also thinking of going for the T300 Racing Wheel Servo Base (https://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/products-steering-wheels/t300-racing-wheel-servo-base.html) along with the TM Open Wheel Add-on (https://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/products-steering-wheels/tm-open-wheel-add-on.html), and then the pedals whenever they are released. Any thoughts on this combination?

Upvote 0
Is there a date for when they will become available?

26 March, as far as I’m aware.

I have the T300 with the F1 wheel: https://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/products-steering-wheels/ferrari-f1-wheel-add-on.html. I had considered the Open Wheel but you get more assignable buttons on the F1 wheel. I like it, you just need to ignore the simulated controls in the centre of the wheel!

The T300 is a good wheel base. It’s not the most powerful FFB out there but it has enough for me and is great value for the price. It had some teething problems when it was first released but these seem to be resolved now. I run mine with the internal fan on all the time (an option) and haven’t had any issues since I bought it 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More leagues

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 11.6%