Advice on getting started in sim racing

Hi guys, first time poster here. I've been looking to get started in sim racing for a while and I wanted to ask for some advice based on my specific circumstances. I'm keen to get a setup that provides as realistic an experience as possible, without breaking the bank, and was wondering if people would recommend going for a triple screen set up or a VR headset? Also, what wheel/pedal setup would you recommend for a beginner looking for a realistic SIM racing experience?

I currently have a normal office desk and chair with wheels. Is it possible to use a chair with wheels or would I have to get a separate seat? If separate, has anyone ever tried the Playseat Challenge and would you recommend it or an alternative?

I would like to be able to race different kinds of cars and tracks, and so if anyone has a preferred game that would allow for this and still provide as much realism as possible I would love to hear peoples' up-to-date/latest thoughts on the most appropriate game.

Appreciate any help people can offer!

Hi guys, first time poster here. I've been looking to get started in sim racing for a while and I wanted to ask for some advice based on my specific circumstances. I'm keen to get a setup that provides as realistic an experience as possible, without breaking the bank, and was wondering if people would recommend going for a triple screen set up or a VR headset? Also, what wheel/pedal setup would you recommend for a beginner looking for a realistic SIM racing experience?

I currently have a normal office desk and chair with wheels. Is it possible to use a chair with wheels or would I have to get a separate seat? If separate, has anyone ever tried the Playseat Challenge and would you recommend it or an alternative?

I would like to be able to race different kinds of cars and tracks, and so if anyone has a preferred game that would allow for this and still provide as much realism as possible I would love to hear peoples' up-to-date/latest thoughts on the most appropriate game.

Appreciate any help people can offer!
To answer some of your specific questions:
1. An office chair with wheels certainly will not work well. As you apply pressure to your pedals, your chair will always want to roll backwards. A simple dining room/kitchen chair works well for starters.

2. Regarding Playseat Challenge, I have no experience with that specific model. However, I use a "Rocker" gaming chair for sim racing and it's quite nice. Comfortable with built-in speakers (for sound) and transducers in the cushion (to give some tactile feedback).

3. As for preferred game for "different kinds of cars and tracks", I'd recommend either Assetto Corsa (NOT Assetto Corsa Competitionezi), Raceroom Racing Experience, or Automobilista. (Note that Automobilista 2 is scheduled for release within a few weeks.) Each offer a wide variety of cars and tracks. The most Bang-for-buck is probably Assetto Corsa since you can find MANY free (and paid) modded cars and tracks to download - many right here on Race Department.

Have fun!

Upvote 0
To answer some of your specific questions:
1. An office chair with wheels certainly will not work well. As you apply pressure to your pedals, your chair will always want to roll backwards. A simple dining room/kitchen chair works well for starters.

2. Regarding Playseat Challenge, I have no experience with that specific model. However, I use a "Rocker" gaming chair for sim racing and it's quite nice. Comfortable with built-in speakers (for sound) and transducers in the cushion (to give some tactile feedback).

3. As for preferred game for "different kinds of cars and tracks", I'd recommend either Assetto Corsa (NOT Assetto Corsa Competitionezi), Raceroom Racing Experience, or Automobilista. (Note that Automobilista 2 is scheduled for release within a few weeks.) Each offer a wide variety of cars and tracks. The most Bang-for-buck is probably Assetto Corsa since you can find MANY free (and paid) modded cars and tracks to download - many right here on Race Department.

Have fun!
Thank you.

Upvote 0
I suspect that, factoring in requirement for a rig/seat and VR (second hand), a second hand CSL Elite wheelbase & CSL pedals is most achievable at your budget - keep an eye on eBay and the marketplace for options. Even then you are likely to be looking at the top end of your budget .

Maybe -
£250 - Odyssey used
£400 - CSL Elite, wheel and pedals used
£080 - Playseat challenge used

BTW - I'm a big fan of the Playseat Challenge - I think it is offers excellent value.

Upvote 0
I suspect that, factoring in requirement for a rig/seat and VR (second hand), a second hand CSL Elite wheelbase & CSL pedals is most achievable at your budget - keep an eye on eBay and the marketplace for options. Even then you are likely to be looking at the top end of your budget .

Maybe -
£250 - Odyssey used
£400 - CSL Elite, wheel and pedals used
£080 - Playseat challenge used

BTW - I'm a big fan of the Playseat Challenge - I think it is offers excellent value.
Ah ok, perhaps I was being a tad optimistic! Out of interest, how much do you think this would all cost new? Also, when it comes to wheels, what is the reason to go for a circular wheel vs a wheel shaped something like the ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula Carbon (similar shape to the wheels used in F1)? Edit: and would Fanatec even be your recommended choice or would you go with another manufacturer's products?

Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0
I would not write off the GT Omega Art for a starter cockpit. It is NOT 80/20 quality, lol, but for the price I am happy with it. That said, knowing what I know now for me personally, I would probably look at spending a bit more on an 80/20 build but that is because:

• I use VR - so no triple screen mounting cost.
  • I tinker and have added a lot of goodies. Mounting to the ART means drilling 99% of the time.
    • 80/20 I could just add a piece here and there and bolt it on with NO drilling.
  • Long term upgradeability - regardless of WHAT you want to add 80/20 supports it one way or another. Tactile, wind, motion, isolation, etc.
  • I am NOT a fan of the seat that came with my ART. I could have used a real car seat if I had to with 80/20 until I saved for a proper seat. Seats can be cheap at the junkyard.
I went with the ART. I like it. For me it fits and is comfortable enough. It's more stable than I expected, and if you buy the casters, very mobile which is a must for my setup (dual use PC). I am NOT happy with the seat. AT ALL. The rails were misaligned, bent, idk something. I had to take them apart to even mount them up. Even now they are cockeyed. But - the rest of the rig I am happy with. Super easy install, and pretty flexible in terms of adjustments. It is NOT perfect, but for the cost, meh. Big bonus was NO BAR between your legs. That was a deal breaker if it had one for me.

Upvote 0
Hi maelstrom. The components I have are:
Ryzen 5 2600 Gen2 6 Core AM4 Processor
MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC GDDR5 Graphics Card
8GB RAM (2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX)
MSI B450M PRO-VDH AM4 DDR4 mATX Motherboard

I'm no PC Expert, but those specs strike me as a little less than ideal for sim racing. But still doable with most sims.

Regarding your wheel question - I would not limit myself to an F1-style rim. You said that you want to race all kinds of cars on all types of tracks - therefore a "generic shape" (ie - round) works best.

Since you're just starting out, an economical choice might be a Logitech G27 or G29 or one of the basic Thrustmaster wheels.

Upvote 0
So basically my only option is continue using my single screen monitor?

If you want good framerates, then probably yes. Some sims put less of a strain on your system than others but with your hardware, reasonable framerates on a single 1080p monitor is probably what you should be aiming for. Even then, with something like Assetto Corsa Competizione you're going to be running at mid to low settings.

Upvote 0
If you want good framerates, then probably yes. Some sims put less of a strain on your system than others but with your hardware, reasonable framerates on a single 1080p monitor is probably what you should be aiming for. Even then, with something like Assetto Corsa Competizione you're going to be running at mid to low settings.
What would you recommend as the minimum hardware to be able to run three screens?

Upvote 0
I have had to go the budget route too...retired due to ill health money is tight,
I went use for all my gear. I have a 50in 4k tv and Oculus rift VR, g920 wheel and pedalsand shifter.
Home made cockpit(wood and a subaru impreza wrc seat, just added a butt kicker 2.
Total spent so far around £400. It might not be the envy of anyone on here, but I get alot of fun out of it.and runs every game I throw at it pc specs are:-
I5 3570k
GTX1070
24GB ram
And putting money aside to improve as I go. so a small budget does not mean small set up, and as and when I go better/bigger I can sell my bits for what I paid for them.

look around ebay and on here for some go deals on used stuff

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 10.6%