A cautionary tale for all UK sim racers considering a purchase from Fanatec - Post Brexit

• Thread starter Deleted member 696088
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 696088

• Deleted member 696088

Fanatec Delivery Delayed
Delivery date received - No delivery
Shipment currently still in Germany
Shipment delivered 11/2/2021

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume Fanatec was already charging the UK 20% rate before Brexit anyway, since they were most likely above the annual sales threshold, see:

where the goods are located when the dispatch or transport to the customer ends for distance saleswhen the supplier's annual sales are above the threshold applied by the customer's Member State [Article 33 of the VAT Directive]
(https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/eu-vat-rules-topic/where-tax_en)

I highly doubt a 10£ brokerage fee is going to stop any serious buyers.

Upvote 0
Fanatec are going to need a UK store for orders unless they want to sell less

It's not the store as much as the warehouse. If they're shipping in from Europe then charges are applied at the UK border. Welcome to Brexit. We got so use to borderless transactions that suddenly this is a major surprise to us, but it's here to stay.

Not all websites have caught up with the process, and will therefore charge VAT at source and you'll be charged VAT at the border too. In those cases you'll need to wrangle a refund from the supplier. These will reduce over time I'm sure.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea