Advice on getting started in sim racing

Hi guys, first time poster here. I've been looking to get started in sim racing for a while and I wanted to ask for some advice based on my specific circumstances. I'm keen to get a setup that provides as realistic an experience as possible, without breaking the bank, and was wondering if people would recommend going for a triple screen set up or a VR headset? Also, what wheel/pedal setup would you recommend for a beginner looking for a realistic SIM racing experience?

I currently have a normal office desk and chair with wheels. Is it possible to use a chair with wheels or would I have to get a separate seat? If separate, has anyone ever tried the Playseat Challenge and would you recommend it or an alternative?

I would like to be able to race different kinds of cars and tracks, and so if anyone has a preferred game that would allow for this and still provide as much realism as possible I would love to hear peoples' up-to-date/latest thoughts on the most appropriate game.

Appreciate any help people can offer!

26 March, as far as I’m aware.

I have the T300 with the F1 wheel: https://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/products-steering-wheels/ferrari-f1-wheel-add-on.html. I had considered the Open Wheel but you get more assignable buttons on the F1 wheel. I like it, you just need to ignore the simulated controls in the centre of the wheel!
Do you race just F1 or other types of car as well? Have you found the additional buttons useful e.g. do you make use out of all of them or are some of them a bit overkill?

Edit: thanks for the release date.

Upvote 0
Do you race just F1 or other types of car as well? Have you found the additional buttons useful e.g. do you make use out of all of them or are some of them a bit overkill?

I use it mainly for GT3 in ACC. I find it useful to have the extra buttons/controls as I don’t have a button box and my keyboard is just too far away to comfortably reach whilst driving. I found that there weren’t enough buttons on the default wheel that came with the wheelbase which has, I think, the same number as the Open Wheel. Other than aesthetics, I don’t think you really gain anything with the Open Wheel over the default wheel.

Upvote 0
I use it mainly for GT3 in ACC. I find it useful to have the extra buttons/controls as I don’t have a button box and my keyboard is just too far away to comfortably reach whilst driving. I found that there weren’t enough buttons on the default wheel that came with the wheelbase which has, I think, the same number as the Open Wheel. Other than aesthetics, I don’t think you really gain anything with the Open Wheel over the default wheel.
But do you actually use all the buttons on it or some are redundant?

Upvote 0
But do you actually use all the buttons on it or some are redundant?

I've only recently bought the wheel. I use most of them, but a couple are currently surplus to requirement. That's more because I haven't looked into what I can assign to them rather than having too many. Better to have too many than not enough.

Upvote 0
I see. Out of rF2 and AC, and including the mods for both, which would you say as a wider selection of cars and tracks?
If the important question is, between rF2 and AC, which has the most variety in terms of cars and tracks (including free mods) - I would give AC the nod. FFB and physics - I would give rF2 the nod. It all depends on what's most important to you.

Upvote 0
No, but apart from the suede grips and the shape, I couldn't see what it offered over the standard wheel. I wanted more buttons/controls so the F1 wheel was the only option.

Just to double check, is the TM Open Wheel add on compatible with the TX Racing Wheel Servo Base i.e. the Xbox version? https://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/products-steering-wheels/tx-servo-base.html
If I look at the list of compatible wheels on that page I linked to above, the TM Open Wheel add on doesn't appear to be included...

Also, if I look at this page, it says the TM Open Wheel add on is compatible with the T300RS Servo Base, but doesn't specify compatibility with the TX Servo Base. https://www.quzo.net/thrustmaster-tm-open-wheel-add-on-4060114-pid186234.html

Upvote 0
@JE20 - if you look on the Open Wheel product page, it list the TX wheel base as compatible:

Do you specifically need XBox compatibility? If not, it's worth noting that the T300 has 1080° of rotation compared to 900° on the TX. I dont think you'd actually notice the difference but it's worth considering. Otherwise, they are internally identical.

Upvote 0
@JE20 - if you look on the Open Wheel product page, it list the TX wheel base as compatible:

Do you specifically need XBox compatibility? If not, it's worth noting that the T300 has 1080° of rotation compared to 900° on the TX. I dont think you'd actually notice the difference but it's worth considering. Otherwise, they are internally identical.
I don't need xbox or PS compatitbility, but the TX base only is available on Amazon and the T300 base only is not, and Amazon is cheaper than ordering it directly it seems. Happy to hear any other suggestions for places to order from...

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Prizes

• Trophies

• Forum trophies